Cameo - portable desktop [discontinued]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
memstat

Cameo - portable desktop [discontinued]

#1 Post by memstat »

Download the new Cameo without Mozilla products and with the Source Code of the Applications that the actual binary(s) where actually altered posted online, other than that enjoy. Also the applications from PortableApps.com where not altered, just the Ascii .ini files where invoked, as which seems legal and legit since the .ini files state;"
# The above options are explained in the included readme.txt
# This INI file is an example only and is not used unless it is placed as described in the included readme.txt
"
doesn't say we can't alter the .ini to make it work within the constraints offered, so there for no violations have been made and the link to the download page of the beta 2 tMoz remix is : http://cameo.binarybums.com/download.htm

http://cameo.binarybums.com/downloads/c ... .remix.rar
keep an eye out as beta three, or possibly release candidate one are on the way!
And as always enjoy people, remember an open source world is only as open as the minds of its community!!!

http://CAMEO.binarybums.COM

donald

what is CAMEO? What does it do?

#2 Post by donald »

what is CAMEO? What does it do?
what is its point?

Note: I went to the site and was referenced terms meaning nothing to me.

memstat

My Apologizes

#3 Post by memstat »

My apologizes, I was drunk and just copied and pasted another post I had made. Cameo is a portable desktop environment built upon available freeware and open source applications. It also utilizes a modified bbLean shell to replace the Windows Explorer shell for a more *nix style feel. Think of it as portable apps with a *box shell. Alternatively we do also offer just the Cameo bbLean based shell for download also. Also the b/s posted at the top is in regards to some 'legal' hoops we had to jump through with portable apps and mozilla.

memstat

FYI

#4 Post by memstat »

The first official version of the shell is out now, and the RC1 of the PDE is going to be posted in a matter of hours.

Dwel

#5 Post by Dwel »

here i am after my crash induced reboot. ive been using bbLean for years and never had it crash, this one did, whilst trying to change the style. i prolly wont try it again but i will yank some stuff out of it. thanks =]

donald

Re: Cameo

#6 Post by donald »

Has a new version that was promised in a matter of hours on MAY 23rd available yet?

The website claims that it only needs a few cosmetic changes and would be available in a few days that was June 19th.

A quick look at the site shows that it has not provided a full Desktop Environment yet.

Has anyone attempted what Dwel was doing when his PC crashed
whilst trying to change the style
A GUESS might be if the software uses different libraries or doesn't share the libraries loaded that it might fill up the ram.

I have read elsewhere on the site that Library based software tends to load the entire library even when it only uses a small piece, and library software does not tend to share, even with a common library leading to multiple copies in ram.

For anyone like me not knowledgeable about Desktop enviroments:
THIS LINK CONCERNS DESKTOP ENVIRONMENTS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... vironments

***AS a complete Aside some terms just do not mean something to people unfamiliar with it, and searches can sometimes be fruitless or confusing specifically with Technical or semi-technical terms. Please run a search yourself if asked what something means and see if an knowledgeable person unfamiliar with the term would understand what you mean. The biggest hurdle in trying to get someone to use software that they are unfamiliar with is knowledge. If you want to spread a software and or an idea like portability try not to put a hurdle in the way of the people who could make it popular by just being told what it is.

Yes I know a lot of people hate nubes and questions and having to teach people, but this seems reasonable to ask of people who want to make software popular.

Dwel

#7 Post by Dwel »

anyway .... i didnt want it to seem like i just rolled through and said i didn't like it and act like a Richard, so i tried it again.

amd 3800+ 64
nvidia 9600gt
1.5 gb ddr
all updates except sp3
windows xp professional and XPpro64
most unneeded services disabled

its a pretty clean machine and runs really well with most applications. it'll go from power off to default web page in shy of 1 minute

when i switch from blue to black styles i lose control, at first the task manager appears to work but then it too is unresponsive. and that is in both os's.

donald

#8 Post by donald »

Regards to your test did you download the software again in an unmodified state? Software can be corrupted in many ways including silent data corruption.
It could be an unfair test if any changes other than the switch you mention in styles has been performed (assuming this means using a style intended not something non compatible)

A download can be corrupted as can drivers and on-board libraries. A separate machine should also be tried because any specific difficulties might still be with your machine. Specifically were you running any anti-virus or other software that might be suspect of interfering?

I don't think one fully repeated error is conclusive unless it is repeated on two separate machines with very little in common.

I do not want to defend the software I just am asking if anyone else has encountered the same problem in another machine and with an unchanged copy of the software. (other than attempting to change the theme in the correct way)

I want to know so that I can try to contact the developers if the problem is not isolated to you and your machine and software copy.

I in no way think you are trying to downgrade the software but I don't think 1 machine and the same copy of the software is a sufficient test.

Dwel

#9 Post by Dwel »

donald wrote:Regards to your test did you download the software again in an unmodified state? Software can be corrupted in many ways including silent data corruption.
It could be an unfair test if any changes other than the switch you mention in styles has been performed (assuming this means using a style intended not something non compatible)
well at the time , no, i had not re-downloaded. at this time , yes, I have re-downloaded.
donald wrote:A download can be corrupted as can drivers and on-board libraries. A separate machine should also be tried because any specific difficulties might still be with your machine. Specifically were you running any anti-virus or other software that might be suspect of interfering?
no firewall , no antivirus. i have tried a second machine. p4 2.8ghz 1gb ddr nv6200oc. locked up sure as sh!7. this is using the program right out of the rar. oh, what zip prog am i using? Ha, i knew you'd ask, 7zip, peazip and iZarc. and yes i did try all three with newly downloaded copies of the program.
donald wrote:I don't think one fully repeated error is conclusive unless it is repeated on two separate machines with very little in common.
two machines; same issue. Its not a big deal that there is a problem, its that it is a big big problem when i have to flip the switch on my psu.
donald wrote:I do not want to defend the software I just am asking if anyone else has encountered the same problem in another machine and with an unchanged copy of the software. (other than attempting to change the theme in the correct way)
donald wrote:I want to know so that I can try to contact the developers if the problem is not isolated to you and your machine and software copy.
donald wrote:I in no way think you are trying to downgrade the software but I don't think 1 machine and the same copy of the software is a sufficient test.
2 machines; and about 8 tests is conclusive for me. i hope they fix it cause i love this kinda stuff.

donald

#10 Post by donald »

Thanks for your efforts I will forward the relevant comments from this thread.

I will be contacting the Binary Bums aka cameo@binarybums.com

If you could do the same we will have possibly twice as much chance of getting through.

memstat

#11 Post by memstat »

Please Contact us @ Cameo@Binarybums.com

I am one of the project managers, please let us know which theme it was as there have been some errors with the Color3dc on some systems. These issues are why the PDE has not hit yet, please send e-mail me so we can resolve this issue.

Dwel

#12 Post by Dwel »

memstat wrote:Please Contact us @ Cameo@Binarybums.com

I am one of the project managers, please let us know which theme it was as there have been some errors with the Color3dc on some systems. These issues are why the PDE has not hit yet, please send e-mail me so we can resolve this issue.
In case you did not get my email, I am Dwel13r [at] gmail [dot] com

donald

#13 Post by donald »

has anyone heard from the binarybums?

The site shows no new desktop just the shell and the old desktop

donald

#14 Post by donald »

I just noticed that the link at the start of the thread is
first the download page, and
then the Desktop Environment download, and
Then finally the Homepage.

Here is a quote from the homepage for CAMEO:
October 01, 2009
Work sucks, people have bailed on this project, and I am now sorting out another legal hurdle. WTF happen to freeware, this GNU crap sucks.

AUGUST 19, 2009
OK, we know it has been 2 months since any updates, but a few people on the project bailed, so now it is a 2 man project, one R&D the other development. For the sake of the Cameo project we need people to help out, please contact us if you are interested. The first official Cameo PDE is still in development since we finally sorted out some legal bullshit, but once again if you have even any ideas or know some good applications to add PLEASE contact us.

JUNE 19, 2009
Version One of the Cameo Shell is released. You can get it from the Download page or by clicking here, the PDE is having some final touches put on it before it is released.

JUNE 11, 2009
The first official release of the Cameo Shell will be up and posted in a matter of days, the PDE version will follow shortly after. In the next iteration of the shell, it will be much more stable, increased portability and speed, Vista bug fixes for those poor souls stuck with that horrible OS, and a bit more. So keep checking back as it will be up in a matter of days.

JUNE 02, 2009
Well all the GPL source code is posted now and can be accessed via the download page.

MAY 26, 2009
Posted some basic information on how to use Cameo on the Support page.
Can anyone help them? This sounds like an interesting project, at least now that I know what Desktop Environment is.

memstat

#15 Post by memstat »

Well after a hiatus and some hosting issues we're back in action with new builds of the Shell, a new PDE Lite version, and the Complete PDE are now available on the website http://www.cameoproject.com. Please update your bookmarks and check it out!

Thanks,
Binary Bums