TrackWinstall (system modifications tracker)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Midas

TrackWinstall (system modifications tracker)

#1 Post by Midas »

TrackWinstall is a system changes tracker I've known for ages, viewing it as the most likely candidate to replace PRiMo (http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... php?t=8164) for general portability testing, mostly because it has had a native 64 bits version since inception. Sadly, old habits are hard to shake and since I only use 64 bits Windows sporadically, my evaluation of it keeps getting postponed. I decided not to wait anymore and am submitting it, hoping other members will test it and condone its use (Sofpedia states that TrackWinstall is portable, see http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Sys ... tall.shtml)

A rather prominent feature of TrackWinstall is its capability to track changes across reboots; it also offers a dual mode for file system checking -- by time stamp or file hash (MD5) -- and a (convenient for scripting) console version on top.

Be forewarned that TrackWinstall's webpage (http://www.withopf.com/tools/trackwinstall/) is in German, but the first link on it offers to translate it via Google; on launching, the program will default to an English interface and online help.
  • TrackWinstall author wrote:TrackWinstall tracks the changes made to your system by program installers, including registry entries and file system alterations. Use One-Click-Mode for simple installs and Two-Phase Mode for setups requiring a reboot.
Download current TrackWinstall 32 or 64 bits version (v1.1.5) from http://www.withopf.com/tools/trackwinstall/.

(FTR, I previously mentioned TrackWinstall at http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 801#p61801)
Last edited by Midas on Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Napiophelios

Re: TrackWinstall (system modifications tracker)

#2 Post by Napiophelios »

On windowsXPSP3 x32;

Creates an empty folder: userprofile\appdata\TrackWinstall

Creates a registry key entry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\c't
(this may be temporary just between snapshots)

Its still a keeper :)

tproli

#3 Post by tproli »

I gave it a try but making the filesystem snapshot took more than 10 minutes so I finally opted out :)

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

tproli wrote:I gave it a try but making the filesystem snapshot took more than 10 minutes so I finally opted out :)
  • That's because TrackWinstall defaults to hashing everything in '%WINDIR%' and '%COMMONPROGRAMFILES%' with MD5 (see the end of this post), which I'm afraid is extremely slow... :roll:

You can change program "Options" before snapshoting -- or use the console version.

-----

TrackWinstall console version usage note.

• Code: Select all

TrackWinstall-Console.exe [<DirName> ...] [-v] [-SkipMD5] [-OnlyReg] [-OnlyFiles] [-Load:<FileName>] [-Save:<FileName>]
    [/size]
    Upon execution, 'TrackWinstall-Console.exe' will immediatly launch its system snapshot routine, with default options (see bellow), at the end of which it will pause itself, awaiting user input to launch the second phase (verification of changes); for portability checking purposes, I'd recommend the use of a command like the following:

TrackWinstall-Console.exe %SYSTEMDRIVE% -SkipMD5 -Save:test.sna
    [/size]
    The second phase can then be freely aborted with CTRL+C; to re-launch the verification, use a command like:

TrackWinstall-Console.exe -v -Load:test.sna > test-results.log
    [/size]
    Recorded changes could then be conveniently read from 'test-results.log'...
    • TrackWinstall Help author wrote:The standard settings for TrackWinstall are:
      [*]complete monitoring of all files within the Windows folder using MD5 checksums
      [*]complete monitoring of all files within the "Common Files" folder using MD5 checksums
      [*]complete monitoring of all files within the "Documents and Settings " folder using timestamp analysis

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

Napiophelios wrote:On windowsXPSP3 x32;

Creates an empty folder: userprofile\appdata\TrackWinstall

Creates a registry key entry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\c't

Napiophelios

#6 Post by Napiophelios »

I have been using Systracer and its very fast but not free (its portable too).

Even tho its slow,TrackWinstall's md5 hashing is what I like about it most.
It didnt take ten minutes like Tpr, but it was around three minutes to complete the snapshot.

I believe the registry entry is made when you opt to reboot then take the second snapshot
Its probly temp cuz the program doesnt have any real options to configure.

I wanna see if I can use it with JauntePE,maybe I will have a virtual installer/install logger/extractor...if it works right.Makes testing new programs a breeze when it doesnt actually install anywhere :)

Midas

#7 Post by Midas »

Great! Do keep us posted on your findings... :mrgreen:

I'd like to add that the verification step (in the TrackWinstall console usage note above) can also be done from the GUI via the "Load" button...