Portable VirtualBox [VB launcher utility]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
alanbcohen

Re: "Create New Virtual Disk" error

#106 Post by alanbcohen »

cocotteman wrote:Hi,

I've installed your version of Portable VirtualBox. But, when I want to create a new virtual box and to resize the image from 2GB to 3GB, I always obtain the same message : "the memory could not be read"...

Could anyone help me ?

Thanks a lot.
How much RAM do you have on the host machine?

cocotteman

#107 Post by cocotteman »

I've tried to launch VirtualBox on 2 PC :
- one with 1GB of RAM
- and the other with 2GB of RAM

I don't know if it's about the RAM : the error is when I create a virtual disk => I don't launch any virtual machine for the moment...

alanbcohen

#108 Post by alanbcohen »

You can't resize an image larger than the memory you have available. That is true of the portable version and the installed (original) version.

m^(2)

#109 Post by m^(2) »

I have a news.
I've been waiting with this as I wanted to tell it while releasing a patch for castman's issues, but he didn't reply to my PM with a test version (castman, if you read it, YGPM :P), so I'm not releasing it now.
The news:
I have 7zip support mostly implemented and it proved itself to be a good idea, but I decided not to release it. Why? 7zip is simply not good enough - it's compression ratio is rather nice, but decompression too slow, after some tests I estimate that good ol' zip would be better. And I would do it with zip (actually 7zip supports zips, so I have it almost done ;)), but there are 2 better alternatives coming. FreeArc and NanoZip, both have working versions that perform significantly better than (7)zip and have stable releases scheduled in a few months. I think I'll wait.
EDIT: 2 typos
Last edited by m^(2) on Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

willamydias

Re: "Create New Virtual Disk" error

#110 Post by willamydias »

cocotteman wrote:Hi,

I've installed your version of Portable VirtualBox. But, when I want to create a new virtual box and to resize the image from 2GB to 3GB, I always obtain the same message : "the memory could not be read"...

Could anyone help me ?

Thanks a lot.
Hi,

I had similar problem when I was using FAT32, since the partition has no support for files larger than 4Gb.
The solution was to convert the partition to NTFS.

I hope it helped.

--> Excuse me for translation into English.
Credits Google]

------------------------------- Mensagem Original
Oi,

Tive problema parecido quando estava usando FAT32, pois a partição não tem suporte para arquivos maiores que 4Gb.
A solução foi converter a partição para NTFS.

Espero que tenha ajudado.

--> Desculpe-me pela tradução para inglês.
Créditos do Google]

castman

Hello m^(2)!!

#111 Post by castman »

I visit this site more often than Google but my account, Don't.

I think it is a error of mine since I was contributing with somethings here. Sorry.

However, you did not tell me for which version of VirtualBox does your launcher test version was build.

1.6.4? 1.6.6? 2.0.0?

Just tell me the version and I will be testing it soon.

I am using your 2.0 launcher with VBox 1.6.4 just like I told you (I didn't update it again yet).

m^(2)

Re: Hello m^(2)!!

#112 Post by m^(2) »

castman wrote:I visit this site more often than Google but my account, Don't.

I think it is a error of mine since I was contributing with somethings here. Sorry.

However, you did not tell me for which version of VirtualBox does your launcher test version was build.

1.6.4? 1.6.6? 2.0.0?

Just tell me the version and I will be testing it soon.

I am using your 2.0 launcher with VBox 1.6.4 just like I told you (I didn't update it again yet).
VirtualBox version - the later the better, the launcher is compatible with all new ones, but it's not crucial here.

castman

#113 Post by castman »

Sorry, I tested your launcher with the VBox 1.6.4 and didn't work.

The Error Message is still the same: "Could not find host interface networking driver"

=/

m^(2)

#114 Post by m^(2) »

castman wrote:Sorry, I tested your launcher with the VBox 1.6.4 and didn't work.

The Error Message is still the same: "Could not find host interface networking driver"

=/
Thank you for testing, I think I have to ask on VirtualBox forum, maybe they'll figure out what's wrong.

castman

Updating

#115 Post by castman »

I am updating to the last stable version because I need to format my Win XP guest machine.

Just informing you (m^(2)).

castman

m(2)?

#116 Post by castman »

:) Hehe, I even wasn't waiting for that.

But finally they released support to Windows XP 64 bits. I don't know if they added for multiple processors...

http://www.virtualbox.org/ - VirtualBox 2.0.2

Hey, are you still developing Portable VirtualBox? 'Cause I never said that a have a similar driver networking issue with PortableVirtualPC from Lokocobra.

It must be the reason that my OS is Portuguese Brazilian (PTB/PTBR). Or maybe because you didn't test in a XP X86 SP3 environment.

Edit: I will finally install Virtual Box when they release its version 2.1. :P

m^(2)

#117 Post by m^(2) »

The development process is temporarily stopped because VirtualBox doesn't work on my current PC. I'll have to investigate, but it requires a lot of time.

castman

#118 Post by castman »

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=12333

This topic describes how to enable Host Interface under XP/Vista. The problem is I can't enable because doesn't shows this option 'VirtualBox Host Interface Networking Driver' under LAN properties when I launch the launcher of nLite for VirtualBox 2.1, which I am currently using.

I already tested multiprocessor feature which showed it's not yet implemented. I think I will install VirtualBox that is becoming better than any virtualization solution.

castman

#119 Post by castman »

Well, I discovered after studying a long time how to enable this. I only had to go to Network Connections - Adapter Properties - Install - Service - With Disc - .inf VBoxNetFlt - OK - OK.

Although the MSDN documentation mentions %1% and %-1% variables, I found by many tests that is no such thing like a portable .inf driver for kernel drivers (Unfortunatly).

However if you study such things carefully, you can do a total cleanup.

And to get things worse, I did not find another way to do this by Run As (if you do RunAs to any Explorer's window, it does garbage inside the registry).

If someones knows another way to install the .inf file (Rundll32 rejects registering the .inf file) let me know.

The last thing left to me try is through registry, however is hard to syncronyse Registry with Explorer.

m^(2)

#120 Post by m^(2) »

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa376957.aspx
RUNDLL32.EXE SETUPAPI.DLL,InstallHinfSection <section><mode><path>