Portable VirtualBox [VB launcher utility]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
castman

#121 Post by castman »

:D I finally discovered a way to do it (these values do syncronise).

I just have to save these values before I install anything

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GroupOrderList

Value Name: PNP_TDI

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network

Value Name: Config

I just have to execute the original to remove and execute the modified to install it. I could even do a portable wrapper now, but I will take a rest.

I say this because I really follow the Unix Rule of not using an Administrator account for normal-day-work. I didn't format my PC for months (no viruses).

portackager

#122 Post by portackager »

I just became interested in emulators again with the release of Windows 7 Beta :P

@m^2, Unfortunately the website that hosts your launcher says "404 Not Found". I hope you get the issues with your computer fixed.

m^(2)

#123 Post by m^(2) »

Thanks for the report. I've lost the account on this server, I have like 100 links to fix over the web and this is one of many forgotten.

I'll upload it somewhere and fix the link.

yogg1

Re: m^2's Portable VirtualBox

#124 Post by yogg1 »

Hi

I have searched how to get VirtualBox Portable and found the starter from "michaelm_007" and "m^(2)" Here and in the nlite Forum. Sadly the thread is now in the archive and seems to be dead (nlite Forum).

The latest Versions of the Starter i have found here: http://www.vbox.me/
Is there maybe also an new address for discussion about the Starter?

I have 2 questions:
Under which license does the starter run? Is it open source, can i use it where i would? Also commercial (haven't found anything about this in the readme)?
What have i to do to get the starter working with my self compiled VirtualBox Version? I can't use the normal downloadable VB version.

yogg

mickey159

#125 Post by mickey159 »

I used the au3 script mentioned in page 1 or 2
but there is an error

Failed to create the virtualbox com object
Details:
Callee RC: REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG (0x80040154)

I use vbox 3.2.0
please find something to solve the problem thanks

guinness

#126 Post by guinness »

Have a look here http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/downloads.html; au3 source included.

Midas

Re: Portable VirtualBox [VB launcher utility]

#127 Post by Midas »

Old topic update: Vbox.me Portable VirtualBox last release is v6.4.10 (changelog at www.vbox.me/changelog/); while development has stopped, source code is still hosted at github.com/vboxme/Portable-VirtualBox.

Note that this release was initially meant for portabilizing VirtualBox v5.1.22, released 2017-04-22 (www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog-5.1#v22; download at download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.1.22/) and compatibility with later versions is unknown.

rbon

#128 Post by rbon »

Midas wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:27 pm Old topic update: Vbox.me Portable VirtualBox last release is v6.4.10 (changelog at www.vbox.me/changelog/); while development has stopped, source code is still hosted at github.com/vboxme/Portable-VirtualBox.

Note that this release was initially meant for portabilizing VirtualBox v5.1.22, released 2017-04-22 (www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog-5.1#v22; download at download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.1.22/) and compatibility with later versions is unknown.
VirtualBox Portable 6.1.18-142142 64 bit Multilingual of January 20, 2021:
Online installer (and setup extractor) from PortableAppZ (Online installer in PAF format).

Links and other:
• VirtualBox Portable 6.1.18-142142 64 bit Multilingual: https://portableappz.blogspot.com/2017/ ... amd64.html
• Download Portable VirtualBox 64 bit Online (UploadEE): https://www.upload.ee/files/10834921/Vi ... e.exe.html
• press Download! for obtain the file
• Download Portable VirtualBox 6.0.14-133895 32-64 bit Multilingual (UploadEE): https://www.upload.ee/files/6764398/Vir ... e.exe.html
• press Download! for obtain the file

Online installer is also setup extractor if you download:
• VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-Win.exe: http://dlc-cdn.sun.com/virtualbox/6.1.1 ... 42-Win.exe
• Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.18-142142.vbox-extpack: http://dlc-cdn.sun.com/virtualbox/6.1.1 ... ox-extpack
--> put these builds near the online installer.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

Midas

#129 Post by Midas »

@rbon: I downloaded the VirtualBox Portable version you posted and when I ran it I was greeted by a long departed friend:

I'm not particularly worried but that's not something I'd lightheartedly advise. Here's the Virustotal report:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/756 ... /detection

rbon

#130 Post by rbon »

Midas wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:31 pm @rbon: I downloaded the VirtualBox Portable version you posted and when I ran it I was greeted by a long departed friend:
I'm not particularly worried but that's not something I'd lightheartedly advise. Here's the Virustotal report:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/756 ... /detection
@Midas, thanks for this info.
This is very strange.

In program page https://portableappz.blogspot.com/2017/ ... amd64.html there are these tips:
23/1/16 21:23
Robert yang said...
sorry, it works now!!

I don't know which is causing problem.. but here is what I did

1. disable anti-virus software
2. run VirtualBox_Portable_5.0.x_32-64_Multilingual_Online.exe as administrator
3. install to a new folder instead of replacing the current folder which has all the settings already.

thanks!
and
23/1/16 21:53
Anonymous said...
ROBERT YANG,

Congratulations, man.
I did as you said (uninstalled the virtualbox connection on the control panel) and then deactivated the kaspersky and installed again without network connections.

Guess it????????
Everything is OK!

thaaaaaank UUUUU maan!
and Bernat (maintainer site) writeS:
3/10/15 13:33
Bernat said...
I have many versions of Windows in choice (host: Windows 10 x64).
and
22/10/15 12:40
Bernat said...
Tested working on Windows 10 x64.
I use it daily.
I can't do more.
In short:
If you have any doubts about the online installer, scan it before launching the installation.

By The Way
I personally wouldn't trust Windows Defender much. Try a serious antivirus like Kaspersky or ESET NOD32.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

Midas

#131 Post by Midas »

Thanks for the info, it's good to see I'm not the only one facing this.

I'm on Windows 7 x54 SP1 and apart from the embedded Windows Defender -- which is very lenient with my frequent testing of software, by the way -- I haven't run a resident anti-virus in years (at least since 2013...).

I have both ClamWin and EEK with the latest definitions for the occasional on demand need and you can't really beat VirusTotal for coverage breadth.

Like I said, I'm not personally worried, but I also don't think we should be advising our users to nuke AV protection in order to run any portables.

rbon

#132 Post by rbon »

@Midas,
the online installer with name 'VirtualBox_Portable_6.1.x_64-bit_Multilingual_Online.exe' is a PAF executable.
You can easy extract it with PeaExtractor (or 7zip) and You obtains a folder with name 'VirtualBox_Portable_6.1.x_64-bit_Multilingual_Online' with this content:

Code: Select all

C:.
|   VirtualBoxPortable.exe
|   
+---$PLUGINSDIR
|       Dialer.dll
|       FindProcDLL.dll
|       INetC.dll
|       InstallOptions.dll
|       ioSpecial.ini
|       modern-wizard.bmp
|       nsDialogs.dll
|       nsExec.dll
|       System.dll
|       w7tbp.dll
|       
+---$TEMP
|   \---VirtualBoxPortableTemp
|           7za.exe
|           Test.msi
|           
+---App
|   \---DefaultData
|       \---VirtualBox
|               VirtualBox.xml
|               
\---Other
    +---Source
    |       VirtualBox.ico
    |       VirtualBox.xml
    |       _VirtualBoxPortable.nsi
    |       _VirtualBoxPortableInstaller.nsi
    |       
    \---_Include
            Installer.bmp
            Installer.nsh
            Launcher.nsh
            Splash.bmp
where:
• VirtualBoxPortable.exe - is the launcher already compiled
• $PLUGINSDIR - can be deleted
• $TEMP - can be deleted
• Other\Source - contains the sources for launch VirtualBox Portable
• Other\Include - contains the sources used by VirtualBox Launcher.

You can open these sources with Notepad++ and look inside (they are written using NSIS, the scripting language used by PortableApps).
So you can see what this 'VirtualBox Launcher' does.

Andrew Lee

#133 Post by Andrew Lee »

Midas wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:00 am I'm on Windows 7 x54 SP1 and apart from the embedded Windows Defender -- which is very lenient with my frequent testing of software, by the way -- I haven't run a resident anti-virus in years (at least since 2013...).
It's an open secret that antivirus software is hugely overrated but a great money spinner for the industry. It simply gives you a false sense of confidence.

Good software hygiene (not clicking on email attachments, only running executables from reputable sources, using VirusTotal and making your own judgement etc.) will help you 99.9% of the time. For the cutting edge 0.1% of malware, I doubt your run-of-the-mill antivirus software will detect anything at all.

I too have only had Windows Defender since god knows when. And I have had nothing but frustration with it. Sometimes it suddenly detects old software in my archive as malware when I am doing a backup. More than a few times, I have accidentally deleted stuff when I clicked on the wrong action. And if you turn it off, it will nag you that you have security issues. Hair-pulling stuff!

Midas

#134 Post by Midas »

WinPatrol, startup and on demand system and memory scans with ClamWin, and a fair knowledge of what's running by default in my machine (a prospect made infinitely harder by Windows 10) have been my main counter-measures.

As for MS Defender, one of the reasons the above positive really struck a chord is because it's been years since I last saw such a stern warning. But of course, I have tweaked it a little to avoid it bothering me with false positives.

Talking of which reminds me that Sordum.org Defender Injector is a valuable tool to quickly manage Defender exceptions: