WinPatrolFlash - remove autostart, services, junkware

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
flyerfly

WinPatrolFlash - remove autostart, services, junkware

#1 Post by flyerfly »

WinPatrolFlash v15.1.2008.1 - A portable version of WinPatrol 2008

Category: Startup Manager

Synopsis: Analyze what's installed and running on any computer! Remove Un-Wanted Auto Start crapware / Disable Un-Needed Automatic Windows Services / Remove Annoying Toolbars and BHO's / Create Reports that provide a snapshot of potential problems / Disable ActiveX Controls & MORE!

The version listed on the website is V15.1.2008.1, however, it is actually V15.5.2008.0.

The installable version is at http://www.winpatrol.com/

Writes settings to: Application folder

How to extract: Download the WinPatrolFlash.exe to any folder of your choice. Launch WinPatrolFlash.exe

License: Freeware

System Requirements: Win95 / Win98 / WinME / WinNT / Win2K / WinXP / Vista

Screenshot: http://www.winpatrolflash.com/images/flashstartup.jpg

Island Boy

#2 Post by Island Boy »

Sweeeeet.

Will be walking around with this from now on.

Kranor

#3 Post by Kranor »

WinPatrol Flash is the "Old version" of WinPatrol.

The newest version which is renamed is "WinPatrol to go"

http://www.winpatroltogo.com/

flyerfly

#4 Post by flyerfly »

Wow... Time flies. What a flash to go!

Thanks to Kranor for the latest update.

I am Baas

#5 Post by I am Baas »

WinPatrol to go creates a folder in the user's "Application Data\WinPatrol".

flyerfly

#6 Post by flyerfly »

WinPatrol to go creates a folder in the user's "Application Data\WinPatrol".
I am Baas is right.
WinPatrolToGo does! And it doesn't remove it after program exit.

WinPatrolFlash
does not. Don't know why the author made such change. :?:

Onesimus Prime

Re: WinPatrolFlash V15.1.2008.1

#7 Post by Onesimus Prime »

I can't verify whether the "portable" version still creates a decidedly un-portable folder or not, but I noticed that the "Plus" version is on sale for 99 cents on Friday, 1/29/2010. It's normally about $30, and lifetime updates are included. The developer verified in the comments at the bottom of that link that the 99-cent license will work for the portable version too. Just FYI, if anyone is interested...

*edit* - I bought the registration code at the sale price, and it does indeed seem to work portably (saved to an ini file in the same directory). It does still make the folder in AppData mentioned earlier, but the only content was another folder called Vault. I'm assuming this is either like a "virus vault" or a registry backup if you start messing with that stuff, etc. Basically, I think it was probably designed to be written to the local machine, since that sort of info would be of no help on any other machine. For those who prefer stealth, the folder could probably be taken care of by a simple batch file. (Even better would be if it were only created when needed, but maybe that'll come someday).

joby_toss

#8 Post by joby_toss »

Hey, I've just "bought" it! :) ... '99 cents ... what a bargain!

WinPatrolToGo is at version 16.0.2009.0 and still creates leaves behind the "user\Application Data\WinPatrol\vault" folder.

WinPatrol standard is at version 17.0.2010.0 and writes to the registry and "user\Application Data\WinPatrol" folder.

I believe it is illegal to use the same registration info with both versions simultaneous, so I've made myself a JauntePE launcher (that redirects specific reg keys and that appdata folder only) and I'll be using only this one from now on.

Cheers!

Later edit: Hmm...seems like the license for this sale is valid for only one computer; so the portable version is out of discussion. I'm sad, but it also seems fair to me.
Like our current $30 plan, the 99¢ license will be good for life. Like sales in the App Store or Droid Market however, this license is only valid for a single computer. Sales are also limited to one per customer.
and
Can I use my 99¢ WinPatrol PLUS on multiple computers.
This experiment is meant to compare a software purchase to those purchases from the Apple App Store or Droid Market. Unlike our $29.95 license or $49.95 Family Park, this purchase is good for one computer at a time.
however
Can I purchase 1000 copies.
I'm sorry but purchases on 1/29 are limited to two per customer.
and also
Anonymous said...

Is the 99 cent special of WinPatrol Plus available in a portable version ?
3:22 AM

Bill Pytlovany said...

Yes, if you're familiar with WinPatrolToGo it currently uses the same license model as the standard WinPatrol PLUS.

As long as you've installed WinPatrolToGo with PLUS on a Flash/USB drive that you personally own and use you're free to use it as you like.

Bill
I'm puzzled!

I realize this thread is for the free version of WinPatrol, so I apologize!

Onesimus Prime

#9 Post by Onesimus Prime »

I realize this thread is for the free version of WinPatrol, so I apologize!
Yeah, I probably should have started a new thread. My bad, sorry!

Bill's statements in the comments section of his blog seem to outright say that, as confusing as it is with the special license, he does think that it should be allowed to work with the portable version. (I had wondered that too at first, Joby). Maybe it would help to look at this license as single-user, single-device? You would probably just use the portable version on one system at a time anyway?

inspectorweb

#10 Post by inspectorweb »

Try AnVir Task Manager. It shows everything running on a computer. I've been using it for about 4 or 5 years on a couple of pc's, and I've been really happy with it.