VLC - media player

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
guinness

Re: VLC 0.9.8a

#16 Post by guinness »

ZioZione,

I should've known you were involved with WinPenPack, from Italy and understands VBScript the clues were there.

ZioZione

#17 Post by ZioZione »

Hi guiness,
guinness wrote:ZioZione,

I should've known you were involved with WinPenPack, from Italy and understands VBScript the clues were there.
I assumed you already knew that I am a member of winPenPack Team, sorry for not having detailed this fact... ;)
My knowledgement of VBScript, instead, is not related in any manner to winPenPack development (were I use AutoIt), but simply to my job :)
Best Regards
ZioZione

lautrepay

#18 Post by lautrepay »

I give up. At this point I feel like the user who asked for help in the VLC forums some time ago.
Only a few details.
First, I assumed that it was understood that I was using the PortableApps.com version. My apologies to guinness and JohnTHaller because it was not the case.
Secondly, thanks to ZioZione by the advice, but at the time of his/her post I had already tried that option unsuccessfully.
The fact is that, for an unknown reason, it's impossible to change the language.
And it's very strange. I can not even blame my Vista 64. Although I do not use this app regularly, I've installed each new version and never had a problem with the language.
But suddenly, neither version is working properly. None of PA.c (older or newer), none of wPP (including the latest 2.0), not even the normally installable.
Finally, and to be more precise, I must say that I can switch between languages, and the changes are reflected in VLC's configuration file (vlcrc).
My impression is that VLC can't find its own language files, or can't load them properly, and therefore always starts with its default internal language (english).
The only plausible explanation is that with the last reinstallation of my system I've lost a system file that VLC depends on.
But apparently there are no missing libraries.
Any ideas?

JohnTHaller

#19 Post by JohnTHaller »

lautrepay - Have you tried uninstalling VLC and removing all settings for it? Then maybe reupdating all your Visual C runtimes? Also check out your environment variables as VLC may pick one of those up. Just riffing on some possibilities.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

lautrepay

#20 Post by lautrepay »

JohnTHaller wrote:lautrepay - Have you tried uninstalling VLC and removing all settings for it? Then maybe reupdating all your Visual C runtimes? Also check out your environment variables as VLC may pick one of those up. Just riffing on some possibilities.
Thanks for your help, JohnTHaller!
Let me explain:
My portables are placed in a secondary partition. Among them, VLC Portable, which I update every new release. And every time I've opened VLC the language was spanish.
I've got this configuration since about 4 years. During this period I've reinstalled my system 5 or 6 times. My regional configuration is always the same, my keyboard layout is always the same, the environment variables are the same.
But perhaps something happened last time I've formatted. I can't remember if I've opened the player after that (I suppose no).
So, when PA.c released the new v2.0 I downloaded it and installed in the same place. But the interface was in english. I tried a lot of variables and nothing. I decided to downgrade to the last 1.x version, which I was sure worked with no problems. But I couldn't change the language. I tested with winPenPack version with the same result. I put VLC Portable 2.0 in a pendrive and plugged in a machine with XP. Spanish automatically. Come back to my notebook: english. I tested the new w.P.P. 2.0 and finally I installed the normal version with no success. And to be sure, I did a complete cleanup to try your version again. Nothing.
I am an obsesive applications collector. My portables folder has 544 subfolders. I've got no problems with the other 543, so my conclusion is that the problem is VLC (not VLC Portable or X-VideoLan).

ZioZione

#21 Post by ZioZione »

Hi lautrepay,
can try just another couple of hints? Just for being sure that the fault depends entirely on VLC itself.
Let's take X-VideoLan 2.0 and edit X-VideoLan.ini file

1) Decomment (i.e. delete the prepending ";" character) the line
"LANGUAGE=en"
below ";(locale)"; then change the language as you want (i.e. LANGUAGE=de) and run X-VideoLan.exe.
Did the interface language is German, now?

2) Change the line
Parameters=--config "%VLC_HOME%\vlcrc"
as follows
Parameters=--config "%VLC_HOME%\vlcrc" --language=de
then run X-VideoLan.exe.

Hope some of this helps...
ZioZione (he ;) )

lautrepay

#22 Post by lautrepay »

Hi, ZioZione, thanks for your help.
There's an advance now. Let's see...
ZioZione wrote:1) Decomment (i.e. delete the prepending ";" character) the line
"LANGUAGE=en"
below ";(locale)"; then change the language as you want (i.e. LANGUAGE=de) and run X-VideoLan.exe.
Yes. It works. I should consider myself satisfied but...
I can change the language editing X-VideoLan.ini. And the GUI will be shown in the selected language even if I choose another language from Preferences or editing the vlcrc file.
For example. I edit X-VideoLan.ini:

Code: Select all

LANGUAGE=it
I open the app, the interface is in italian. Then I go to Preferenze and in Lingua I select Catalá. Save and close. Open again: Gui is in italian, although the vlcrc file says

# Language (stringa)
language=ca
Close again. Open the ini file and comment the line.

;LANGUAGE=it
Close and save. Open the player: the GUI is in english, although Menu Language still says Catalá.
An interesting detail is that if I edit the ini file with

LANGUAGE=auto
I get english.
It seems that VLC doesn't obey its own configuration file.
ZioZione wrote:2) Change the line
Parameters=--config "%VLC_HOME%\vlcrc"
as follows
Parameters=--config "%VLC_HOME%\vlcrc" --language=de
then run X-VideoLan.exe.
No. Doesn't work at all.

Thanks again. Hope this helps to solve this problem. From what I have seen it affects many users of VLC.[/quote]

ZioZione

#23 Post by ZioZione »

Hi lautrepay,
thank you for your answer. It sounds really interesting... :!:
"LANGUAGE", for X-VideoLan.exe launcher, in an Environment Variable, and the fact that it works could point us to what is, probably, your problem.
Preface: the language change on my X-VideoLan copy (i.e. without using "LANGUAGE" or "--language") works correctly.
I have done another test: I created a new environment variable LANGUAGE, assigning it the value "en". From this moment on, the interface language of VideoLan remains English and every language change into X-VideoLan does not affect this behavior.
So, what I think is that in your PC you have a LANGUAGE environment variable set to "en" (created by one of your programs...), and VideoLan, maybe, searches first LANGUAGE env and then vlcrc file for interface language (i.e. LANGUAGE envvar content overrides vlcrc language setting).
The reason because the X-VideoLan works (setting explicitly LANGUAGE to, let's say, German), is that this is a "temporary" setting (i.e. only during X-VideoLan execution time), then LANGUAGE env is set back to english.
Maybe this could explain this strange behavior?
Best Regards
ZioZione

lautrepay

#24 Post by lautrepay »

ZioZione wrote: Maybe this could explain this strange behavior?
Hopefully so, but is not the case. The only language environment variable I've got in my system is set to sp.
And it could not be otherwise. As I pointed out above, I have tons of programs installed on my system, and I've had no problems with the language's recognition. At least all of them allow me to change the language if there are options available, including all that use LC_MESSAGES and .mo files for localization. No one overrides their configuration files in favour of an environment variable.
Therefore, it is still a mystery to be solved!

lautrepay

#25 Post by lautrepay »

@ZioZione: You were partially right about the environment variables.
After a lot of trial and error I've found a partial solution for VLC's language problem. I created a LANGUAGE user environment variable and set it to es (not sp).
Now all versions of VLC (winPen Pack, PortableApps and the normally installed) start in spanish.
It's a partial solution because VLC still doesn't allow me to change the language and, although I'm very curious about what's the problem with my system, I will not continue with the research (I'm not even a VLC user).
My hope is that this solution would help many VLC users with similar problems (I've found numerous cases in the official forums).
Anyway, thanks for your help!

ZioZione

#26 Post by ZioZione »

Hi lautrepay,
after what you say, I still think that there is some environment variable that hurts VLC... ;)
This because I read some of VLC documentation and (also if nothing is officially stated) seems that when VLC "senses" that there is some environment variable related to some language, it takes the value of that variable, and every internal setting is ignored...
The variables that VLC searches, apparently, does not limit to LANGUAGE, but could also be something analogous (like LC_ALL, or others).
Of course, if for you is enough to set LANGUAGE="your preferred language" to reach your objective, also for me is ok ;) LANGUAGE can be set, as you have already seen above, also from X-VideoLan.ini file, so you can decide to use X-VL in English while the other are in Spanish. Anyway, glad to be of some help!
Best Regards
ZioZione

webfork

VLC for screen capture

#27 Post by webfork »

VLC includes screen recording tools that I'm so far very pleased with. Media - Open Capture Device - Capture Mode: Desktop. Choose a framerate (by default 1 frame per second) Click the triangle next to play and choose "Convert" and select your video output. Then click "Start". Could probably use Video to Video to add an audio track. (Tools - Audio/Video Mux)

Seems to only capture the primary desktop, but after a lot of problems with CamStudio, I'm happy to see anything that works this smoothly.

Anyway, I added it to the Video - Capture category.

joby_toss

#28 Post by joby_toss »

@webfork: you should give oCam a try!

procyon

Re: VLC 3 will be (almost) natively portable

#29 Post by procyon »

Some good news about a VLC natively portable.
With this commit, the future VLC (branch 3.x.x) will have the ability to be natively portable.

And you can test it: http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win32/last/

webfork

Re: VLC 3 will be (almost) natively portable

#30 Post by webfork »

procyon wrote:Some good news about a VLC natively portable.
Good to hear they understand the importance of portability. I'll test it at release rather than during the nightly structure.

Thanks procyon.