TreePAD

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
acgrego

TreePAD

#1 Post by acgrego »

I think this is portable....the file is created in the instalation folder!

http://www.treepad.com/treepadfreeware/

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

The program settings (font size, colors etc.) are saved to the registry.

When you unplug and run the program on a different machine, all those settings are reset to the default (or whatever was set on that machine).

acgrego

Treepad

#3 Post by acgrego »

Strange....because on product comparation they say that can be installed on USB drive....

Darkbee

#4 Post by Darkbee »

There are various versions of TreePad... which one are you referring to... I assume TreePad Lite, since the rest are not freeware. Perhaps that is where the confusion lies?

For what it's worth, I noted some months ago that TreePad Lite was NOT portable and requested of FreeByte software that they make it so. They responded by saying that it was in the works, so perhaps they were good on their word or perhaps they decided to only make the paid versions portable?

Code: Select all

[update]
Just downloaded v3.0 and it writes settings to the registry in the following location:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Freebyte\Treepad2

So I'm assuming that whereever you read that TreePad can store settings outside of the registry only applies to paid versions. 
[/update]

Darkbee

#5 Post by Darkbee »

Another update:

According to the TreePad Comparison Chart, about two "page Up" keys from the bottom of the page (dependant on your screen resolution and so forth)
Run directly from external disk (USB disk, thumb drive, flash drive, pen-drive, CD-Rom, removable harddisk, etc.) without any install.
However, if you read between the lines you could interpret this as:
"TreePad Lite will still run from an external if it hasn't been installed on the current computer, it will just create new settings in the registry automatically".

Notice that the website says NOTHING about where the settings are stored, simply that the program can be run from a USB drive, which is a bit naughty really because it's kinda misleading. I'm sure there are many programs that I can run, without installing, from a USB drive but that doesn't make them portable.

erisraven

TreePad

#6 Post by erisraven »

It's worse if you have a registered version - you have to repeat the registration process on each new computer you go to. :P

Xinok

TreePad Lite

#7 Post by Xinok »

I know this program has been submitted in the past before. I guess they've added this feature recently which allows you to store the settings to an INI file in the program directory.

TreePad Lite
Download (ZIP Package): http://www.freebytesoftware.com/download/treepad.zip

Category: Text - Editors OR Text - Notepads

Instructions: Open the settings (View -> Options). Under Treepad \ Settings, choose to store TreePad settings in the same directory as the TreePad program.

joby_toss

Re: TreePad Lite

#8 Post by joby_toss »

Portable for me ... after "treepadlite.ini" file is created.

webfork

Re: TreePad Lite

#9 Post by webfork »

Added ... thanks Joby

I *believe* unicode support is "partial" but I couldn't find anything for sure on this.

Andrew Lee

TreePad Lite

#10 Post by Andrew Lee »

Application name: TreePad Lite

Date tested: 2006-05-13

Reason: Writes settings to registry.

Midas

Re: TreePAD

#11 Post by Midas »

According to this comment, TreePad's author (Henk Hagedoorn) has passed away. :cloud:

Andrew Lee

#12 Post by Andrew Lee »

@Cornflower:
Dear Admin:

I'm not able to reply to Cornflower since I just reactivated my account, but please pass the message below on to them. Thank you.

> Hi, I didn't want to put an open comment in case this is inaccurate? Did Henk Hagedoorn die? His treepad site has been down for a year or two, but a google search for his name and "treepad" show up nothing.

Hi Cornflower, I just found out about this the other day and I'm really bummed about it Emoji

Apparently his sister Elisa announced it on here, but deleted her post. You can still see the responses, starting from this post:

https://alternativeto.net/software/tree ... ost-100459

Unless it's some sick joke, I think it's legit. However, since this is a sensitive matter and you might want 100% confirmation, I'd understand if you don't publish my post.

Tom

Cornflower

#13 Post by Cornflower »

If you dig, Elisa's post is there (open the replies). It appears she made an account on Alternative.to in November 2020, and made the remark about Henk's passing a year previous, which makes sense with respect to the last updates of Treepad being 2018 or 2019.

Treepad truly was a great early PIM. I purchased the Plus version, and when I retired found I had a wealth of notes and information stored over the years in the treepad databases.

If any are interested, here is an interview he gave twenty years ago. http://mediamanint.com/interviews/a_hagedoorn.html

Midas

#14 Post by Midas »

Incidentally, Treepad (Lite) was also an early favorite of mine due to its well documented text-based note/database format and CSV compatibility -- in a previous age, I used it quite extensively to manage some hierarchical onthologies/classifications I was in charge of. After I left that role, my use of it waned...