The Guide

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
remialdo

The Guide

#1 Post by remialdo »

The Guide is an application that allows you create documents ("guides") which inherently have a tree (which you can modify as you please) and text associated with each node of the tree. The text itself is of the rich-text variety, and the editor allows you to modify the style and formatting of the text (fonts, bold, italics etc).

http://theguide.sourceforge.net/

Download the zip version, preferences check the "enable portable mode"

jmswlms

Can set the mode like this too:

#2 Post by jmswlms »

After downloading, it's enough to edit the guide.ini file and set portable=1.

Useful software. One of those bloat-free and it-just-works sort.

Kea

#3 Post by Kea »

Very nice app indeed. I moved it via my USB stick to another computer and can't find any trace of it after using it there. Tonight (until nine o'clock this morning) I made a very comprehensive "What to do in the garden" in it, with lots of crosslinking and pictures. It totally wrecked my beauty sleep :roll:

risk

Re: Can set the mode like this too:

#4 Post by risk »

jmswlms wrote:After downloading, it's enough to edit the guide.ini file and set portable=1.
Could you please provide details?

Creating a guide.ini and adding "portable=1" does not do it. For example, if you go to View/Preferences and make changes, they are not saved to guide.ini or in the app directory.

Thanks.

spacemonkey

#5 Post by spacemonkey »

I beg to differ... I changed the ini to portable=1 and set save settings to the ini in the preferences. The settings are saved to the ini on closing the app.

jmswlms

Re: Can set the mode like this too:

#6 Post by jmswlms »

risk wrote:
jmswlms wrote:After downloading, it's enough to edit the guide.ini file and set portable=1.
Could you please provide details?

Creating a guide.ini and adding "portable=1" does not do it. For example, if you go to View/Preferences and make changes, they are not saved to guide.ini or in the app directory.
Thanks.
Well, I downloaded the 2.0beta1 version zip file. A guide.ini file was already present in the same directory as guide.exe. Just changing the line "portable=0" to "portable=1" caused settings to be appended into the same ini file itself (at app exit).

-.-

#7 Post by -.- »

um, under the portable tab in settings click the rgy->ini button also

risk

#8 Post by risk »

My apologies. I was trying the latest stable version. The latest beta is portable.

Thanks.

Terrine

#9 Post by Terrine »

Wow, what a great program! I've tried quite a few outliners in the past, and - after Keynote's sad demise - this is the one that currently shows the most promise. Version 2 is fully portable. And open source, too!

remialdo

The Guide v2.0 released!

#10 Post by remialdo »

version 2.0, 13-Dec-2008
Big release with many features! See the features page for screenshots.
New Features:

* Node Icons: Change icons of nodes.
* Node Colors: Change foreground and background colors of nodes. Colors are used in printing and export also.
* Full Unicode Support: Support text in all languages.
* Hyperlinks: Proper hyperlinks, to nodes, files, directories, e-mails and URLs. Link targets are shown in status bar on hover.
* Portable Mode: Run The Guide completely off a USB stick.
* Icons, Checkboxes or Both: Show icons, checkboxes or both on tree nodes.
* Export to XML: A command-line utility "gdeutil.exe", can be used to export .gde files to .xml.
* Remember Node States and Selected Node: When reopened, .gde files reappear however you last closed them.

http://theguide.sourceforge.net/download.html

Nh

#11 Post by Nh »

It adds a menu item in the Windows Explorer's context menu - New.

Kermode

#12 Post by Kermode »

LOOK - can we get this added to the collection finally?????

It doesn't matter what previous versions did - the latest version from their site can simply and clearly be made portable.

You either install it and go to options and click portable, and click to copy settings from the registry to to the ini file, and hence forth its portable.

OR you unzip the archive and open guide.ini and at the top where it says portable=0 change it to portable=1 and its portable.

Yes, its not stealth, there will be a reference to it in some of windows temp registry housekeeping, but that is not in anyway needed for it to run, and there are already thousands of that kind of program in the collection here.

Its a fine little program which shouldn't be left out.