RJ TextEd - Unicode text and source editor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
bitcoin

Re: RJ TextEd - Unicode text and source editor

#16 Post by bitcoin »

combined x32 and x64 into one 130 MB download and the 3 MB help file is a separate download, lol

Midas

#17 Post by Midas »

Current RJ TextEd is 13.30 (changelog at https://www.rj-texted.se/download.html).

@bitcoin: it does look odd -- until you realize the separate help file download is a patch for situations where online help isn't an option...
If you can't use the on-line help - the current CHM help file is still available for download. Copy the help file to "[AppData]\Roaming\RJ TextEd\Help\". If no Internet connection is available -- the local help file is used.
Sadly, that procedure can hardly be considered a portability enhancement. :(

bitcoin

#18 Post by bitcoin »

Midas wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:49 am Current RJ TextEd is 13.30 (changelog at https://www.rj-texted.se/download.html).

@bitcoin: it does look odd -- until you realize the separate help file download is a patch for situations where online help isn't an option...
If you can't use the on-line help - the current CHM help file is still available for download. Copy the help file to "[AppData]\Roaming\RJ TextEd\Help\". If no Internet connection is available -- the local help file is used.
Sadly, that procedure can hardly be considered a portability enhancement. :(
i don't like the online help option. it seems like more and more programs are looking for an excuse to force you to visit their website in the browser
lately i download portable programs and as soon as i start it up it wants to open the default browser thru a svchost.exe - sneaky

webfork

#19 Post by webfork »

Now at v.14.72 with a lot of changes since it was last discussed

Changelog and download:
https://rj-texted.se/download.html

Midas

#20 Post by Midas »

A while back, hamasaki complained (www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2206#comment30715) RJ TextEd wasn't entirely portable; any confirmations?

webfork

#21 Post by webfork »

Confirmed, I'm trying to figure out what went wrong there. As it stands, there's just a scripts folder and not program settings. Stranger still, when you open a script within the program, it automatically looks to a local folder.

Also the program is requiring an download+update to get to the 14.72 version, which is not ideal.

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

A bit of testing later, it looks like the update package works fine in terms of portability, but the program breaks on my system, meaning I need to run version 14.70

I'm not sure whether to switch the entry back to 14.70 or add instructions for the update. Can anyone else test it and let me know if they're having issues similar to mine?

legoplayer123

#23 Post by legoplayer123 »

Is this stealth?