Virtual Floppy Drive 2.1

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
allclownsareevil

Virtual Floppy Drive 2.1

#1 Post by allclownsareevil »

Virtual Floppy Drive 2.1 is very self explanatory.

It enables you to create and mount a virtual floppy drive on your NT/2000/XP/Vista machine. You can mount a floppy image file as a virtual floppy drive and directly access the contents -- view, edit, rename, delete or create files on a virtual floppy, format a virtual floppy, launch a program on a virtual floppy... almost anything you can do with a real floppy.

Hardly any machines these days come with floppy drives but quite often older programs and drivers will require a floppy drive.

Example: If you're reinstalling a laptop with a SATA drive you'll need the driver for it. You'll head on over to the driver website and download the .exe file only to find it requires a floppy drive to extract to. Run Virtual Floppy Drive and let it run.

Tried and tested today and runs as portable. It does create a shortcut into the windows pre-fetch folder however so does almost everything. No entries in the registry as far as I can gather.

Admittedly it's not a program you'll use everyday but I've had a few occassions to use a floppy drive in desktops/laptops that don't have them and this program saved the day.

VFD21.zip Download Here

VFD Website Here

castman

#2 Post by castman »

This program is very good but unfortunatly, you can't create floppy disk images larger than ~2.88 MBytes.

The Best solution specially for people who use QEmu to avoid using TAP internet connection when using Windows Hosts, since there is no extraction of the virtual hard disk files of any format of QEmu, IS to create a virtual pendrive (and such thing still doesn't exist).

Fortunatly, you still can plug a pendrive in your USB port if it is formatted in FAT partition format, to share just a folder from it.

This is a very valuable information to the VMs enthusiastics.

spchtr

#3 Post by spchtr »

I think what he was trying to offer was some way to get files that are offered for download only as a floppy disk image, which are sometimes difficult to find means of extracting. Not a virtual machine in which to run virtual os's.

I'm not sure how having a floppy disk image larger than 2.88mb's would be useful as I doubt I could find a floppy disk format that holds more than 2.88mb's.

castman

Virtual Disk Driver Version 3

#4 Post by castman »

Thank goodness!! I've found a great solution from the same site:

Virtual Disk Driver Version 3
http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/vdk.html#top

For .vmdk files
Last edited by castman on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

allclownsareevil

#5 Post by allclownsareevil »

I think what he was trying to offer was some way to get files that are offered for download only as a floppy disk image, which are sometimes difficult to find means of extracting. Not a virtual machine in which to run virtual os's.
Yeah that right. I've had the situation a few times where I've downloaded something (usually a driver of somekind in .exe form) and the only method it will extract any files is to a flopy drive. Hardly any machine have floppy drives as standard these days. This virtual foppy drive lets you extract the files and do with them as you wish.

Pretty sure there must be other applications for this program but in reality it's about all I've used it for .... handy though, has helped me out a few times, figured I'd share the link.

castman

USB Image Tool

#6 Post by castman »

http://www.freewarefiles.com/USB-Image- ... 42708.html

People take a look at this solution :D. I haven't tried it yet however, it may be a must have for USB sticks.
Last edited by castman on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

donald

Re: Virtual Floppy Drive 2.1

#7 Post by donald »

sounds great castman but it is dotNET

Many here may not try it for that reason

Thanks for the app though it might never be listed it is mentions like yours that add some of the non-TPFC list software to many of our drives.

castman

#8 Post by castman »

:P Hehe, I read so fast this entry that I even didn't notice it OR it weren't originaly there when I 1st read.

castman

Microsoft USB Flash Drive Manager (Standard)

#9 Post by castman »

Microsoft USB Flash Drive Manager (Standard)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

This is old but to who is looking for a XP portable version. This must apply.

I didn't tested it yet. :P

donald

#10 Post by donald »

castman please check but I found this by following your link:
System Requirements ... * .NET Framework 1.1 * Windows® XP

castman

#11 Post by castman »

:P That's what happen when people don't scroll the page (Me). OK, forget it! Unless someone could really portabilize dotNET without warez products. :mrgreen: