TeraCopy - alternative file copier

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
smaragdus

Re: TeraCopy 3.0

#16 Post by smaragdus » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:19 pm

First, TeraCopy version 3.0 is as buggy as hell:

Second "Remove selected" and "Remove transferred" triggers a message:

so for me TeraCopy version 3.0 is a demo- the already transferred stuff will stay for ever and will be copied time again- what an abomination.

Third- the image provided in the database entry is for TeraCopy Pro- on my system the graph of the demo doesn't look that good:

Forth- it offered to send bug report and it extracted data from my mail client which I think is a privacy violation.

In short- for me TeraCopy version 3.0 is not just a demo but a buggy garbage to boot.

webfork

Re: TeraCopy - alternative file copier

#17 Post by webfork » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:40 am

I retested the latest version of TeraCopy and -- whatever issues were happening with the program when Smaragdus tested it last -- they seem to have been resolved. I've added a note about the pro version to the entry.

starshakur

#18 Post by starshakur » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:18 pm

Is there any reason for a portable installation of TeraCopy?

1) I installed it according to the How to extract, got one entry in Programs & Features list and two in the context menu.

2) I extracted it using Universal Extractor, moved the content of "app" folder to a different folder. There are three duplicates, i deleted "TeraCopy.2.exe", "TeraCopyExt.2.exe" and "TeraCopyService.2.exe" and renamed "TeraCopy.1.exe", "TeraCopyExt.1.exe" and "TeraCopyService.1.exe" by removing ".1".

At the end the folder size of 1) and 2) (without the uninstall files) is identical.

So why install?

webfork

#19 Post by webfork » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:55 pm

starshakur wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:18 pm
So why install?
There's a case to be made for not using the install process when there are other routes, but I recommend it in this case based on two things:

1. Developer support is generally easier when you follow their processes
2. Fewer steps in the extract process mean it's more accessible to casual users

Midas

#20 Post by Midas » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:18 am

And...

3. From my own experience, TeraCopy is not entirely straightforward as a portable, meaning features and settings differ according to which way you proceed.