Portable .NET Framework

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
garbanzo

Portable .NET Framework

#1 Post by garbanzo »

um, wow!

why has this not been posted before? is it not legal? .NET is closed source so how can they do this? well whatever i am glad to have it.

this comes in the form of a launcher for .NET apps. up to 2.0 as far as i can tell. works fine with the ones i've tried so far. either browse for an executable for just drag'n'drop it.

it's BIG at 164 megs, and it takes a few extra seconds to launch the app, but if you need a .NET app to be portable, and you hate the bazillion registry entries and DLLs that come with it, then this is for you! or in my case, i have a few .NET apps that i would like to run on my PC but don't want to install .NET if i don't have to. so this will just sit on my external drive with the hundreds of other portables i have stored there, waiting for the few times a year when i need to bring them out!

didn't test for stealth...

Code: Select all

http://sourceforge.net/projects/portabledotnet/
now, if i could just find portable Java :)

Island Boy

Thanks, good to know.

#2 Post by Island Boy »

Thanks, good to know.

Queue

#3 Post by Queue »

It's a Thinstalled .NET framework (just right click the exe and check the version tab; has two Thinstall entries), so it's quite likely not legitimate, but it is cool. In my opinion, it just helps show why Thinstall has a $5000 pricetag; being able to virtualize the whole .NET framework is pretty powerful.

That said, I don't have any good means of testing the program for malware; the Thinstall extractor I have only works on really old versions of Thinstalled programs. There's a lot of room to hide something nefarious in a 170MB executable. I don't actually think there's anything harmful in it, just fair warning since it's tough to test.

Queue

garbanzo

#4 Post by garbanzo »

thinstalled? wow that is impressive. i suspected it wasn't quite legit...

i certainly hope it's malware free, i had not considered that. i'll run it sandboxed just in case!

freakazoid

#5 Post by freakazoid »

Queue, garbanzo:

any of you guys willing to re-upload it?
the sourceforge project seems to be dead.

abushcrafter

#6 Post by abushcrafter »

freakazoid

#7 Post by freakazoid »

thanks for replying, abushcrafter, but Java != .NET ;)

Portable Java might come in handy some time though!

[edit]
ahh... i see, you were replying to garbanzo's Portable Java request!
Last edited by freakazoid on Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-.-

#8 Post by -.- »

project been closed for a while, its kind of big, like 150+mb so cant upload :( at least i cant

garbanzo

#9 Post by garbanzo »

yes, it's 162mb unpacked. unfortunately my connection't steady enough to upload something that large, it would take me many hours, and my signal drops several times an hour. i could probably upload it at work, but i've already been warned about using too much bandwidth :(

this page here lists the author's email. perhaps you can contact him and see if it's still hosted anywhere.

Code: Select all

http://portabledotnet.wiki.sourceforge.net/

webfork

Re: Portable .NET Framework

#10 Post by webfork »

From this site: http://sourceforge.net/projects/portabledotnet/

"The project specified has been flagged as deleted."