VLC - media player

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
zorro

Re: VLC - media player

#46 Post by zorro »

Well, I used your portable VLC since version 1.0 - I don't know when the dvdcss began to show up after closing VLC, but it's been a while. Unlike Firefox (where I always used the internal update function and therefore missed some launcher updates) for VLC I always downloaded your updated package and replaced all files except the data folder.
In short: yes, for me the dvdcss folder ist left behind when using the PortableApps version.
System: Win 8.1 x64 (without the big "8.2" update), VLC portable located under D:\programme (not the regular programs path)

JohnTHaller

#47 Post by JohnTHaller »

zorro wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:31 am Well, I used your portable VLC since version 1.0 - I don't know when the dvdcss began to show up after closing VLC, but it's been a while. Unlike Firefox (where I always used the internal update function and therefore missed some launcher updates) for VLC I always downloaded your updated package and replaced all files except the data folder.
In short: yes, for me the dvdcss folder ist left behind when using the PortableApps version.
System: Win 8.1 x64 (without the big "8.2" update), VLC portable located under D:\programme (not the regular programs path)
That's odd. I just fired it up VLC Portable 2.2.8 on my Windows 10 x64 machine from D:\programme\VLCPortable and started playing a DVD. As expected, APPDATA\dvdcss is created. Then I closed VLC Portable and the dvdcss file was deleted as it's supposed to be. Are you sure you always close out the app before shutting down Windows or pulling your drive? Does it have any issues with a vlc.exe process stuck running in the background preventing the launcher from cleaning up? Could you please delete the dvdcss folder, run VLC Portable, play a DVD, and then close VLC to see if the dvdcss folder is properly deleted? If you're willing, I'd love to troubleshoot this with a full thread in our forums to avoid cluttering this topic if you continue to see the issue.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

JohnTHaller

#48 Post by JohnTHaller »

Side note, I'm not sure "No. Creates dvdcss folder in %APPDATA% when playing DVD." is fully explaining the issue in the listing. The fact that a folder with the name of every DVD you play is created within dvdcss would seem to be worth mentioning. For instance, when I put in my Shawshank Redemption DVD, VLC creates the folder APPDATA\dvdcss\THE_SHAWSHANK_REDEMPTION_D1- and then a hash string.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

zorro

#49 Post by zorro »

John, I'll test this tomorrow and post a short update here and also the full description in your forum (I suppose this is the right location: https://portableapps.com/forums/support/music-video?)

JohnTHaller

#50 Post by JohnTHaller »

zorro wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:18 pm John, I'll test this tomorrow and post a short update here and also the full description in your forum (I suppose this is the right location: https://portableapps.com/forums/support/music-video?)
That's it, yes. Thanks in advance!

zorro

#51 Post by zorro »

Hi John - I'm very sorry, it was my fault:
Just checked the whole procedure with your v2.2.8-package and the dvdcss-folder is not left behind!
I only play DVDs with VLC in conjunction with VideoToVideo and sometimes AmokDVD in order to determine which titles/chapters I have to convert. And the dvdcss-folder is also created/used by VideoToVideo - thus left behind when I start VideoToVideo after closing VLC Portable...

Sorry again - PortableApps.com VLC Portable is stealth!

JohnTHaller

#52 Post by JohnTHaller »

zorro wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:10 am Hi John - I'm very sorry, it was my fault:
Just checked the whole procedure with your v2.2.8-package and the dvdcss-folder is not left behind!
I only play DVDs with VLC in conjunction with VideoToVideo and sometimes AmokDVD in order to determine which titles/chapters I have to convert. And the dvdcss-folder is also created/used by VideoToVideo - thus left behind when I start VideoToVideo after closing VLC Portable...

Sorry again - PortableApps.com VLC Portable is stealth!
Hey zorro. No worries at all. I'm just glad it's working as designed for you on your machine. And thanks for checking and get back to me! :)

Special

#53 Post by Special »

Midas

#54 Post by Midas »

Topic update: VLC v3.0.8 released a while ago (no date, changelog still at https://www.videolan.org/developers/vlc-branch/NEWS).

Although originally a FLOSS project, VLC and its derivatives are available for a truly impressive array of different systems -- e.g., see https://www.videolan.org/vlc/#download, where a counter is currently stating it had more than 72 million downloads.

BTW, an open repo of all VLC versions can be found at https://get.videolan.org/vlc/.

For an in-depth look on the history, people and challenges behind such a project, check this piece...
"We’re just not attracting the traditional open-source contributors -- [whether] students or employees from large companies. [...] At the moment, it’s basically me and Felix [Kühne] and maybe one other person doing it in their free time", alongside the paid company employees. To try and counteract the downturn, the team members behind VLC plan to change their main forms of communication from IRC chat and a mailing list "to a more modern approach where you can upload your stuff to a website and do annotations not in email but on a proper platform, like in Github".

giulia

#55 Post by giulia »

hi
but can somebody explain ?
No matter what, it will create %APPDATA%\vlc, but some of the files there can be avoided but keeping a read-only config file.
You can call it zero-cache and always start VLC only by a shortcut of vlc --config=zero-cache
The zero-cache text file should contain:
[qt]
qt-recentplay=0
qt-privacy-ask=0
[core]
plugins-cache=0
in that folder there are these files
ml.xspf
vlc-qt-interface.ini
vlcrc

can sombody explain ?
vlcrc without extension its the config file , should be set read-only ?
so vlc won't save any settings
or should we add

Code: Select all

[qt]
qt-recentplay=0
qt-privacy-ask=0
[core]
plugins-cache=0 
in the vlcrc

webfork

#56 Post by webfork »

Update here: I've pulled down the following text that was in the VLC extract instructions:
No matter what, it will create %APPDATA%\vlc, but some of the files there can be avoided but keeping a read-only config file.
You can call it zero-cache and always start VLC only by a shortcut of vlc --config=zero-cache
[section][qt]
qt-recentplay=0
qt-privacy-ask=0
[core]
plugins-cache=0[/section]
Recommend updating those steps so they're a bit more clear (currently even I don't know how to follow them). I'd also generally prefer to link instructions like those to included forum posts rather than within in the entry. Otherwise, it looks like the extract process is a lot more complex than it needs to be.

lwc

#57 Post by lwc »

To make VLC even more stealth, some traces can be avoided by keeping a read-only config file.

Code: Select all

[qt]
qt-recentplay=0
qt-privacy-ask=0

[core]
plugins-cache=0
Last edited by lwc on Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lintalist

#58 Post by lintalist »

The entry was updated to v3.0.20 released today, but there are no such download available, only a tar file current contents of https://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/3.0.20/
Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/3.0.20/
../
vlc-3.0.20.tar.xz 30-Oct-2023 08:34 25596392
Should the v3.0.20 actually become available, the entry should be edited of course.
I reverted the update to v3.0.19.

lintalist

#59 Post by lintalist »

Now the windows v3.0.20 zip/7z/msi files are available, updated entry.