RegFromApp - by Nirsoft

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
dennis123123

Re: RegFromApp Version 1.07

#16 Post by dennis123123 »

garbanzo wrote:now i can add RegFromApp to the context menu of .exe files. yay!
Can you provide the registry file needed to add this feature to windows? It would be very useful!

and thanks for the update!

garbanzo

#17 Post by garbanzo »

dennis123123 wrote:
garbanzo wrote:now i can add RegFromApp to the context menu of .exe files. yay!
Can you provide the registry file needed to add this feature to windows? It would be very useful!

sorry, i use Directory Opus which lets you customize the context menu of all filetypes. my method won't work in Explorer...

infimum

#18 Post by infimum »

dennis123123 wrote:Can you provide the registry file needed to add this feature to windows?
You can use this.

Code: Select all

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=490

ashghost

#19 Post by ashghost »

dennis123123 wrote: Can you provide the registry file needed to add this feature to windows? It would be very useful!

If you don't mind a .NET app, you can use Types (http://types.sourceforge.net/) to add entries to the explorer context menu. I just used it to add RegFromApp to the context menu for exe files, and this is the registry key it created.

EDIT: To make it easier, here's text to copy and paste to a .reg file (modifying my path to RegFromApp.exe as appropriate, of course):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\RegFromApp\command]
@=""F:\\Apps\\RegFromApp\\RegFromApp.exe" /RunProcess "%1" /StartImmediately 1"
Last edited by ashghost on Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

joby_toss

#20 Post by joby_toss »

This is nice!
Thanks!

ashghost

#21 Post by ashghost »

I took it one step further and I am VERY happy :D.
Sandboxie + RegFromApp is my favorite way to test portability (especially since I don't care about dependencies).

Here's the content of the registry file to add if you want a context menu item (created by Fast Explorer this time) to launch a program under RegFromApp inside a sandbox!!

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\SandboxRegFromApp (*)]
@="SandboxRegFromApp"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\SandboxRegFromApp (*)\command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Sandboxie\\Start.exe \"F:\\Apps\\RegFromApp\\RegFromApp.exe\" /RunProcess \"%1\" /StartImmediately 1"
If you want to use Fast Explorer (link posted by infimum above) to do it instead of creating a .reg file, your item should look like this:

Application: "C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe"
Parameters: "PATH\TO\REGFROMAPP\RegFromApp.exe" /RunProcess "%1" /StartImmediately 1
Testing for portability just got SO much simpler. If Nir Sofer took donations (I just scoured his site), he'd have just earned one from me. 8) :D

@infimum:
I tried Fast Explorer first (so many duplicate apps for the same purpose - I'm indecisive :D), but I couldn't see the obscure dropdown menu that allows you to select a single filetype instead of adding your item to all types. Now I see that it works, too.

garbanzo

#22 Post by garbanzo »

great idea, ashghost! that does indeed speed things up.

yes, this little change made regfromapp much quicker and easier to use!

garbanzo

#23 Post by garbanzo »

is anyone else having problems with this new version and its command line option? i've been using the .reg file posted above, and about half the apps i send to regfromapp through sandboxie crash, but if i open them manually from a sandboxed regfromapp, they work OK...

ashghost

#24 Post by ashghost »

I've tested 5 or 6 apps so far and none crashed, though I have run across some apps that won't run under Sandboxie no matter what method I use to launch them.

I have no experience with the registry, so I don't understand why, for instance, Types made only one entry but Fast Explorer made two (and the first seems superfluous). There also seems to be an extra backslash in the key created by Fast Explorer:

@="C:\\Program Files\\Sandboxie\\Start.exe \"F:\\Apps...

Perhaps you should try deleting those keys and using one of the aforementioned apps to make your own?

What happens if you do it through the Windows Run box or CMD.exe? If that works, you'll know it's a problem with the registry entries.

garbanzo

#25 Post by garbanzo »

well i've tried it through a Directory Opus menu command and i get the same problems...

Ennovy

RegFromApp v1.10

#26 Post by Ennovy »

New version has been released.
This is the TPFC database entry: http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1433

Changes in version 1.10
# Version 1.10:
* New mode of RegFromApp - Display the original Registry values.
* RegFromApp now remembers that last settings of 'Start New Process'.
Download: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/regfromapp.zip

Ennovy

Regfromapp v1.15

#27 Post by Ennovy »

In the TPFC database is version 1.10:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/?q=regfromapp&m=Search
Versions History
================
* Version 1.15:
o RegFromApp now automatically stops when the process that you
inspect is terminated.
o RegFromApp now remembers that last sort in select process
dialog-box.
o Added new command-line option: /AttachProcess
o RegFromApp now allows you to automatically save to .reg file and
exit when the inspected process is terminated (/AutoSave in
command-line)

pajenn

How to use RegFromApp (with Sanboxie)

#28 Post by pajenn »

Context: I use the following command (launched from context menu) to "install" certain applications:

"C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" "C:\Program Files\RegFromApp\RegFromApp.exe" /RunProcess "%1" /AutoSave "C:\temp\modified.reg" "C:\temp\original.reg"
or I use "%FILEPATH1%" instead of "%1" when using FileMenu Tools to launch the command.

That works most of the time to capture the registry changes made by the installer, but not perfectly. First, RegFromApp closes as soon as the installer is done, but the installed program may want to run, and may add further registry changes upon running for the first time. Second, sometimes an installer launches another setup file, or multiple files, and I don't think RegFromApps catches those.

Question: Is there any way to use RegFromApp inside Sandbox, or otherwise, to capture all changes made by an installer and any processes it launches?

-.-

#29 Post by -.- »

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?Cont ... andboxDiff

use the tool sandboxie provides to see changes

pajenn

#30 Post by pajenn »

Thanks for the link.

Not sure if you would know the answer, but the instructions ask the user to copy two files into C:\Sandbox, and then do a few things to them. The problem is, once I've copied them to Sandbox, my access is denied. I was able to delete UserPath.bat.txt using Unlocker, then modify it before copying into Sandbox, but I still cannot run SandboxDiff.exe as long as it's in Sandbox. Any ideas?

Instructions:
1- Extract from 'SandboxDiff.rar' to folder "C:\Sandbox" the files:
'SandboxDiff.exe' and 'UserPath.bat.txt'.
2- Open 'UserPath.bat.txt'and inside it customizes only the path (RegHive path)
to something like: "C:\Sandbox\<YourUserName>\DefaultBox\RegHive".
3- Rename 'UserPath.bat.txt' to 'UserPath.bat'
4- Run 'SandboxDiff.exe' - not sandboxed.
Also, for the other file, InjectDll=C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\AntiDel\antidel.dll, where should I add that line under my sandboxie.ini (alternatives are under either [GlobalSettings], [DefaultBox] or [UserSettings_02A600DF])?