New Launcher USBPro ....

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
ssanai

New Launcher USBPro ....

#1 Post by ssanai »

USBPro is a application launcher. look a bit similar to Pstart but much more than that.

web site : http://blog.usboffice.kr
download : http://ftp.usboffice.kr/files/UsbPro.exe

* Feature

• - Multi Tab and languages support
    - Drive letter fixing, USB safely remove functions.
    - Group Add, file add, folder add and folder icon change
    - Builtin Wallpaper changer and Desktop icon hide function.
    - Keyboard short cut support.
    - File extention association function available!
    - Auto portable application termination ( when USBPro is finished, it try to finish all the applications which is located at the same drive )
    - Environment variables support ( %windows%, %system%…. and %udirve% for the current USB drive )
    - And more~~

* Screenshot

joby_toss

#2 Post by joby_toss »

But PStart works even when launched from the hard drive, or cd, or dvd.
This one does not. This is a big minus for me.
File extention association function is nice though.

nickoftime

#3 Post by nickoftime »

Ditto for me - I run PSTART off of the %SYSTEMDRIVE% and my Thumb Drive when on another PC.

Also, Couldn't move any of the PSTART entries over to this app - tried to map and copy XML paragraphs between PSTART & USB Pro - couldn't get it to work.

I think this program has promise - I like the tabbed approach for categorizing the entries.

Thanks for the post,

Nick

ssanai

There is a way to run it on local drives

#4 Post by ssanai »

joby_toss wrote:But PStart works even when launched from the hard drive, or cd, or dvd.
This one does not. This is a big minus for me.
File extention association function is nice though.
Thanks for the interest in USBPro .... and sorry for my lack of the explaination.

There is a way to run usbpro on Local drives....

1. Rename UsbPro.exe to UsbPro-pc.exe
2. Run UsbPro-pc.exe

Then you can use it on Local drives~

It has usb drive removal function ans it may cause some problem on local drives.

So~ you rename it to usbpro-pc.exe, you can not use drive removal.

GeddichNixan

#5 Post by GeddichNixan »

Looks very nice, could be an alternative for PStart in my case, thanks to the developer.

I don't understad the problem with starting from the HDD. After download it started without any complaint right from my HDD.

However, can we expect an English manual? As a matter of fact, I can't read Korean (not that I understand it when I hear it).

GeddichNixan

#6 Post by GeddichNixan »

Correction:

At each start it comes up with a "createfile error" message, but otherwise it doesn't seem to influence it's functionality so far.

ssanai

#7 Post by ssanai »

GeddichNixan wrote:Correction:

At each start it comes up with a "createfile error" message, but otherwise it doesn't seem to influence it's functionality so far.
Thanks for the report. May I ask your operating system?

Regarding english manual, I am thinking about making it.

Thanks~

joby_toss

Re: There is a way to run it on local drives

#8 Post by joby_toss »

ssanai wrote:Thanks for the interest in USBPro .... and sorry for my lack of the explaination.

There is a way to run usbpro on Local drives....

1. Rename UsbPro.exe to UsbPro-pc.exe
2. Run UsbPro-pc.exe

Then you can use it on Local drives~

It has usb drive removal function ans it may cause some problem on local drives.

So~ you rename it to usbpro-pc.exe, you can not use drive removal.
Now we're talking! :)
I like it very much.
I don't see the option where i can set a custom working directory for items.
Is there a way to auto hide the panel after launching an item?
Could extension associate option be used when launching UsbPro from hard drive? 'Cause i couldn't get it to work.
Thanks!

GeddichNixan

#9 Post by GeddichNixan »

@ssanai

My operating system is Win XP, SP3.

I downloaded USBPro to my Desktop of a limited account and started it from there for a first test run. It first came up with the "creatfile error" after clicking on OK a plain app window appeared and the prog created a new file (english.lng). Later on it also created a file named "USBPro.xml". I haven't started playing around with the app so far. The only thing I did I switched on the "System Info" tab. Maybe a more thourough testing would have created the same result than in the case of the others (i.e. that "Use USB only" meassage).

Anyway, I like the app at the first sight and will definitely take the time to test it.

Greetings

justsky

#10 Post by justsky »

I also think this launcher has potential. In particular because it is the most advanced launcher I have seen that runs in Wine and Darwine in Linux and on a Mac. So far Qsel has been the best I could find.
Unfortunately it has a show-stopping flaw. It will not retain the program icons when it is moved. If I have it on my desktop and add 2 programs to the menu the program icons are visible. If I move it to any other location the icons are gone. When I move it back to my desktop the icons remain gone. Interestingly, the programs themselves continue to work at any location. Only the icons disappear.
I am using Vista.

cmmehl

#11 Post by cmmehl »

Really a nice program! Love the tabs!

I second the suggestion to have the program window disappear when launching an item.

Additionally, another suggestion: could the UsbPro.xml file be hidden in a directory? Possibly even deeper than just a root-directory? First of all, the xml-file clutters the root directory, and second I have already more than once clicked on it by mistake.

The feature to put background pictures is quite nice, I would however like to have the option to put just a background color for the tabs.

Congratulations to the author, and good continuation!
Chris

nickoftime

#12 Post by nickoftime »

After renaming the file as mentioned above, it worked great. Also, I have temporarily replaced PStart with USB Pro - so far, it's running great and I have not had any stability issues.

Respectfully, here are few suggestions. It's not to criticize your work - you really did a great job with this software. I offer these comments to help you make this app better. As a side note, I'm running the software in english.

On the Environment > ViewPanel Tab, it would be nice to have an option to hide the name (just like the one for 'Add Item Info'. This way, you can use the 'Big Icon' options with no text, but still have the tool-tip display the details.

Also, the tooltip feature has a bug - puts some unrecognizable characters in the tip box. It may be the translation to english, but am not sure.

Also in the ViewPanel tab, the 'Translate' heading should read 'Transparency' - I feel that this is a key feature - it works great!

Both the System Info and Search tabs are also great features. The search feature works great and is fast. Also, it would be cool to be able to change the font color and background on the System Info tab (Tab Property feature is not available).

Also, changing the tab colors would also be awesome.

Thanks again for a great product - this is really great stuff :)

Nick

Master of Dice

#13 Post by Master of Dice »

a more intuitive solution would be check if the drive is connected via sata. then don't remove the drive.
I still want to use the feature to close all open programms started via the launcher.
Shut down all started apps and then close the launcher and execute some exit scripts (eg. backup settings....)
That's the only thing i miss in pstart.

cmmehl

#14 Post by cmmehl »

Another little suggestion: when the stick is taken out before closing usbpro, it should not make a big fuss of that when the computer shuts down.

This is currently the case, it stops the shutdown process, complaining that its path doesn't exist.

Yeah I know one shouldn't take off a stick like that ... no need to remind me ;-) ... I know the risk and am ready to take it, and I'm not the only one ...

Btw - I am convinced this program has a great potential! Haven't looked at other launchers since years, always happy with qsel - but here I'm getting tempted.

Master of Dice

#15 Post by Master of Dice »

oh. And one of my most wanted features. I want to start an app as an administrator like in vista. please add a context menu to do that.