Monoff4 - turns the monitor off

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
tproli

Monoff4 - turns the monitor off

#1 Post by tproli »

Monoff 4 - Turns the monitor off

Code: Select all

When run, Monoff4.exe puts your monitor in a low power or power off mode, saving electricity. This can be used instead of Wizmo's "monoff" feature. Some people have had problems with Wizmo interfering with background processes that start up while Wizmo is running, and problems when multiple instances of Wizmo run at the same time. See my Wizmo FAQ page for more on this. Monoff 4 can't produce these potential problems. The Microsoft VC++ 7project source code is provided for those who are interested.
Website

Write settings to: ini file (the portable version)
Stealth: yes (not sure)

Download the first link (Download single zip file) and use Monoff4s.exe. To change settings, press the spacebar when Monoff4 is launched, then the options dialog will appear. Note that settings are saved only if you click on the "Save settings" button. By default, Monoff4 won't create the ini file.

Thanks for the developer (Jim Chevalier) who created the portable version soon after my request!

tproli

Re: Monoff4 1.6

#2 Post by tproli »

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Edit: Please ignore this post. I misread the instructions.

---

I don't know what user tproli is talking about with an INI file. The program specifically says its saving to the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JimBUG\Monoff

Just to be sure, I went through regedit and found the key. I then flipped through the program source code and the code comments seem to indicate the program doesn't have an INI capability. I may have missed something but for now the entry has been updated. If someone can figure out this INI thing, that would be cool. Its obviously still a good program and could really save some serious electricity over time.
Last edited by webfork on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

TESTED: And nothing was created for me.

tproli

#5 Post by tproli »

Are you sure you have used Monoff4s.exe?

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

tproli: that's it. I was downloading the old version. Sorry about that.

Previous post edited.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Just updated the entry with a mirror of my own copy. If anyone has a mirror of the original, that would probably work better. These were the old instructions:
Download the ZIP package and extract to a folder of your choice. There will be two almost identical files: a portable version with an S at the end and one without (Monoff4s.exe and Monoff4.exe). Delete Monoff4.exe. Launch Monoff4s.exe.

allclownsareevil

#8 Post by allclownsareevil »

Hello,

I noticed the latest download link in the TPFC database pointed to a file that did not have the portable version included (monoff4s.exe). I did some hunting around and came across a copy of the latest version but it was hosted on a subscription site and had no ini file present. I happen to have a subscription at the moment so I downloaded it, virus-scanned it, created a new ini file to allow it to run portably and hosted it in the public folder of my dropbox account. You're welcome to update the database to link to that if you wish, or it that's not allowed, perhaps forum users can grab it there too for the time being whilst other, more suitable, hosting is found?

Monoff4.zip (49.6k)

Instructions:
- Download zip archive linked above
- Extract
- Run Monoff4s.exe to have the settings saved to the ini file.

Optional:
- You can delete Monoff4.exe if you only plan to use the program portably.
- To change settings hit the spacebar when the program first opens. That will disaply the dialogue box where you can adjust settings which will be saved to the ini file.

It's a handy program actually, thanks for posting it up.

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

allclownsareevil wrote:I happen to have a subscription at the moment so I downloaded it, virus-scanned it, created a new ini file to allow it to run portably and hosted it in the public folder of my dropbox account. You're welcome to update the database to link to that if you wish, or it that's not allowed, perhaps forum users can grab it there too for the time being whilst other, more suitable, hosting is found?
Thanks! The current link is also a Dropbox-hosted and the instructions are a bit shorter so is there another reason we should switch? For example, if someone can verify that this is the original Monoff program (via MD5 hash or similar), then I'd be happy to swap it. Obviously would like to use a link to a site that will host years from now like softpedia.

allclownsareevil

#10 Post by allclownsareevil »

webfork wrote:Thanks! The current link is also a Dropbox-hosted and the instructions are a bit shorter so is there another reason we should switch? For example, if someone can verify that this is the original Monoff program (via MD5 hash or similar), then I'd be happy to swap it. Obviously would like to use a link to a site that will host years from now like softpedia.
You mean other than the fact the current download link points to a file that does not contain the portable version? :wink:

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

allclownsareevil wrote:
webfork wrote:... is there another reason we should switch?
You mean other than the fact the current download link points to a file that does not contain the portable version? :wink:
That one is writing files outside of the app directory?

allclownsareevil

#12 Post by allclownsareevil »

webfork wrote:That one is writing files outside of the app directory?
Yep.

Ok to clarify, go to the database entry for this program and download it. You'll see the archive doesn't contain the portable version of this app at all, only the version that writes to the registry. Monoff4.exe is the registry version, Monoff4s.exe is the portable version (S stands for Standalone probably). It's why I put a link to my dropbox. That archive contains both the registry version and the portable.

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

allclownsareevil wrote:Monoff4.exe is the registry version, Monoff4s.exe is the portable version (S stands for Standalone probably). It's why I put a link to my dropbox. That archive contains both the registry version and the portable.
The version I uploaded I renamed it to just regular Monoff4.exe for simplicity and deleted the other one. It writes to the app directory.

Update: I'm completely wrong. Evidently when I first downloaded and set this up, I didn't do it correctly. Switching to allclownsareevil's hosting location.

Update2: What the heck is that Baca Saya.txt file doing in the download?

donald

#14 Post by donald »

I tried Monoff4s.exe

I do not know if this application is desktop only or if it is usable on a laptop,
but with (Monoff's) default settings on my Vista Sp2 laptop I only got monitor flickering.

I do not know what to change in the default settings or what can be changed, so this is a no go for me.

pm me if you have any helpful hints

tproli

#15 Post by tproli »

@donald
I've tried it on desktop monitors and it worked me for CRTs but not with LCDs (couldn't turn it on again, only reboot helped).
But I guess it is a per monitor thing, so it may work on one but not on the other. On desktop monitors you should use the power button instead.

I contacted the author requesting an official distribution. Until then here is mine:
Monoff4.zip

Apparently I haven't UPX-ed it so it should be intact.