ResEdit - Resource Editor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Ruby

ResEdit - Resource Editor

#1 Post by Ruby »

This is a pretty cool Free Resource Editor for Windows programs.

Category: Programming - Resource Tools

Synopsis: ResEdit is a free Resource Editor for Win32 programs. You can use it if you want to use dialogs, icon, version information or other types of resources. Output files can be compiled by any Win32 compiler, like MinGW and Microsoft Visual C++.

Writes settings to: Application folder

How to extract: Download the current version of ResEdit-"BUILD".7z to a folder of your choice. Launch the program by double-clicking on ResEdit.exe

Unicode support: Yes (there are two versions hence the "BUILD" quote in the filename)

License: Freeware

Stealth: ? (tested with regshot, nothing but windows related shell and mru stuff)

Homepage: http://www.resedit.net/
Screenshots: http://www.resedit.net/screenshots.htm
Help Menu: http://www.resedit.net/doc/index.html

The program does automatic check for updates by default, but can be changed in the Preferences.
Synopsis taken from Help Menu

guinness

Re: ResEdit - Resource Editor

#2 Post by guinness »

Okay so I tested with Sandboxie and RegFromApp on Windows 7.

So Sandboxie didn't detect and files being added to %APPDATA% but RegFromApp did detect the following keys being added:

Code: Select all

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Tracing\ResEdit_RASMANCS]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Tracing\ResEdit_RASAPI32]
So from looking at this it would appear not to be stealth, perhaps this can be changed via the settings, but I didn't find any option. Could this be the automatic update?

Ruby

#3 Post by Ruby »

guinness wrote:So from looking at this it would appear not to be stealth, perhaps this can be changed via the settings, but I didn't find any option.
Options>Preferences>General> Auto check updates
guinness wrote: Could this be the automatic update?
Those keys have to do with Remote Access Service, so yeah, probably the update feature.

I ran RegFromApp as an admin on Vista, started ResEdit and didn't get those entries.

Did Sanboxie also write those keys in the registry hive it creates at runtime?

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

It created a blank Reg folder.
I just did the same test on Windows XP SP3 and couldn't find these RegKeys, so maybe its a Windows 7 addition with the Tracing RegKey!

Are you the Developer of this App?

Ruby

#5 Post by Ruby »

guinness wrote:Are you the Developer of this App?
No, it showed up on one of my rss feeds, freewarefiles I think, so I gave it a try (seeing how my beloved reshacker is a bit outdated) and really liked it.
The first try I did was to open mplayerc (Media Player Classic Homecinema) scroll down to Menu>128 double-click, click View, move cursor to Language press delete on keyboard. Simple, I hate references to language files that don't exist.
guinness wrote:It created a blank Reg folder.
If I remember correctly (I haven't re-installed yet) Sandboxie creates a hive in the registry, if you open regedit you should see everything associated with the sandbox (read/write of the program).
guiness wrote:I just did the same test on Windows XP SP3 and couldn't find these RegKeys
Did you disable the Auto check updates?

ResEdit might prove useful (amongst other things) for some quick editing portably (SciTE, MinGW) CodeBlocks, PellesC.

guinness

#6 Post by guinness »

1.4.9 is available
- Fixed : Problem with MENUEX code generation.
- Fixed : Ignore sal.h problem.
- Added : Option to define the default language for new
resources.
- Added : %barefilename%, %filename% and %filepath% to configure
header file name.

Checker

#7 Post by Checker »

It's now 1.4.10 :!:

- Fixed : Problem with MENUEX code generation.
- Fixed : Ignore sal.h problem.
- Added : Option to define the default language for new resources.
- Added : %barefilename%, %filename% and %filepath% to configure header file name.

guinness

#8 Post by guinness »

giulia

#9 Post by giulia »

hi
where is the portable version?

inside ResEdit-x64.7z there is a installer (i guess with adware and malware inside)

I am Baas

#10 Post by I am Baas »

giulia wrote:hi

inside ResEdit-x64.7z there is a installer (i guess with adware and malware inside)
The portable releases seems to have gone. You should not run the installer; it includes adware - Wajam ads and recommendations.

Just uniextract the installer; the files you need are in the $INSTDIR folder. Edit ResEdit.xml with a notepad program, change
<autoCheckUpdate value="true" /> to <autoCheckUpdate value="false" to disable the autocheck for updates.

giulia

#11 Post by giulia »

I am Baas wrote:

The portable releases seems to have gone. You should not run the installer; it includes adware - Wajam ads and recommendations.

Just uniextract the installer; the files you need are in the $INSTDIR folder. Edit ResEdit.xml with a notepad program, change
<autoCheckUpdate value="true" /> to <autoCheckUpdate value="false" to disable the autocheck for updates.
hi
thanks !
are you sure it include only adware?

I am Baas

#12 Post by I am Baas »

giulia wrote:
I am Baas wrote:

hi
thanks !
are you sure it include only adware?
Why are you asking? Did you run the installer?

giulia

#13 Post by giulia »

I am Baas wrote:
yes ,in a virtual desktop under virtualbox

I am Baas

#14 Post by I am Baas »

giulia wrote:
I am Baas wrote:
yes ,in a virtual desktop under virtualbox
Then you should see what the installer does and what is left behind after the process is completed. It only contains adware.

giulia

#15 Post by giulia »

Hi
the homagepage is down
could not be downloaded