EndItAll 2 - kill all processes except the ones you lock

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
garbanzo

EndItAll 2 - kill all processes except the ones you lock

#1 Post by garbanzo »

EndItAll 2 brings up a window that displays all running processes. critical windows processes are locked by default, and you can lock any others you choose. then click one button and all other processes are closed or killed, depending on the button.

can also block screensaver and/or power management while app is running.

it remembers your settings (INI in program folder), but it doesn't support profiles. it does, however, accept command line arguments, so if you want profiles, you can have multiple copies of the program, each with its own INI, then invoke them with different .bat files.

extracted fine with uniextract. tested with regfromapp and appears to be stealth.

http://www.docsdownloads.com/enditall-1.htm

Baas

#2 Post by Baas »

AFAIK, EndItAll2 is a PC Magazine app and is no longer freeware.

garbanzo

#3 Post by garbanzo »

hmm... it can be hard to distinguish legit downloads these days. i assumed the site i linked to was the developer since the zip file has the source code in it!

well if it's commercial then someone should delete this thread...

m^(2)

#4 Post by m^(2) »

Funny that they distribute it though license included states:
LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR PC MAGAZINE UTILITIES
(...)
Under no circumstances may you distribute
any unaltered or altered version of the Software

garbanzo

#5 Post by garbanzo »

so while we're on the subject, does anyone know a proper portable freeware app that can do this as easily as this does?

i like to trim my machine down before encoding video or running games since in only have 512 ram...

m^(2)

#6 Post by m^(2) »

garbanzo wrote:so while we're on the subject, does anyone know a proper portable freeware app that can do this as easily as this does?

i like to trim my machine down before encoding video or running games since in only have 512 ram...
Advanced Process Termination. And it works better than EIA, I've seen it dealing with some processes that were too tough for EIA.

portackager

#7 Post by portackager »

Hello, I've been using smartclose for a couple of years.

link: http://bmproductions.fixnum.org/smartclose/index.htm

I haven't tested if it's stealth, But it is portable. I copied the install files from another hard drive and it runs just fine.

[edit]
It writes it's settings to:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\BM-productions
everything else appears to be written where the executable resides.
Some other features of SmartClose:

Two wizards: the Close Programs wizard, for closing all the programs, and the Restore wizard, to restore a system snapshot. Both provide an intuitive and clear interface - the latest Windows 2000/XP wizard style - and assist you step by step.

Thanks to its SmartClose-technology, most programs can be properly closed, so that the program can still save its settings and return memory and resources to the system.

In the rare cases that a program can't be properly closed, SmartClose can use SmartKill to kill the program. Still, all the memory and resources used by the program will be freed with this method.

If you don't want a program to be closed or killed by SmartClose, you can add it to a list of 'Protected Programs'.

Besides closing programs, SmartClose also closes Explorer and Internet Explorer windows and saves their current location, so they can be restored properly later.

Disables and restores the screen saver.

Stops and restarts Windows NT/2000/XP-services, such as the Task Scheduler, that can interrupt other processes. On Windows 9x/Millennium, the Task Scheduler can also be disabled and re-enabled.

And finally, you get all of these features for free! SmartClose is 100% freeware without any nag screens, trial periods, ads, spyware etc.

Local

#8 Post by Local »

Advanced Process Termination. And it works better than EIA, I've seen it dealing with some processes that were too tough for EIA.
Has anybody come across an app, preferably stealth, that can do this job better than APT?

There are very few processes that I cannot use Taskman to end I have been unable to end with Dtaskmanager, taskill, ProcessExplorer, taskiller and even APT.

Is there ANY other way?
I really hate having to force my laptop to restart.

garbanzo

#9 Post by garbanzo »

m^(2) thanks for the recommendation - APT looks like a great tool to have around. i'll be keeping that on in my archive for sure.

portackager now that's what i'm talking about :) i can live with a few registry entries for that app, it can even restart all the processes i ended after i'm done playing. perfect!

may thanks to you both

m^(2)

#10 Post by m^(2) »

Local wrote:
Has anybody come across an app, preferably stealth, that can do this job better than APT?

There are very few processes that I cannot use Taskman to end I have been unable to end with Dtaskmanager, taskill, ProcessExplorer, taskiller and even APT.

Is there ANY other way?
I really hate having to force my laptop to restart.
Better than APT?
Well, maybe some very dirty kernel hack could manually modify system structures, but I don't think that such tool exists.
How often do you meet such processes? I've seen 2 or 3 and that was with the old 12k+2c method apt version.

Baas

#11 Post by Baas »

Task Killer is freeware, portable and stealth.
This process manager allows you to quickly terminate applications, processes, windows, to start/stop Windows services and etc.
Download and uniextract. You'd need TaskKiller.exe, tkunloader.exe and taskkiller.ini to run it (and maybe taskkiller help file too :D ).

Features overview:
  • Very fast and neat way to unload ("kill") freezed ("hanged") applications (tasks), processes or services. Shows tasks, windows and(or) services in popup menu.
    "Smart Kill" mode - is more safe mode to kill program than standard windows Task Manager.
    Applications memory usage control.
    Flexible settings.
    Global hotkeys.
    User firendly interface.
    Very low process usage and memory usage.
Moderator note: the website Baas was linking to has died and there's a ad page in its place. Tucows is hosting a mirror: http://www.tucows.com/preview/516579.

Baas

#12 Post by Baas »

CloseMany
Closes multiple programs or services at once.

Features:
- Close, Kill or Restart processes.
- Start, Stop or Restart services.
- Select multiple lines by Click-Drag or Ctrl-Click or Shift-Click
Download

It's a single .exe file (a compiled ahk script).

Local

#13 Post by Local »

Thanks for the reply m^(2).

There haven't been that many, probably less than ten, but as I said everything else can be killed via Taskman.

I remember some of the progs were running sandboxed and I couldn't terminate from sandbox control either.
I have version 4 of APT an d have always been surprised that after all else even the crash didn't work.

It's a shame I have no idea how to recreate the hangs to test more isn't it?
:P

m^(2)

#14 Post by m^(2) »

Local wrote:Thanks for the reply m^(2).

There haven't been that many, probably less than ten, but as I said everything else can be killed via Taskman.

I remember some of the progs were running sandboxed and I couldn't terminate from sandbox control either.
I have version 4 of APT an d have always been surprised that after all else even the crash didn't work.

It's a shame I have no idea how to recreate the hangs to test more isn't it?
:P
Yes, in these cases I also wonder what the hell happened that the process is locked that hard. BTW if it was known...imagine crapware that cannot be killed and requires you to restart computer. For home users it's not a problem, but server downtime can cost a lot. MS would have to do something with the problem. :D

Cornflower

#15 Post by Cornflower »

On EndItAll:

Correct me if I am wrong, but my reading of the EndItAll License Agreement, and further observation of the PCMag site is that it cannot be distributed, true, but it does not say that the end user cannot download it and use it freely, if they download it from the PCMag site, not from elsewhere.

Speaking only from a licensing point of view, and not portability, it is possible, in my opinion, to have a portable, freeware, PCMag app listed on TPFC, as long as any urls, links, etc., point to the PCMag site, and not to 3rd party sites.

That said, I would personally vote against listing it here because the PCMag site requires paid subscription to its site, which effectively makes it payware, and not because of its non-redistribution clause.