Portable VirtualBox [VB launcher utility]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
akademie

#76 Post by akademie »

compressing to CD/ decompressing to HDD > maybe, because reading off the CD/DVD is very slow.

Also I am not sure what happens in following scenario:
I will start VBox off the CD (with 4GB Data folder let's say) - that's about 15 minutes of "copying" prior application will actually run. But during first 3 minutes I decide that I have to leave and don't want Vbox to start - so there is no CANCEL option right now, only way I see is to open CD tray :-( But what will happen then? Data will remain in temp folder unfinished... vbox partialy installed and terminated / not properly uninstalled ???

I have to go now

Bye
akademie

m^(2)

#77 Post by m^(2) »

I thought about this case, but it's hard to make it right. Simply, Windows doesn't let me interrupt the copy process, doesn't show percentage indicator, nothing. However, if you remove the CD, files should be deleted.

gil2006

#78 Post by gil2006 »

Hi m^(2),

I have a question for you. Is there anyway to run Portable VirtualBox without admin rights and without having it installed on your computer? I am trying to use it so that I can install Linux for school and use it on the go, but I don't have admin rights on some of the computers that I use. If Portable VB won't work, what are some ways that I can get this to work? Thanks!

m^(2)

#79 Post by m^(2) »

gil2006 wrote:Hi m^(2),

I have a question for you. Is there anyway to run Portable VirtualBox without admin rights and without having it installed on your computer? I am trying to use it so that I can install Linux for school and use it on the go, but I don't have admin rights on some of the computers that I use. If Portable VB won't work, what are some ways that I can get this to work? Thanks!
Already answered here.

castman

#80 Post by castman »

m^(2)!!

I was looking for a solution to put OpenGL inside Windows guest VirtualBox virtual machine.

I found this link
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/475

What I want is a way of copying the source code from the "SVN tree" w/o copying the line numbers.

And more clear instructions in how to compile the solution...
Last edited by castman on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zikarus

#81 Post by zikarus »

Not really though since one may also use without admin rights - if I remember right -:

http://www.mokafive.com/index.php

m^(2)

#82 Post by m^(2) »

castman wrote:m^(2)!!

I was looking for a solution to put OpenGL inside Windows guest VirtualBox virtual machine.

I found this link
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/475

What I want is a way of copying the source code from the "SVN tree" w/o copying the lines.

And more clear instructions in how to compile the solution...
Sorry, it's too technical for me. Head to VirtualBox forum.
zikarus wrote:Not really though since one may also use without admin rights - if I remember right -:

http://www.mokafive.com/index.php
Moka5 is just an automatic installer for VMWare. I'm almost sure it requires admin rights.

castman

#83 Post by castman »

m^(2)!

I want to know if there is a way of slowdown the machine emulation.

Maybe I can give low priority through a shortcut?

If your launcher apply this for VirtualBox's application it would solve high cpu usage in old OS's

Edit: Well, I've read your last readme and I can say that is something still missing.

Read about this 'cause it might help to implement
http://www.msfn.org/board/Help-Low-Prio ... 66888.html

m^(2)

#84 Post by m^(2) »

Low priority won't slow execution unless there's a process with higher priority that takes all CPU power it can get.
I don't know how about Windows prior to 95 / NT1, but for Dos emulation you can use DosBox.

castman

Well

#85 Post by castman »

It's exactly for Windows 9x I was searching a solution.

Executing DosIdle solves the problem for Win 3.1.x and FreeDos but doesn't solve for Windows 9x

I was thinking that putting the emulation process in low priority, could help. Even so, now you said It doesn't solve :( .

m^(2)

Re: Well

#86 Post by m^(2) »

castman wrote:It's exactly for Windows 9x I was searching a solution.

Executing DosIdle solves the problem for Win 3.1.x and FreeDos but doesn't solve for Windows 9x

I was thinking that putting the emulation process in low priority, could help. Even so, now you said It doesn't solve :( .
Windows 9x works too fast??
That's very strange as it adjusts it's speed to the clock - not to CPU ticks, just like all modern OSes do.
Did you try to run newer Windows or Linux? If it's an issue with 9x, it should be with others too.

castman

Well

#87 Post by castman »

The problem is not the speed itself but the 100% cpu usage even when Windows 9x is idle.

It makes the virtual installation painsome until you get in the Windows interface and put a program like Amnhltm or Rain to work (for processing the HLT function).

Windows 9x doesn't process the HLT function then it doesn't get well when Virtual Machine emulated.

m^(2)

#88 Post by m^(2) »

Yes, that's a known issue.
Sadly, you can't do much about it, the tools you mentioned are probably the best solution.
The launcher passes own priority to VBox unless it's higher than normal.

castman

#89 Post by castman »

I think the only real solution to avoid the installation problem is using a program to slowdown the VirtualBox's process.

I found this link.
http://www.hwdot.com/slower-freeware-sl ... ing-games/

I am going to try this solution.

m^(2)

#90 Post by m^(2) »

castman wrote:I think the only real solution to avoid the installation problem is using a program to slowdown the VirtualBox's process.

I found this link.
http://www.hwdot.com/slower-freeware-sl ... ing-games/

I am going to try this solution.
Sounds nice. :)