JPEGView

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
infimum

JPEGView

#1 Post by infimum »

Added to the database.
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1749

It's a very lean image viewer.

webfork

Re: JPEGView

#2 Post by webfork »

1.0.24 is out ... changes:

Bugs fixed:
· Navigation panel not truncated when window is small, instead the buttons are smaller. Tooltip texts are also no longer truncated in small windows. Modification date displayed with correct time zone adjustment

New features:
· Portuguese translation
· New windowed mode that fits window size to image size, avoiding black borders. Enable in INI file using: DefaultWindowRect=image
· New auto full screen mode that starts JPEGView in fullscreen mode when the image is larger than the screen or in windowed mode (window fit to image) when the image is small enough to fit to the screen.
· Enable in INI file using: ShowFullScreen=auto Note: This is the new default value in the INI file.

Changed behaviour:
· In the EXIF display (F2), the file name is broken into multiple lines when it is very long
· F11 key is now used for toggling full screen (used to be Ctrl-W). Navigation panel visibility now uses Ctrl-N (instead of F11)
· If the first image shown is smaller than the screen, JPEGView now...

zandet2

#3 Post by zandet2 »

Please note that JPEGView is not natively portable; to let the program save the settings into the program folder, and use it from an usb device, is necessary to modify the row n. 18 on the JPEGView.ini, putting
StoreToEXEPath=true
otherwise, the settings and the db files will be saved in "C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\JPEGView".

More informations can be found here: http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.889

The JPEGView page should be updated to report this method implemented directly from the author.

best regards
zandet2

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

zandet2 wrote:Please note that JPEGView is not natively portable; to let the program save the settings into the program folder, and use it from an usb device, is necessary to modify the row n. 18 on the JPEGView.ini, putting
StoreToEXEPath=true
otherwise, the settings and the db files will be saved in "C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\JPEGView".

More informations can be found here: http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.889

The JPEGView page should be updated to report this method implemented directly from the author.
I think I can see how this issue slipped past us. I tested this today and found on Win XP SP3 this happens when you select "edit user settings" rather than "edit global settings". Also, it didn't save the database file to the appdata folder. If someone doesn't use the "edit user settings" option, its still portable. Setting the item in row 18 to "true" grays out the "edit user settings" option.

I can't verify that Win 7 or Vista have behavior zandet2 points out, but even on XP someone could unknowingly or accidentally disable program portability, so I think its worth it to make a note. I'll go ahead and edit the entry.

Thanks for the heads-up, zandet2.

ZioZione

#5 Post by ZioZione »

Hi webfork,
webfork wrote:
zandet2 wrote:Please note that JPEGView is not natively portable; to let the program save the settings into the program folder, and use it from an usb device, is necessary to modify the row n. 18 on the JPEGView.ini, putting
StoreToEXEPath=true

I think I can see how this issue slipped past us. I tested this today and found on Win XP SP3 this happens when you select "edit user settings" rather than "edit global settings". Also, it didn't save the database file to the appdata folder. If someone doesn't use the "edit user settings" option, its still portable. Setting the item in row 18 to "true" grays out the "edit user settings" option.

I can't verify that Win 7 or Vista have behavior zandet2 points out, but even on XP someone could unknowingly or accidentally disable program portability, so I think its worth it to make a note. I'll go ahead and edit the entry.

Thanks for the heads-up, zandet2.
I don't exactly understand what you mean writing "this happens": what is "this", the not-portability issue?

Anyway, if this helps, I just tested JPEGView under Vista (Home Premium) and I confirm what described above by zandet2. Changing, first of all, the option "StoreToEXEPath" to "true", it grays out the "edit user settings", avoiding to select this option. But also selecting "Edit global settings", JPEGView still saves, by default, these settings under its own folder; the same happens saving the parameters Db. I cannot figure out how someone could disable program portability without editing the .ini file... or, of course, saving its settings outside of the program folder... :lol:
Thank you for editing the program entry, now is more clear what to do!
Best Regards
ZioZione

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

ZioZione wrote:
webfork wrote:I think I can see how this issue slipped past us.
I don't exactly understand what you mean writing "this happens": what is "this", the not-portability issue?
"This" = the issue zandet2 brought up.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Finally got a chance to test this at length and definitely liking it. The description about how a regular photo editor will be needed less often is certainly the case. Still, I couldn't figure out how to make it do the slideshow function. It's mentioned in the config but ... anyway...

Wishlist:
  • This is my biggest issue: in windowed mode, I'd like to better control how the toolbar appears and disappears. Right now it seems to hover for much too long (sort of a distraction). If there was a way to either make it fade out quickly or only show up with a keypress, that would be ideal.
  • Ability to just have the window by itself, nothing loaded. I recognize there may be something in the config file for this, I might have missed it. I often paste copied images into a viewer program to save it, so this would be helpful
  • Optional disable image smoothing (Ghacks has a good explanation about why you'd want to, although their example uses Mozilla)
  • Ability to "select all" under default viewer item (workaround was to click the top item, press spacebar, and then the down key, then repeat spacebar, down key, spacebar, downkey for all entries.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

I just retested JPEGview and found that it's now natively portable with no text file edits necessary. Wish I'd updated sooner.

Anyway, I've updated the official entry with the new setup procedure.

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

So it looks like PA switched over their entry to a same-name project fork: https://github.com/sylikc/jpegview

Changelog: https://github.com/sylikc/jpegview/releases

The program used to me my viewer program of choice but it's fallen off my radar since then. Anyway, with four years since the last release, I don't see any issue with switching. Any objections?

FileHandler

#10 Post by FileHandler »

Good to hear that it will be continued. JPEGView has been my default viewer for many years. Very customizable, once you find your way around in the ini- and Keymap files.

Amazing speed and thanks to %exepath% it allows portable paths to other tools (Faststone to sort out, JpgIlluminator to edit, etc.) It's become my dashboard for images, from where I hand them over to other apps, if necessary.

Midas

#11 Post by Midas »

FTR and the sake of transparecy, here's JPEGview sylikc's fork (slightly edited) full changelog to date:

Code: Select all

+ Mar 30, 2022
v1.0.40

* Updated to latest dcraw 9.28 (6/1/2018)
   PR #30, thanks kakuty

Previous version of dcraw in JPEGView was from 2008.

Other changes:

* Created new MSI installer for JPEGView using WiX. It's rudimentary, but
  functional. See v1.0.39.1 MSI Installer Pre-Release for all the details.
* Updated Japanese translation, thanks maboroshin PR #46
* Updated to Turbo JPEG version 2.1.3 (2/25/2022)
* Updated to Google's WebP library version 1.2.2 HEAD at commit 7a68afa (3/21/2022)

+ Mar 12, 2022
v1.0.39.1 MSI Installer Pre-Release Pre-release

This is a new WiX Installer that I've been working on for the past few weeks.

See discussion here. #32

It's very rudimentary, but the goal is to get it working just enough to get into
winget repository.

If you get a chance, please test the installer and leave a comment in the
discussion. I know it looks like it was written in the early 2000s sweat_smile,
but I'll take any suggestions you may have. Please go test in a VM, on
32bit/64-bit, or even on an old XP machine rofl. Thanks!

I consider this a BETA release. I've done my fair share of testing, and I'll be
using it day to day installed. But any community feedback is always welcomed!

Right now it will by default:

* Install to Program Files
* 32-bit will only run on 32-bit windows, 64-bit runs on 64-bit
  (at least that's what it's supposed to do!)
* Currently only available for English (US) localization
* Create Desktop Shortcut
* Create Start Menu Shortcuts (App + Readme)
* For JPG files only (wip) - right-click open-with available action
* If you select a JPG file and open with other program, JPEGView should be in
  that list

+ Feb 11, 2022
v1.0.39.1

Bugs fixed:

* Fixed bug introduced in 1.0.39 which caused other menu items in the popup
  to disappear #39

+ Feb 10, 2022
v1.0.39

New features:

* Add new command "Open containing folder in Explorer"
  Default shortcut key: "W"
  This pops up and selects the file in Windows Explorer.

Other changes:

* Updated to Turbo JPEG version 2.1.2 (11/18/2021)
* Updated to Google's WebP library version 1.2.2 HEAD at commit ec178f2 (2/2/2022)

+ Jan 30, 2022
v1.0.38

Bugs fixed:

* INI: Removed quotes around ColorCorrection setting.
  Values enclosed in quotes are ignored and hardcoded defaults are used.
  PR #12, thanks oughtsz

New features:

* Adds transparency support for WEBP format.
  Honors "TransparencyColor" INI setting.
  PR #27, thanks KrokusPokus

Other changes:

* Updated Greek translation, thanks George
* Updated Chinese Simplified translation, thanks dukeng
* Rename Russian INI template to match localized INI naming convention
* Added LICENSE.txt to explicitly specify the GPLv2 copyright

+May 12, 2021
v1.0.37.1

No functional changes other than Turbo JPEG and WebP library updates

Other changes:

* First release from sylikc's GitHub
* Using Visual Studio 2019 Community Edition to compile
* Updated to Turbo JPEG version 2.1.0 (4/23/2021)
* Updated to Google's WebP library version 1.2.0 HEAD at commit 05b72d4 (4/28/2021)

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:00 am I don't see any issue with switching. Any objections?
Update here: Andrew went ahead and made the change, which is appreciated.
FileHandler wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:33 am Amazing speed and thanks to %exepath% it allows portable paths to other tools (Faststone to sort out, JpgIlluminator to edit, etc.) It's become my dashboard for images, from where I hand them over to other apps, if necessary.
Good to know, I never got that setup. The speed and simplicity was the primary draw for me.

Andrew Lee

#13 Post by Andrew Lee »

webfork wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:02 pm Update here: Andrew went ahead and made the change, which is appreciated.
My bad :oops:

I intended to drop a note here after I updated the entry, but got side-tracked by something else.

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:30 pm I intended to drop a note here after I updated the entry, but got side-tracked by something else.
No issue at all -- I was going to do the same thing in a few days unless there were objections.

webfork

#15 Post by webfork »

Now at version 1.2.45 with support for lots more formats, including AVIF and animated WebP, PNG, and GIF formats. Note that this is the sylikc fork.

Great stuff.

https://github.com/sylikc/jpegview

EDIT: Works great, very sharp