Portable VirtualBox

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
gil2006

#31 Post by gil2006 »

No, there is not and probably never will be.
QEMU is your only choice.
Thanks for the help m^(2). Is QEMU just as good as VirtualBox? How about VMWare, is there anything out there that makes this work on a USB disk, or is it the same as VirtualBox?

m^(2)

#32 Post by m^(2) »

gil2006 wrote:
No, there is not and probably never will be.
QEMU is your only choice.
Thanks for the help m^(2). Is QEMU just as good as VirtualBox? How about VMWare, is there anything out there that makes this work on a USB disk, or is it the same as VirtualBox?
Is it good?
I thing that it's a matter of personal taste. For me it's not. But, as I said already, it's the only option for you.

gil2006

#33 Post by gil2006 »

Is it good?
I thing that it's a matter of personal taste. For me it's not. But, as I said already, it's the only option for you.
Thanks for the help m^(2). I greatly appreciate it!

gil2006

#34 Post by gil2006 »

I'm having a problem with QEMU. When I go to install Red Hat Linux off of CD into the virtual machine that I created, it has a problem reading the CD when it asks for the 2nd or 3rd CD. Is there any way to correct this problem when the CD installation covers more than one disk??? Thanks for the help!

m^(2)

#35 Post by m^(2) »

Sorry, I'm not a good source of information regarding QEMU, I have very low experience with it. Also, I can't tell a good place to ask.

castman

Well...About.Windows

#36 Post by castman »

QEmu and VirtualPC are the best for emulating Windows 3.11 and FreeDos
Windows 3.11 may crash at start in VirtualBox (at least mine did)

VirtualPC and VirtualBox are the best for emulating Windows 9x
Windows 9x in QEmu has sound issues with my hardware
Windows 98 SE still has shared folders support in VirtualPC

And finally VirtualBox is definetely the best for emulating Windows XP
Remember when using VirtualPC that still in version 2007 SP1, there's no USB for VM available

That's all I understood with my tests

alanbcohen

#37 Post by alanbcohen »

New release (1.64) of Virtual Box this morning.

castman

#38 Post by castman »

I will wait for the next after the next major release 'cause I am happier with version 1.6.0 and testing OS's is a hard work

lilleyt

#39 Post by lilleyt »

By the way, I found out the hard way that FAT32 has a 4GiB filesize limit. I don't know if VirtualBox has virtual disk splitting to keep files <4GB, but even so you may want to format a USB device to NTFS prior to installing an OS under VirtualBox.

www.ntfs.com has a tutorial on how to format USB devices to NTFS.

FYI.

Ted

castman

#40 Post by castman »

People please take a look from the penultimate launcher (3.0.6) from the michaelm_007 developer.

He has archieved the portable networking on VirtualBox using 2 executable files, one from each architecture, from the Win2k3 OS called snetcfg.

I decided to update to VirtualBox 2.1.4 due to the bug on NAT networking for Windows.

I am expecting to people give comments about this fantastic releases.

PS: I've already sended these files for checking to VirusTotal. None result pointed suspicion about the files.

Edit: There are two errors that people must correct to avoid bugs running the launcher.

1. @ProcessorArch is now @OSArch in AutoIt version 3.3.0

2. The script deletes four files created from the inf directory, oem97.inf, oem97.pnf, oem98.inf and oem98.pnf. The problem is that those numbers vary from machine to machine. Then you must take a look to the last number under your inf directory and modify those numbers to be the last numbers to the machine crescent sequence of numbers.

And you must take caution if your app folder is exactly an folder with the name app, because it won't load to the script anymore. You must add the number of bits of your VirtualBox version to the folder's name. Like is with app32 or app64.

castman

#41 Post by castman »

I updated to VirtualBox 2.2.2 and the latest launcher and I looked at the AutoIt script and I didn't found the 'oem' delete entries. Notice that the installer from VirtualBox homepage is harder than before to extract.

I tested then the launcher and looked at my inf directory. There wasn't any new oem files. Then I learned that snetcfg doesn't create any 'oem' files like it was supposed to.

Edit: There isn't a way to circumvent MSI checking for priviledges? Is annoying have to execute Universal Extractor from Admin Account each time I wish to extract the content of MSI files.

I Applied 3 policies From this guide: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 84527.aspx , and NOTHING.
Last edited by castman on Fri May 01, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

radarman36

#42 Post by radarman36 »

Portable Virtual Box exists, and it's made by German guys. They've made version for 32 and 64-bit computers...

You can download it here :
http://www.german-winlite.de/wbb/index. ... 9b54cb501c

mtirnanic

#43 Post by mtirnanic »

Thanx radarman36.

First one that I've come across that works on my machine.

polocanada

Re: Portable VirtualBox

#44 Post by polocanada »

Or you could try Moka5. It has a portable version. Windows7 machine is available for download from the website. http://www.mokafive.com/trial/lpcs.php

If you have problem running the portable version, when the player loads kill the mokausb process. Then it runs OK.

donald

Re: Portable VirtualBox

#45 Post by donald »

Re Moka5

does it save changes to the environment, including the desktop the files etc??

The operating systems, they are just moc enviroments right? no license?

The software is free to use?

I see on the site that it is for sale.

Contacting the site I also find that no provision to sell the software to individuals or groups with less than 100+ has been made Specifically No provision for private licenses.

So is this really free to use or is it trial software?