Coffee - portable file associations

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Lupo73

Coffee - portable file associations

#1 Post by Lupo73 »

[Mod note: this is the official forum topic for Coffee -- https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1317]

Coffee (v0.1 R3)

Category: System - Miscellaneous
Synopsis: Coffee is an improved, bug fixed and multilanguage successor of the no longer developed CAFE. It handles the double-click on files and redirect them to your portable application instead of the associated application registered in the registry. You can also define an alternate application that will be launched by holding down the ALT key during the double-click.
Writes settings to: Application folder
How to extract: Download the ZIP package and extract to a folder of your choice. Launch Coffee.exe.
Stealth: Yes
Unicode support: No
License: Open Source GPL
System Requirements: Win2K / WinXP / WinVista

This is the software page: http://www.lupopensuite.com/db/coffee.htm
Last edited by Lupo73 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

joby_toss

Re: Coffee

#2 Post by joby_toss »

I'm having some troubles with Coffee!
If I associate (for example) .pdf files with FoxitReader instead of the default AdobeReader everything is ok (opens Foxit from windows explorer) unless I try to open a .pdf from FreeComander or Q-Dir or any other file manager!!!. Then the portable association is ignored. This was also recently mentioned on the FC's forum.
What am I doing wrong? Any thoughts?
Disregard all of the above...I'm old! :cry:
Last edited by joby_toss on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donald

#3 Post by donald »

To quote Lupo73 when asked a similar/same question:
If ... you try to open a file from a software (like 7zip or FreeCommander), you can't use portable associations. It isn't a Coffee limitation, but happens because to open files from a software are used internal associations of the software itself.
I would point out that if you know how, or you know someone who does, there is a software called ResHack (a Resourse Editor) and ... perhaps enough is said though if I were speaking to the developers of FreeCommander, I would ask them to consider supporting use of modifiable associations, rather than just the current method (I assume you have checked(?) and it is not(?) supported to change.)

Also to quote Opsimathic who mentioned something which may be important (when he quoted himself and answered his own previous questions):
opsimathic wrote:
Can Coffee be configured to work with Free Commander?

Under C.A.F.E. I added the string "fenetresadditionnelles=ahk_class TfcForm" to the .ini file under the configuration section. Is there an equivalent instruction that can be used with Coffee?

Thanks!
/opsimathic

OK - I have answered my own question by taking a second look at Coffee's preferences - thanks Lupo, you have implemented a neat solution that is so much better than the original. :D

/opsimathic
If you would like to read the full exchange just go to this link: viewtopic.php?t=4915&start=15

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

:oops: :oops: :oops:
I've read those posts just a few days ago!!!
I must be getting pretty old...
Thanks and sorry!

opsimathic

#5 Post by opsimathic »

Opsimathic did indeed mention something important about enabling software such as FreeCommander and QDir to work with Coffee, unfortunately I was vague and non specific. I solved my own problem, but did not leave a good trail of info to enable others to solve their similar problems.

Coffee refers to additional file directory apps as "Monitored Windows" - each has a specific ahk_class designation - you can have several defined at one time if you like.

If you already know the ahk_class then you can type it directly into the configuration section of coffee.ini - for FreeCommander you add "managedWindows=ahk_class TfcForm|"

If, like me, you have no idea what ahk_class even is, let alone how to find it, coffee provides a simple way to proceed.

1. Start up FreeCommander, QDir or whatever app you wish to have coffee monitor (work with)
2. Right click on the coffee icon in the tray
3. Left click on 'preferences"
4. Select "Monitored Window Configuration"
5. To add another window (application) simulateously hold Shift + Win and then click the title bar of your desired application (which you already started running in step 1)
6. Click OK ... and you are done! Coffee will now work as advertised for your additional application

I have coffee set up to use FreeCommander but have tested it with QDir and have no doubt it will work with other similar apps also.

Thanks to Lupo for tidying up coffee's predecessor (C.A.F.E.) and making it work so well. :lol:

/opsimathic

Lupo73

#6 Post by Lupo73 »

I have released a revision version that includes some updates in language files.

NOTE: I'd like to translate it also in other languages, given that is a very useful software and the translation is not so long. You can post here your translations if you want to help us with it. :wink:

joby_toss

#7 Post by joby_toss »

I'll do it for my language.

One side note about Q-Dir: it supports portable associations by default (Extras>...more options>Association).
Here you can add intern file association rules for program starts. Is a god solution for portable use.
[ext]=[Path]=[parameter]
For example:
*.txt;*.ini;*.bat;*.doc;=%drive%/program/xxx.exe=%sel_file%
%drive%=Q-Dir drive // relative path is also possible.

donald

#8 Post by donald »

Opsimathic , Lupo73 how about 7zip?

I can not get it to work so far.

My ini file contains the following

Code: Select all

managedWindows=ahk_class FM|
I do not know but I was thinking Opsimathic's looks different, I think the end is different.

The part I think is different is

TfcForm
Should I add something to the line

Or would this work only with regular file browsers?

Thanks, Opsimathic , Lupo73

opsimathic

#9 Post by opsimathic »

Thanks for your confidence in my abilities, but I need to leave the answer for this one to Lupo.
/opsimathic

joby_toss

#10 Post by joby_toss »

I don't think it's a limitation/bug of Coffee.
StrokeIt doesn't work either.

Lupo73

#11 Post by Lupo73 »

I don't know too, sorry. But I didn't have enough time to study the entire code of CAFE when I improved it to create Coffee..

donald

#12 Post by donald »

In case anyone has a problem finding the AHK for a particular application you might try Win32Spy.
http://www.gena01.com/win32spy/

I tried this for QuickWaytoFolders(no go for me).

joby_toss

#13 Post by joby_toss »

My translation is ready. Hope it helps somebody!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/nmgmyzjznzf/Romanian.7z

Lupo73

#14 Post by Lupo73 »

Thanks for it :wink:

donald

Re: Coffee configs

#15 Post by donald »

Previous to submission Coffee was being posted about in a thread called "CAFE custom configs".

I would like to ask for some sharing of "configs" something the previous thread I mentioned above left out. (Unless I missed something?)

The Coffee configuration file is an INI file labeled Coffee and found in the application folder. (You do keep it in a folder right?)Image

It is easiest to find by hot-key (Alt+Win+I) or by right clicking the Coffee tray icon, and highlighting the "Preferences" sub-menu, then clicking the "Edit Configuration ini File".

My portable file associations are as below (I am looking for more imaginative associations, command-line arguments, etc. and of course file formats I have left out.)
***********************************************************************************
[configuration]
runguimode=1

[associations]
txt=..\Jarte\Jarte.exe
ini=..\Jarte\Jarte.exe
nfo=..\Jarte\Jarte.exe
sfv=..\Jarte\Jarte.exe
tar=..\7-ZipPortable\7-ZipPortable.exe
gz=..\7-ZipPortable\7-ZipPortable.exe
bz2=..\7-ZipPortable\7-ZipPortable.exe
iso=..\7-ZipPortable\7-ZipPortable.exe
rar=..\7-ZipPortable\7-ZipPortable.exe
zip=..\7-ZipPortable\7-ZipPortable.exe
7z=..\7-ZipPortable\7-ZipPortable.exe
wav=..\smplayer-portable-0.6.7\smplayer.exe
wmv=..\smplayer-portable-0.6.7\smplayer.exe
mkv=..\smplayer-portable-0.6.7\smplayer.exe
avi=..\smplayer-portable-0.6.7\smplayer.exe
srt=..\smplayer-portable-0.6.7\smplayer.exe
mp4=..\smplayer-portable-0.6.7\smplayer.exe
mov=..\smplayer-portable-0.6.7\smplayer.exe
pdf=..\SumatraPDFPortable\SumatraPDFPortable.exe
url=..\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe
html=..\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe
htm=..\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe
maff=..\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe
mht=..\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe
gif=..\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe
jpg=..\XnView-win-full\xnview.exe
ico=..\XnView-win-full\xnview.exe
jpeg=..\XnView-win-full\xnview.exe
bmp=..\XnView-win-full\xnview.exe
png=..\XnView-win-full\xnview.exe
mp3=..\CoolPlayer+Portable\CoolPlayer+Portable.exe
m3u=..\CoolPlayer+Portable\CoolPlayer+Portable.exe
doc=host
ppt=host
rtf=..\qjot\QJot.exe
dat=..\qjot\QJot.exe
daa=..\daa2iso\daa2iso.exe
uif=..\uif2iso\uif2iso.exe
docx=host
inf=..\Jarte\Jarte.exe
rdl=..\Screamer Radio\screamer.exe
I have another copy using OpenOffice.org for doc, ppt, docx etc but that is the only difference.