Dimio's Tools - DSynchronize, DSpeech, etc.

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
rw14c

Dimio's Tools - DSynchronize, DSpeech, etc.

#1 Post by rw14c »

DShutdown is a stand-alone program that allows you to easily shutdown local or remote PCs, with many specific options.

DSynchronize is a stand-alone utility that let you periodically synchronize two or more folders on Hard Disk, Floppy Disk, LAN, USB Key, CD-DVD (with packet writing software) and FTP server.

DTaskManager, obviously, is a Task-Manager, but specifically engineered to give additional functionalities that the Windows bundled TaskManager (and other third party products) do not have:

---

http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/

TPFC Fan

#2 Post by TPFC Fan »

Very nice little programs.
They all found a new home on my HD :D

Fluffy

#3 Post by Fluffy »

Added DShutdown and DTaskManager, and updated the existing entry for DSynchronize. Thanks!

webfork

Re: Dimio's Tools

#5 Post by webfork »

Getting a bunch of crashes on the PortableApps version of DTaskManager 1.54.  One at initial startup, one when I clicked on the Ports tab, and then it wouldn't start at all.  Win7x86 works fine but Win7x64 is problematic. Is anyone else seeing this?  Just wanted to ask before I submitted something to Dimino.

I'm not picking on the PortableApps version, I literally can't test the natively portable version due to a security system on the 64-bit device. (And yes I'm aware that might be causing the problem.)

billon

#6 Post by billon »

Deep Explorer
http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/#DExplorer
Deep Explorer is a tool very similar to the Windows Explorer, but it allows you to view and operate on paths much longer than canonical 260 characters of Windows.

The length limit of the paths, which is normally limited to 260 characters, goes up to 32,000 characters.

DExplorer allows you to recover, move and delete files and folders at this level of depth that is not accessible or erasable neither from Explorer nor from the Command Shell, which do not support this depth.

Another interesting function is the Hard Delete which allows to gain a complete non-recoverable deletion even with undelete tools since both name and contents of files are overwritten with random data.

The program is stand-alone and requires no installation.

===============================================================================

Double Finder
http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/#DoubleFinder
Double Finder is a program to search for duplicates, that is, duplicate files that take up unnecessary space on the disk.

The program has a very fast algorithm that is able to quickly find all the duplicate files one or more times and present them in a detailed list.
At this point it will be possible to examine them one by one or even delete them all at once.

Practical experience has shown that often the elimination of duplicates can also free hundreds of GB on a medium HD, since practically all the HDs, over time, tend to accumulate unnecessary duplication of images, and multimedia files that can occupy also a lot of space.

As usual, the program is stand-alone and requires no installation.

Specular

#7 Post by Specular »

billon wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:36 pmDeep Explorer is a tool very similar to the Windows Explorer, but it allows you to view and operate on paths much longer than canonical 260 characters of Windows.

DExplorer allows you to recover, move and delete files and folders at this level of depth that is not accessible or erasable neither from Explorer nor from the Command Shell, which do not support this depth.

Another interesting function is the Hard Delete which allows to gain a complete non-recoverable deletion even with undelete tools since both name and contents of files are overwritten with random data.
Nice find. I'll keep this in mind for such scenarios. Modern versions of Windows actually allow longer paths but they still keep File Explorer with the 260 max length limitation which is ridiculous.

Toxteth O'Grady

DTaskManager process priority

#8 Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

"Auto manage priority of processes".

When using this option, DTaskManager switches process priority to idle when necessary. However, it seems to me it doesn't restore priority back to the normal\previous state when possible, i.e. I think it is stuck at idle. This seems to be too stupid to be true. I am right?

webfork

Re: DTaskManager process priority

#9 Post by webfork »

Toxteth O'Grady wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:55 pm ... it seems to me it doesn't restore priority back to the normal\previous state when possible, i.e. I think it is stuck at idle.
I tested a somewhat older version (1.56.29) on Win7x86 and I'm not seeing that issue. It should be possible to select multiple process and set to Normal or other priority.

Toxteth O'Grady

Re: DTaskManager process priority

#10 Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

webfork wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:15 pm
Toxteth O'Grady wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:55 pm ... it seems to me it doesn't restore priority back to the normal\previous state when possible, i.e. I think it is stuck at idle.
I tested a somewhat older version (1.56.29) on Win7x86 and I'm not seeing that issue. It should be possible to select multiple process and set to Normal or other priority.

No, it turns out I was right. I emailed the developer and he confirmed that Dtaskmanager (auto manage priority option) doesn't restore priority to the previous state. It switches processes that are temporarily hogging the CPU to "idle" state and leaves it at that. Not restoring when possible seems an odd choice to me, but what do I know.