Hex Editor Neo Free version 4.91.00.3266

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Ennovy

Hex Editor Neo Free version 4.91.00.3266

#1 Post by Ennovy »

This is a great free Hex Editor and the latest build now offers a portable installation.
New Setup Features

Portable Installation
Setup now offers new installation mode which can be used to make a portable copy of Hex Editor Neo. Once installed, the copy of the product may be transferred to other locations, or to other computers where it can be used without installation. In this mode setup allows the user to install the product on the removable media and network shares.
Website: http://www.hhdsoftware.com/Products/hom ... -free.html

Features: http://www.hhdsoftware.com/Products/fea ... -free.html

Download: http://www.hhdsoftware.com/Download/fre ... or-neo.exe

Platforms:
· Windows 7 (x86)
· Windows 7 (x64)
· Windows Vista (x86)
· Windows Vista (x64)
· Windows XP (x86)
· Windows XP (x64)
· Windows Server 2003 (x86)
· Windows Server 2003 (x64)
· Windows Server 2008 (x86)
· Windows Server 2008 (x64)
· Windows 2000

Ennovy

Re: Hex Editor Neo Free version 4.91.00.3266

#2 Post by Ennovy »

Additional information about the portable mode:
Limitations
Take the following limitations into account when installing Hex Editor Neo in portable mode:

Portable installation will not work on Windows 2000.
Setup does not create shortcuts, does not update system registry and does not publish installed application (it will not appear in Add/Remove Programs Control Panel applet (Programs and Features starting with Windows Vista).
You will need to manually delete product installation folder in order to remove the product from your computer.
Setup does not register Hex Editor Neo's type libraries, preventing you from using the product in scripting environment.
Setup does not register Windows shell extension, making "Edit with Hex Editor Neo" and "Edit with Hex Editor Neo (shared)" context menu options unavailable.
Command-line Parameters
New Hex Editor Neo's setup allows you to specify several parameters on the command line:

Parameter Description
-silent Surpress any user interface dialogs during setup
-uninstall or -u Turn on uninstall mode
-portable Turn on portable mode
-prop INSTALLDIR=[path] Specify the installation folder location. Must end with a backslash.
-user Turn on per-user mode
-machine Turn on per-machine mode

rbon

#3 Post by rbon »

This is a great free Hex Editor and the latest build now offers a portable installation
also I have:
1. run the HHD Neo free setup (because I can't open it with Universal Extractor) and I have select install as 'Portable mode' in my USB key,
2. then I have delete the registry entry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HHD Software
3. run X-Regshot (portable) and create the snapshot nr. 1
4. run 'HexFrame.exe' (the Neo free executable)
5. run again X-Regshot and create the 2nd snapshot
6. compare shot 1 with shot 2
7. I have found these registry entries:
HKEY_USERS\......\Software\HHD Software (main key)
and other 112 sub-key ... (Hex Editor 4.91\Settings ....)
8. I think that this software is not portable, but if You find out an error in my sequence of steps, please tell my.
Regards
rbon
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

Ennovy

#4 Post by Ennovy »

During installation (portable mode) remove all checkmarks in the Choose Components Window and only install the General Application Components. Don't create Start Menu shortcuts and don't start Hex Editor Neo after installation and finish the setup.
Copy the installation folder to your USB.
Startup the software with the -portable parameter.
I did that with RegFromApp and still found Registry entries made by Hex Editor Neo, but not as much as you found.
So it's not really portable I'm afreaid :? But it's strange (look at the quote from the help file in my second post).
Perhaps I am doing something wrong here :roll:
rbon wrote:
This is a great free Hex Editor and the latest build now offers a portable installation
also I have:
1. run the HHD Neo free setup (because I can't open it with Universal Extractor) and I have select install as 'Portable mode' in my USB key,
2. then I have delete the registry entry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HHD Software
3. run X-Regshot (portable) and create the snapshot nr. 1
4. run 'HexFrame.exe' (the Neo free executable)
5. run again X-Regshot and create the 2nd snapshot
6. compare shot 1 with shot 2
7. I have found these registry entries:
HKEY_USERS\......\Software\HHD Software (main key)
and other 112 sub-key ... (Hex Editor 4.91\Settings ....)
8. I think that this software is not portable, but if You find out an error in my sequence of steps, please tell my.
Regards
rbon

Ennovy

#5 Post by Ennovy »

I posted this in their forum on the homepage.

rbon

#6 Post by rbon »

Ennovy wrote:I posted this in their forum on the homepage.
Thanks

BTW the program interface is ugly because they use very big icon!

If You need some powelful hex editor You can looking for:
1. HxD portable: download page http://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD
2. Hexplorer portable: http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.494
Regards
rbon
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

Ennovy

#7 Post by Ennovy »

This is the answer from the support team:
There is no need to specify the "-portable" switch to the application, as it is ignored. This switch is for setup application only. In this mode, Setup does not make any changes to the registry and does not create shell shortcuts (you can also enable the portable mode in setup's UI).

Hex Editor Neo may then be launched from any folder without any specific switch in the command line.

Currently Hex Editor Neo always stores its settings in registry (limited to HKCU\Software\HHD Software\Hex Editor 4.xx key). In addition, "Hex Editor Neo 4.xx" folder is created under user's %TEMP% folder, where application stores its temporary files to reduce application startup time (namely, vector image cache and compiled structure definition files).

This behavior is not modified by portable mode.

When software is installed NOT in portable mode and later uninstalled, uninstaller always removes the registry key as well as temporary folder. If software needs to be permanently removed from the computer after being used in portable mode, those locations should be deleted manually, or left for subsequent application launches.

You can always safely delete the temporary folder (it will be recreated the next time you start the editor).
Web: http://www.hhdsoftware.com
Hope that the next version will be really portable :wink:

Ennovy

#8 Post by Ennovy »

HHD software:
We will think of a way to build-in this functionality in product in one of the next versions.
In the meantime you can use this batch file:
start /wait HexFrame.exe
reg delete "HKCU\Software\HHD Software\Hex Editor 4.91" /f
It also may be extended with "reg export" and "reg import" commands if you want to save settings. For example:

@echo off
reg import HexEditorSettings.reg >nul
start /wait HexFrame.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6
reg export "HKCU\Software\HHD Software\Hex Editor 4.91" HexEditorSettings.reg /y >nul
reg delete "HKCU\Software\HHD Software\Hex Editor 4.91" /f >nul