Pale Moon - web browser

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
SYSTEM

Re: Pale Moon

#16 Post by SYSTEM »

The 3.x versions of Pale Moon have been just optimized Firefox builds, but the 4.x series is becoming a fork of Firefox. :| See http://www.palemoon.org/pm4-dev.shtml.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#17 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote:The author has published the modifications
I didn't see this when you first posted -- thanks.

On a related note, they have introduced redistribution restrictions, even though its probably incompatible with both the MPL and GPL: http://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml

m^(2)

#18 Post by m^(2) »

It's incompatible with GPL for sure, but it doesn't have to be. I don't know MPL too well, but it seems to me there are no problems with it.

SYSTEM

#19 Post by SYSTEM »

m^(2) wrote:It's incompatible with GPL for sure
In addition...
GNU General Public License wrote: All other non-permissive additional terms are considered "further
restrictions" within the meaning of section 10. If the Program as you
received it, or any part of it, contains a notice stating that it is
governed by this License along with a term that is a further
restriction, you may remove that term.
Some of the restrictions can be simply ignored.

m^(2)

#20 Post by m^(2) »

SYSTEM wrote:
m^(2) wrote:It's incompatible with GPL for sure
In addition...
GNU General Public License wrote: All other non-permissive additional terms are considered "further
restrictions" within the meaning of section 10. If the Program as you
received it, or any part of it, contains a notice stating that it is
governed by this License along with a term that is a further
restriction, you may remove that term.
Some of the restrictions can be simply ignored.
No. Mozilla gave it to the Pale Moon team under GPL / LGPL / MPL of their choice.
Clearly, they chose MPL and provided the stuff to you under a restrictive license (which MPL allows (in general case, still not 100% sure it's OK here)). You're obligated to use the license given by Pale Moon or take software from sb. else. Which is not exactly the same software.

BTW I'm using Pale Moon for several months and I can't really recommend it because it breaks some sites. It's rare and not a deal big enough to switch back now because I'm migrating from this PC anyway, but if it was available on FreeBSD, I wouldn't use it anyway.

SYSTEM

#21 Post by SYSTEM »

m^(2) wrote: No. Mozilla gave it to the Pale Moon team under GPL / LGPL / MPL of their choice.
Clearly, they chose MPL and provided the stuff to you under a restrictive license (which MPL allows (in general case, still not 100% sure it's OK here)). You're obligated to use the license given by Pale Moon or take software from sb. else. Which is not exactly the same software.
From the redistribution page (emphasis added):
Even though Pale Moon is open source and supplied under the MPL/GPL/LGPL tri-license, redistribution of the binaries is limited by certain conditions.
m^(2) wrote: BTW I'm using Pale Moon for several months and I can't really recommend it because it breaks some sites. It's rare and not a deal big enough to switch back now because I'm migrating from this PC anyway, but if it was available on FreeBSD, I wouldn't use it anyway.
Interesting, I haven't noticed that. (But Pale Moon is only my secondary browser anyway.)

m^(2)

#22 Post by m^(2) »

SYSTEM wrote: From the redistribution page (emphasis added):
Even though Pale Moon is open source and supplied under the MPL/GPL/LGPL tri-license, redistribution of the binaries is limited by certain conditions.
Oh, sorry, I missed that.
That's weird. And funny because it indeed invalidates their own restrictions.

Danix

#23 Post by Danix »

webfork wrote:On a related note, they have introduced redistribution restrictions, even though its probably incompatible with both the MPL and GPL: http://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml
If I understand correctly, this restrictive license governs Pale Moon, but also Pale Moon Portable as a whole. It's funny because Pale Moon Portable uses the winPenPack Platform (Palemoon-Portable.exe and Palemoon-Portable.ini), that is governed by the winPenPack License Agreement (practically by the GPL: "Materials and software created by winPenPack Team, except where indicated, are released under GNU General Public License"). I think if Pale Moon's developers are free to release Pale Moon binaries under the MPL with these conditions, they should not place such strict limitations for the launcher that must be released under the GNU General Public License, without those restrictions.

SYSTEM

#24 Post by SYSTEM »

Pale Moon Portable 7.0 crashes on startup on some systems, including mine.

As a result, I decided to hold the entry for now.

Erkhyan

#25 Post by Erkhyan »

That thread says it was fixed pretty fast. Did you try that one too?

SYSTEM

#26 Post by SYSTEM »

Erkhyan wrote:That thread says it was fixed pretty fast. Did you try that one too?
No, because I wasn't aware of the fix.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try Pale Moon Portable 7.0a right now. :)

Edit: Yep, version 7.0a fixes the issue. Entry updated. :)

webfork

#27 Post by webfork »

[Moderator note:

This thread has spawned two others for web browsers:

... these were moved to a separate area to avoid a thread hijack.]

webfork

#28 Post by webfork »

Was looking at the Pale Moon wikipedia page to see if I could track down some kind of independent speed testing for it (or WaterFox) and was amused by the favorable editing of the Wikipedia page with the italics used in the sentence Pale Moon works with an optimized code base that takes full advantage of modern processor instruction sets.

Yes. Full advantage.

Midas

#29 Post by Midas »

Since this thread has spawned more browser topics than you could shake a hand at (my exaggeration, I know), it's only fair that the latest browser comparative by Raymond.cc be posted here:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/battle-of-th ... ory-usage/

guinness

#30 Post by guinness »

Midas wrote:Since this thread has spawned more browser topics than you could shake a hand at (my exaggeration, I know), it's only fair that the latest browser comparative by Raymond.cc be posted here:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/battle-of-th ... ory-usage/
Certainly an interesting test, can't say I'm surprised at some of the results. :mrgreen: