Portable Skype (AKA sPortable)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
joby_toss

#16 Post by joby_toss » Mon May 18, 2009 9:48 am

netdiver wrote:Guys!
Thank you all:
to Pathologist for posting our utility on this forum
and, especially, zZolaa for correct explanation of the "problem".

I extended the list of supported disk drives (you may chose not only removable, but fixed drives as well now) and added destination folder selection page. Corresponding modifications were applied to our installers for other applications as well.
Great news indeed!
Now, let's see them at work! :)

AntBond

Skype Portable

#17 Post by AntBond » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:09 am

Hello everyone,

I have found a skype portable launcher. At the first start, it copies skype from your pc to your pendrive. If you start the launcher second time, it's portable :D. download here

quest221

Re: Portable Skype Launcher 1.3 (Update)

#19 Post by quest221 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:42 pm

Hi Pathologist,

The "My Skype Received Files" folder is still under C:\Document and Settings\XXX\Application Data\Skype, can you adjust this folder to the same folder where the skype located.

Note: XXX is the user account.

Checker

Skype Portable V4.1

#20 Post by Checker » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:54 am

Download: http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/skype_portable

Skype lets you connect to others via instant message, audio conferencing and video phone. It can also call regular phone lines from anywhere in the world.

System Requirements: 2000/XP/Vista/7

guinness

Re: Skype Portable V4.1

#21 Post by guinness » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:13 am

Wow, how did they pull that combination off? Plus it looks as though PortableApps will start to introduce Closed Source applications, seems as though U3 will have to pull their finger out!!
Added 179 Applications: Portable

joby_toss

#22 Post by joby_toss » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:42 pm

PortableApps.com Debuts Freeware Portable Apps
For some freeware apps (like skype here) there is only a launcher that downloads and installs (extracts) the application then cleans up the traces.

emmanuel d

#23 Post by emmanuel d » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:33 am

skype==portable
just run it like:
%drive%\Program Files\skype\skype.exe /nosplash /minimized /removable /datapath:"%drive%\Settings\Apps\Skype"

if you have a good launcher it can do %drive% or equal

SmackEwe

no more cleanup on isle four

#24 Post by SmackEwe » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:06 pm

joby_toss wrote:a launcher that downloads and installs (extracts) the application then cleans up the traces.
Seems like thinstalling is a MUCH better option. Yes, thinstall has a new name now. ;)
The Peoples Cube

emmanuel d

#25 Post by emmanuel d » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:40 am

Create a batchfile like:

Skype.bat:

Code: Select all

:: %~d0 is the drive where the batfile is located.
cd /D "%~d0\Program Files\skype\"
start skype.exe /nosplash /minimized /removable /datapath:"%~d0\Settings\Apps\Skype"

webfork

Re: Portable Skype Launcher 1.3 (Update)

#26 Post by webfork » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:09 pm

Moderator note: various threads above have been merged and may seem unconnected or even refer to each other.

guinness

#27 Post by guinness » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:36 pm

guinness wrote:Wow, how did they pull that combination off? Plus it looks as though PortableApps will start to introduce Closed Source applications, seems as though U3 will have to pull their finger out!!
It's great looking at old posts, especially this quote. Seems U3 never did and the project was phased out late 2009. Hope it wasn't something I said? :mrgreen:
Added 179 Applications: Portable

webfork

#28 Post by webfork » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:58 pm

guinness wrote:
guinness wrote:Wow, how did they pull that combination off? Plus it looks as though PortableApps will start to introduce Closed Source applications, seems as though U3 will have to pull their finger out!!
It's great looking at old posts, especially this quote. Seems U3 never did and the project was phased out late 2009. Hope it wasn't something I said? :mrgreen:
Heheh ... I'm a little surprised U3 didn't stick around in some capacity. They've got to value-add on those flash drives somehow. I guess it all went the direction of speed or encryption.

tproli

Re: Portable Skype

#29 Post by tproli » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:37 pm

If you are about to log in with your Microsoft account you have to take care of this directory (namely copy this directory there before launching):

Code: Select all

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Skype\Apps\login
Otherwise Skype will allow log in with your Skype username and password, so you won't see your Messenger pals.

Took some time to figure it out when updating my yaP launcher. I was first about to steal info from the PortableApps launcher source code but guess what, it is not available.

joby_toss

Re: Portable Skype

#30 Post by joby_toss » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:09 pm

There is a file named "PortableApps.comInstallerCustom.nsh" under "SkypePortable\Other\Source" (if you "install" the PortableApps Skype app). Is this the launcher's source code you're seeking?