SeaMonkey - browser, email, newsgroups, chat, HTML editor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
loin2kolpotoru

SeaMonkey - browser, email, newsgroups, chat, HTML editor

#1 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Finally SeaMonkey Portable is Released.
I was Waiting for Long Time for It.
Three Cheers to All SeaMonkey Fans.

Download it From -
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/s ... y_portable

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

webfork

Re: SeaMonkey Portable

#2 Post by webfork »

Any reason this was never added? Its up to 2.0.4 now.

Although the browser itself is probably the slowest on the site, it also has a stable and well-maintained, email, irc client, and html editor. I'm not sure if that means its worth posting, just that someone might find a use for it.

Emka

#3 Post by Emka »

2.0.9 now!

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

This is among a list of programs I'm putting off adding just because I've been occupied with other things.

I kept thinking this program would croak at some point and the maintainers would drop it but instead its actually encroaching on the untouched KompoZer program SeaMonkey originally spawned.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Made several entries to:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail\username@domain.com

The program leaving behind your email address (its not literally username@domain.com -- I swapped that for my real email address) on a computer you use, that's not ideal. Definitely not stealth.

However, RegFromApp didn't pick this up so its possible this is a Windows feature and not something that SeaMonkey did. I still don't know enough about the Windows registry to say one way or the other. Can someone speak to this?

Although the browser seems to have caught up in a big way to Firefox, the mail client appears to have fallen well behind the Thunderbird offering.

JohnTHaller

#6 Post by JohnTHaller »

webfork wrote:Made several entries to:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail\username@domain.com
It's your account name (not your email address unless you name your account the same as your email address instead of "Personal", "Work", etc) and it's a useless Windows feature to show your unread mail count from the login screen. And it is handled by the launcher (I just verified it myself with a test), cleaning it up on exit and restoring any UnreadMail bits left behind. Are you sure it is left behind on exit? Did you launch using the launcher (not seamonkey.exe)? Did you set it as the default handler for something and have it launched that way?
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

> Are you sure it is left behind on exit? Did you launch using the launcher (not seamonkey.exe)?

Yes to both. I used SystemExplorer's snapshots feature and I can provide detailed logs and information if needed. Just to make sure I didn't misread the log, I went back and pulled up regedit:

> Did you set it as the default handler for something and have it launched that way?

Nope. This is a clean Windows install under VMware so I can revert to the original Windows state after every test. No special settings or changes were made.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

This may have gotten cleared up. I haven't tested yet, but here's the post addressing it.

donald

#9 Post by donald »

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

donald wrote:Please vote now. SeaMonkey, Portable Edition
Thanks for finally adding that, donald. I was always a fan of Communicator and continue to be a big fan of the included HTML editor, but didn't see any interest.

I do hope future versions of the software pull in Sunbird's calendar client (or via Lightning).

guinness

#11 Post by guinness »

Thanks John for updating the Icon, I was in the midst of doing it :D

Midas

#12 Post by Midas »

Quick note about how my growing frustration with the way Firefox has been evolving finally reached breaking point with the latest v45, which consumes about 1GB of memory from the start and keeps stuttering on my Windows 7 x64 SP1. So I decided to give portable Seamonkey (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2089) a whirl and I must say come out pretty pleased with the first results...

It should be said that the latest Seamonkey release (v2.40) is based on the Mozilla v43.x engine. Moreover, I have no need for a full program suite -- with mail and chat clients and HTML editor -- so I immediately started tweaking the PortableApps version to make it more amenable to my taste (you can judge the results by the screenshot below).

I intend to detail here the gist of my customizations, so I can return to it should I need it; also, it might be of use to someone else.

Let me start with extensions. On first look, most of Firefox extensions aren't even compatible with Seamonkey. To make the case worse, a lot of the extensions present in the official Seamonkey addons page appear not to work with the latest version. :shock:

Fret not, succor is on the way. Back in 2013, user robertcollier4 commented with a method to overcome this limitation (see http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2089#comment24727) that, while doesn't guarantee 100% success, still works fine for many extensions.

Better yet, anyone wanting to make sure that an essential extension would work with Seamonkey is advised to check the Extension Compatibility Tables for SeaMonkey homepage, at http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/compatibility/ -- which also offers automatic conversion and installation services for compatible entries, should you be willing to trust the page (you shouldn't, by all means).

An even simpler (albeit completely counter-intuitive) route is available. If while going to be "Mozilla Add-ons" webpage you get a message like the one displayed below, you can still go ahead and click the "Download Anyway" link and follow suit to install it -- the worst that can happen is you will get a non-working extension, which you can easily remove via Seamonkey's 'Add-ons Manager' interface.

That being cleared, there are two add-ons that were fundamental to get the familiar interface look shown above:
Sea Fox brings back the familiar interface to prior Firefox users, while doing away with some weird behaviors. Tiny Menu (attached to the top left big Seamonkey button, an icon readily provided by the PAF package in the 'App\AppInfo' sub-folder) gave me the vertical menu I was already using in Firefox -- one caveat is Tiny Menu can't be placed next to the toolbar buttons, but all toolbar elements can instead be moved next to it.

There were many other tweaks, but I'll be stopping for now... To Be Continued. :)
Last edited by Midas on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

billon

#13 Post by billon »

Midas wrote:about 1GB of memory
How is that possible? To many addons? Hundreds of tabs? x64 version? Electrolysis?
Only 150 MB from the start with v45 for me on XP

JohnTHaller

#14 Post by JohnTHaller »

billon wrote:
How is that possible? To many addons? Hundreds of tabs? x64 version? Electrolysis?
Not in every situation, but slowdowns are nearly always a really badly behaved extension. This is one reason that Firefox is switching to the lighter weight extensions model later this year. Power users would often load up on a ton of mostly-unnecessary poorly-maintained extensions and then get frustrated that Firefox was slow and used too much memory. They'd switch to a clean version of Chrome and think "Ooo, this is so much faster" and add in just a handful of extensions that are the lighter weight kind Firefox is switching to. Not claiming this is going on here, of course, because every situation is different.

The memory itself, though, can be mostly ignored. Firefox will dynamically allocate memory based on how much your system has and how much is free to use as a RAM cache for pages in addition to the disk cache.

I cut down my Firefox to just uBlock with a specific set of filters and reset all the settings. It's nice and fast and light.

ADDED NOTE: It's also worth noting that Firefox x64 uses quite a bit more RAM than x86. Firefox Portable automatically switches between them based on the OS.
Last edited by JohnTHaller on Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

shnbwmn

#15 Post by shnbwmn »

billon wrote:
Was about to post the same thing. I use Firefox with about 13 (damn good) extensions, as a rule having only about 6-9 tabs open at any one time, and have on average about 380Mb mem use. Sometimes on Lifehacker tech articles about browsers, I see comments where people say they have 150-200 tabs open, and then they complain that the browser crashes on them ... :roll:

Tabs should be managed in GTD fashion to be any useful.
Last edited by shnbwmn on Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.