ThumbWin

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
-.-

ThumbWin

#1 Post by -.- »

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... %26hl%3Den
site is in japenese but there is english translation for program

it minimizes windows to desktop with a thumbnail instead of to start bar

donald

The Setup has an untranslated option

#2 Post by donald »

The Setup has an untranslated option
It is in the Operation TAB
it looks like/similar to this( fTFefifCf<,dSg'a,:eB)

can anyone tell me what it does??

can you find a contact for Hiroshi Takahashi?

appsuser

#3 Post by appsuser »

Nice program. One step further to help get rid of the task bar for those of us who use launchers/docks. The above link gave me a 404 error, but this one worked:

http://www4.point.ne.jp/hiro/ThumbWin/thumbwin.html

Downloaded the .zip file, runs fine (defaulted to English for me). However, the program settings are saved in the registry under [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hiro's tool\ThumbWin], so the settings aren't portable. Be perfectly portable if there was an option to save these settings to an .ini file in the program directory.
donald wrote:The Setup has an untranslated option
It is in the Operation TAB
it looks like/similar to this( fTFefifCf<,dSg'a,:eB)

can anyone tell me what it does??
When you click that selection, the registry value "ShowThumbButton" toggles...I'm certain it's an option to turn the upper-right maximize/close buttons on the thumbnails on or off.

-.-

#4 Post by -.- »

o, link i posted was for google to translate it :S didnt know it didnt work for some people

donald

Has anyone tried version 1.25

#5 Post by donald »

Has anyone tried version 1.25 yet?
since sometimes older versions are very different from their successors it could be portable

also has anyone contacted the author?

additionally I found this when I looked over the site again
"Install
1. Twsetup.exe to download.
2. Twsetup.exe run.
3. ThumbWin installer to install and follow the instructions, please.

Ann Stoll
1. Control Panel to add and remove programs from the start, please.
2. "Currently installed programs," ThumbWin to select from, and change, please click the Remove button.
3. ThumbWin instructions, please delete.
4. ThumbWin using the registry, so you worry that you please remove the key.
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Hiro's tool \ ThumbWin"

This Ann Stoll looks suspiciously like Install but I am just guessing
They told us about the registry changes under Ann Stoll

This app is very cool could someone try building a JauntPE Launcher Please

Oh if you need a reason try using it with Yodm

donald

found an email link

#6 Post by donald »

Update The website directory has a link to email the program author/developer but it uses outlook

If anyone out there can please email a request for portable settings just go to http://www4.point.ne.jp/hiro/

ashghost

#7 Post by ashghost »

The website link doesn't use Outlook, the computer you're using uses Outlook as the default for internet "mailto:" links. Just right-click on the link, and select "Copy email address", then paste it into your webmail of choice.

"Ann Stoll" is definitely supposed to be"Uninstall".

joby_toss

#8 Post by joby_toss »

I am trying to make a launcher for this app, but i'm having some troubles (i don't know much AutoIt).
Here is a screenshot of the script:
The error i get is (because of Line 3): "Unterminated string". The reason for this error is the quotation highlighted in yellow (ScriptToApp is treating it the same as those quotations highlighted in red).
The full script looks like this:
RunWait("regedit.exe /s portable.reg", @ScriptDir)
RunWait("App\ThumbWin.exe")
RunWait('regedit.exe /s /e "' & @ScriptDir & '\portable.reg" "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hiro's tool\ThumbWin"')
RunWait("regedit.exe /s portable2.reg", @ScriptDir)
If anyone knows the solution for avoiding this please post it here!
Thanks!

appsuser

#9 Post by appsuser »

joby_toss wrote: The error i get is (because of Line 3): "Unterminated string". The reason for this error is the quotation highlighted in yellow (ScriptToApp is treating it the same as those quotations highlighted in red).
I haven't looked at the script yet but I think the syntax error you're getting is because if you want to use quotes (single or double) in strings, you have to type them twice, such as:

Code: Select all

RunWait('regedit.exe /s /e "' & @ScriptDir & '\portable.reg" "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hiro''s tool\ThumbWin"') 

joby_toss

#10 Post by joby_toss »

appsuser wrote:I haven't looked at the script yet but I think the syntax error you're getting is because if you want to use quotes (single or double) in strings, you have to type them twice...
Thank you, thank you, thank you ! :)

So, here it is : ThumbWinPortable (using AutoIt launcher - source script included).

Note: I've made it so that it only cleans "ThumbWin" registry subkey on exit leaving the "Hiro's tool" key intact. This is because someone might use another one of this guy's great tools (which have there own subkeys) and i don't want to be responsible for losing those settings.
To completely remove registry entries just edit "portable2.reg" file so it looks like this:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hiro's tool]

donald

Thank you JobyToss

#11 Post by donald »

Thank you JobyToss

I love the way this works but it requires that I have Administrative Privileges.

I would ask that anyone who has the know how try Jaunte Pe to build a launcher that wont need the registry.

Or is it not possible with this app?

-.-

#12 Post by -.- »

hm im back :S ugh not sure what all you are talking about :( the zip download from his site ran without installing, hence portable...

no idea what the registry thing you are talking about though

ashghost

#13 Post by ashghost »

-.- wrote:hm im back :S ugh not sure what all you are talking about :( the zip download from his site ran without installing, hence portable...

no idea what the registry thing you are talking about though
See the TPFC "About" page for some information about portability: http://www.portablefreeware.com/about.php

All of the portable applications in the database that can store their settings can store those settings portably, but ThumbWin does not have that capability. ThumbWin's settings (thumbnail size, positioning, etc.) are saved in the registry (a file that stores a vast amount of settings in Windows) of the computer you're working on. When you take the program to another computer, you'll have to re-customize the program.

There are assuredly hundreds, if not thousands, of applications that could work without being installed, despite not being truly portable.

donald

in reply

#14 Post by donald »

I would like to use this app without losing my settings

But I also don't want to edit the registry (this requires admin privileges)

I am hoping someone with the skill to use Jaunte PE can build a launcher to do this.

joby_toss

#15 Post by joby_toss »

JPE version here.
Hope it works for you too!