WinUHA

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Jainendra

WinUHA

#1 Post by Jainendra »

Hello friends,

I recently(and after very long time) tested this aplication and found it to be portable. It was tested twice with Regshot and Regmon. Just extract it through UniExtract and run from app folder.
Kindly give your opinions.

Here is the link for the application
http://www.klaimsoft.com/winuha/download.php

A little description from their site
UHARC is a high compression multimedia archiver.
It has a better compression ratio than ZIP, RAR, ACE, etc...

WinUHA is a powerful GUI (Graphical User Interface) for UHARC.

Some Characteristics :

User friendly and modern interface, as commercial software

Shell Context Menu to speed up archives management

SFX GUI for UHA archives

Translation Engine to be really user friendly

Freeware for non commercial use, as UHARC.

joby_toss

#2 Post by joby_toss »

While WinUha has indeed a very good compression ratio, it also is soooooo slow ...

Jainendra

#3 Post by Jainendra »

Yes, a little slow but I think the modern powerful machines can easily compensate for excellent compression ratio. It is boon for large web distributions.
Kindly share your opinions.
Thanks...

m^(2)

#4 Post by m^(2) »

I think that modern hard drives compensate for mediocre compression even better. :lol:
But it doesn't make this program useless, some people have a lot of time. ;)

nycjv321

#5 Post by nycjv321 »

Its not being developed anymore....

m^(2)

#6 Post by m^(2) »

"anymore" is a big word. Can you show a link to Uwe Herklotz stating that he won't develop UHARC further?

nycjv321

#7 Post by nycjv321 »

dude do you mean the author for the gui or the console application that the WinUHA is a frontend for?

UHARC is not developed anymore why? because last release (beta release mind you...) was in 01 Oct 2005.... and there is no homepage for it) I remember reading somewhere that the author disappeared from compression scene.... but still 4 years no release???? come on now dude... not being developed anymore...

if you mean the author of that particular gui, Salvatore Ravidà.
then that program was last released in 2005 I don't see any reason to say that the program is being actively developed or in developing stages or let alone actually being developed....

Jainendra

#8 Post by Jainendra »

Probably it is not actively developed but this fact does not undermines its effeciency and based on my experience I can say that it is quite useful.

Also plz share your opinions about its portability and wether it is another right candidate to be member of the database for everyone to use.

Thanks...

m^(2)

#9 Post by m^(2) »

I mean UHARC itself. If it changed, GUI would surely be adjusted.

There was 4 years between PPMdI and PPMdJ releases. Uwe is alive and may come up with something new.

castman

#10 Post by castman »

I changed from WinRAR to 7-zip install when I formatted my hard disk drive finally. And talking about UHARC, the GUI I was used to was UHARC-GUI which only writes the .uha file associations to the registry.

7-zip is lightweightier than WinRAR and has PPMd compression. One of the downsides is that it doesn't has a built-in previewer but we can associate anything with the Edit command. And I still don't know if it has incomplete file preview support to use together with eMule.

m^(2)

#11 Post by m^(2) »

castman wrote:I changed from WinRAR to 7-zip install when I formatted my hard disk drive finally. And talking about UHARC, the GUI I was used to was UHARC-GUI which only writes the .uha file associations to the registry.

7-zip is lightweightier than WinRAR and has PPMd compression. One of the downsides is that it doesn't has a built-in previewer but we can associate anything with the Edit command. And I still don't know if it has incomplete file preview support to use together with eMule.
WinRAR has PPMd too. And uses it automatically.

castman

#12 Post by castman »

m^(2) wrote:
castman wrote:I changed from WinRAR to 7-zip install when I formatted my hard disk drive finally. And talking about UHARC, the GUI I was used to was UHARC-GUI which only writes the .uha file associations to the registry.

WinRAR has PPMd too. And uses it automatically.
I had WinRAR 3.80 in my computer and 7-zip portable and I tested somethings before choosing 7-zip. The format .7z has the compression methods format LZMA, PPMd and BZip2. Off course, my favourite is the PPMd compression methods. All of these files can be opened with WinRAR but not edited. And I discovered after installing 7-zip that it can open .rar files but not edit it.

And to make things even more happy, 7-zip has incomplete file preview support. I just have to know to replace file association manually to avoid using the administrator account.
Last edited by castman on Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

m^(2)

#13 Post by m^(2) »

castman wrote:Off course, my favourite is the PPMd compression methods.
I wouldn't say "off course". You're the first person I know that chose it for general use over LZMA.
BTW I suggest to take a look at FreeArc.
It's in the alpha development stage, but very very promising.

castman

#14 Post by castman »

Just a Warning to help people who uses 7-zip: See if the target windows computer uses at least WinRAR 3.7 else you won't get it opened there with the WinRAR 3.6 version.

castman

#15 Post by castman »

I've found the registry value that was blocking me from modifying windows extension associations, LegacyDisable. It is a empty REG_SZ value present in many registry keys to avoid standard users from changing them by the HKCU mirror.