Merriam-Webster's Dictionary and Thesaurus 3.0 Portable

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
pravin_29

Merriam-Webster's Dictionary and Thesaurus 3.0 Portable

#1 Post by pravin_29 »

Now here it comes.... after long wait!!!
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary and Thesaurus 3.0 Portable

Download it from my collections of portable applications link removed

Keep Enjoying my fourth release

USB_Kx

#2 Post by USB_Kx »

great freeware!!

GeddichNixan

#3 Post by GeddichNixan »

Is it really freeware?

opsimathic

#4 Post by opsimathic »

GeddichNixan wrote:Is it really freeware?
Any chance you could elucidate on that statement a little?

e.g. tell us the reason(s) for your suspicions that this application is not "really freeware."

Many thanks!
/opsimathic

GeddichNixan

#5 Post by GeddichNixan »

I have never ever "elucidated" on anything before (well, those self-study English learners) so thanks for giving me the opportunity. Here we go:

I basically assume the second worst (i.e. payware - the worst would be "virus-infested-payware-crap") about a software when I do not know it. Before I use it I also check the developer's homepage for further information. I do so because there is quite a number of "portable software" sites out there offering portable payware cracks.

I had no particular evidence against it's freeware status I simply did not know the software. It was only a humble question (BTW, for correctness sake NOT a statement BUT a question) with the expected answers:

Option 1. - Yes it is, here the download link or reference for the non-portable freeware version FYI.

Option 2. - No, it isn't.

But be it like it is, I did some internet search and what it yielded was the following:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/
(Any non-portable freeware version of the above in the download section? - nope)

From the Merriam-Webster.com site you will be redirected to this one when you click on "Shop":
https://buy.babylon.com/index.php?templ ... PPENGMAWEB
(Klick on the "i"-Button beside "Merriam-Webster")

So once again:

Is it really freeware?

Please convince me it IS and I will be one of it's happy users. Otherwise it may only be interesting for those who already own a valid licence for the product or those who don't care.

BTW, knowing "Merriam-Webster" in hardcopy I honestly hope you will be able to convince me.

Andrew Lee

#6 Post by Andrew Lee »

@pravin_29:

Please do not post appz/warez to this forum. Otherwise, I have no choice but to disable your account.

pravin_29

#7 Post by pravin_29 »

Its very regretful to realize that my posts are treated as "appz/warez". A person who is using can very well understand that my portable softwares are thinstalled and is not a direct application. Anyways that's my last post to make you understand.
Goodbye

USB_Kx

#8 Post by USB_Kx »

talk about digging a deeper grave.. :lol:

MiDoJo

#9 Post by MiDoJo »

A person who is using can very well understand that my portable softwares are thinstalled and is not a direct application
Just Because something is thinstalled it DOES NOT make it portable freeware (just to be clear the stress is on FREE) nor does that Give you the right to distribute it

As Far as Can be told Pravin's Product is just a thinstalled version of

http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/ ... cc11.htm&7

which costs 14.95

Good Call GeddichNixan

Therefore it is a WAREZ product
Its very regretful to realize that my posts are treated as "appz/warez"
is it me or is the fact that in a thread about an english language book (a dictionary) the words "elucidated"(which I'm 100% is not an english word) and Regretful (from the very dictionary hocked here 1: sorrow aroused by circumstances beyond one's control or power to repair
2 a: an expression of distressing emotion (as sorrow) b: plural : a note politely declining an invitation) appear. I mean I'm not saying anything I'm just saying perhaps some people need a dictionary program (FOR WHICH THEY SHOULD PAY THE $14.95 for BEFORE THINSTALLING FOR PERSONAL USE)

Personally Sir not only do I think Andrew is well within his right to BAN you from the forum but ought report your site to MW as you are breaking U.S. and International Copyrights by distributing it
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Tenth Edition copyright © 2002 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Thesaurus copyright © 1988 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

A MERRIAM-WEBSTER, MERRIAM-WEBSTER, COLLEGIATE, WEBSTER'S COLLEGIATE, WEBSTER'S UNABRIDGED, WEBSTER'S THIRD NEW INTERNATIONAL AND DESIGN, MERRIAM-WEBSTER'S COLLEGIATE DICTIONARY AND DESIGN, and CIRCLE WITH NW MONOGRAM AND WEBSTER'S, are trademarks of Merriam-Webster, Incorporated.

GeddichNixan

#10 Post by GeddichNixan »

Well, well, well. I was right. How comes I am not happy about it? ':lol:'

@MiDoJo
"I mean I'm not saying anything I'm just saying perhaps some people need a dictionary program (FOR WHICH THEY SHOULD PAY THE $14.95 for BEFORE THINSTALLING FOR PERSONAL USE)"
"...the words "elucidated"(which I'm 100% is not an english word) and Regretful..."
First of all I think that criticising other user's English is quite a pointless thing. As a matter of fact neither are all users of this forum native English speakers, nor are they all at the same (high) level as far as their English is concerned. But even being a native speaker is by no means a guarantee for anything. If you check for example the following link right to the Merriam-Webster website, you will see that the word "elucidate" is very well an English one:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/elucidate

It may be very easy for you to distinguish between "regretful" and "regrettable", but don't expect the same from every user of this forum. The opportunity of getting in contact with others in this forum should be an enrichment even if the one or the other uses a "strage kind of English". So please be patient (forbearing?, indulgent?, clement?, lenient?) with us "linguistically impaired". ':oops:'

What we completely agree about is that those of us who do need a dictionary program definitely should pay for it prior to a thinstallation for personal use (ONLY). They could of course also use some freeware (true FREEWARES) of the same kind instead, there are some available on the internet, there are even some listed here:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?sc=221

Greetings

Simon.T

Ubiquity - It Doesn’t Have to be This Way

#11 Post by Simon.T »

It's not so stable, it's for Firefox, It's (maybe) portable and it's called Ubiquity (Mozilla Links)

and this is a command for babylon (from google cache) check it out also at http://www.geocities.com/ubiquities1/babylon.htm

pretty useful (and I hope that IT IS safe)

Code: Select all

function getElementsByClassName(oElm, strTagName, strClassName) {

var arrElements = (strTagName == "*" && document.all) ?
		document.all : oElm.getElementsByTagName(strTagName);

var arrReturnElements = new Array();
	strClassName = strClassName.replace(/\-/g, "\\-");

var oRegExp = new RegExp("(^|\\s)" + strClassName + "(\\s|$)");
	var oElement;

for(var i=0; i<arrElements.length; i++) {

oElement = arrElements[i];

if(oRegExp.test(oElement.className)) {
			arrReturnElements.push(oElement);
		}

}
	return (arrReturnElements)
}

function removeAllElements(lst) {
	for(var i=0; i < lst.length; i++) {
		lst[i].parentNode.removeChild(lst[i]);
	}
}

var Languages = {
	'ARABIC' : 'ar',
	'CHINESE' : 'zh',
	'CHINESE_TRADITIONAL' : 'zh-TW',
	'DANISH' : 'da',
	'DUTCH': 'nl',
	'ENGLISH' : 'en',
	'FINNISH' : 'fi',
	'FRENCH' : 'fr',
	'GERMAN' : 'de',
	'GREEK' : 'el',
	'HINDI' : 'hi',
	'ITALIAN' : 'it',
	'JAPANESE' : 'ja',
	'KOREAN' : 'ko',
	'NORWEGIAN' : 'no',
	'POLISH' : 'pl',
	'PORTUGUESE' : 'pt-PT',
	'ROMANIAN' : 'ro',
	'RUSSIAN' : 'ru',
	'SPANISH' : 'es',
	'SWEDISH' : 'sv'
};

makeSearchCommand({
	name: "babylon",
	url: "http://info.babylon.com/onlinebox.cgi?rt=ol&tid=pop&tl=de&uil=de&term={QUERY}",
	icon: "http://www.babylon.com/favicon.ico",
	description: "Searches Babylon for your words.",
	takes: {"text to lookup": noun_arb_text},
	modifiers: {in: noun_type_language},

preview: function(pblock, directObject, languages) {
		var searchTerm = directObject.text;
		var pTemplate = "Searches Babylon for <b>${query}</b>";
		var pData = {query: searchTerm};

var inLang = languages.in.text || "English";
		var inLangCode = Languages[inLang.toUpperCase()];

var apiUrl = "http://info.babylon.com/onlinebox.cgi";
		var apiParams = {
			rt: "ol",
			tid: "pop",
			tl: inLangCode,
			uil: "en",
			term: searchTerm
		};

jQuery.ajax({
			type: "GET",
			url: apiUrl,
			data: apiParams,
			dataType: "html",
			error: function() {
				pblock.innerHTML = "Error searching Babylon.";
			},
			success: function(responseData) {
				pblock.innerHTML = responseData;

// lets remove some nags (after putting in the DOM)
				removeAllElements(getElementsByClassName(pblock, 'div', 'OT_CopyrightStyle'));
				removeAllElements(getElementsByClassName(pblock, 'div', 'OT_BannerDiv'));
				removeAllElements(getElementsByClassName(pblock, 'img', 'OT_OnlineImageArea'));
				removeAllElements(getElementsByClassName(pblock, 'a', 'about-gloss'));
			}
		});
	}
});

Simon.T

#12 Post by Simon.T »

I'm sorry, I forgot to add...

Working on different browser??

Blair McBride
However, there has been some talk of eventually making Ubiquity run as a
normal application on your computer, outside of Firefox. This would
allow it to (theoretically) interact with all applications, including
other browsers such as IE/Chrome.

joby_toss

#13 Post by joby_toss »

I've just installed Ubiquity for Firefox and ... I know it sounds retarded, but I just have to say it ... WOW !

Fast searching, fast translating, fast emailing, fast weather reports, fast appointments, fast bookmarking, fast page editing, actions performed on selected text etc. ... it's all there ! :)

There is a downside though: I find it very hard to add a new command (thank God it has plenty) ! :(