TTopRPG (.Net)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.

Should this .Net App be added to the database?

Yes!
33%
No!
67%

Total votes: 3

Firewrath

TTopRPG (.Net)

#1 Post by Firewrath »

Yes. Im semi-submitting a .Net app. The world is coming to and end. -_-
This program though has impressed me SO much that im willing to overlook the whole .Net thing though. :P

First, besides .Net, is it portable?
Yes.
eMail wrote: Firewrath:
Does TTop write anything outside whatever folder its run from or to the registry?

Pygon (Creator):
It does not. Registry use bothers me.
I can only agree with that statement, ^-^
and ya know me i had ...ideas for the program, :P

Anyways,....
I'll be lazy and let the Site tell you what it does:
Site: wrote: What is TTopRPG?
TTopRPG is a free virtual tabletop that can be used to play various RPG's online using a PC with XP or Vista (or a Mac running a Windows emulator - 2 button mouse HIGHLY recommended). I recently heard it also runs well on Windows 7.

I designed it around the minimal utilities I considered necessary to run an RPG game. It isn't yet in an officially released form, as I continue to tweak, rearrange and add new functions as I find them necessary. I primarily use it to run DnD 3.5 games. It can also run 4e games and supports most nWoD die rolls (although other aspects of the nWoD system are not supported). As of last estimation, it seems to have 50 or so users, some worldwide.

Requirements:
TTopRPG 2.0 runs using the .NET 3.5 framework and was developed using Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition. It's expected to run on Windows XP SP2 and Vista (no support for Windows 2000 at this time, even SP4). Currently, it uses GDI+ to render its images, but I'll be updating eventually to OpenGL or DirectX.
Direct Download
After unzipping the files to whatever folder you want to put them in, run "TTopLaunch.exe" and then hit "Check for Updates" to get the newest version of the program.
If it doesnt run, you might want to check the info in the download section of the site.
(I had no problem with it running at all, and i dont think anyone else will, but you never know)

Theres also a 'Getting Started' section on the site that will show you how to use the program.
And an Amazing Demo on Youtube that shows lighting effects.

...i think we can help improve on that '50 or so users' bit. :P

So, the BIG Question here:
Should this be added to the database?
Or, should it stay here in the forums?

Personally, im for adding it, it has impressed me that much, But i know such topics are touchy and i'll admit this is a niche app and that it doesnt do anything 'essential' for general PC users.

So Vote! Comment! Etc!
mebey even try out the app if you have a use for it,...
(and sorry for the randomness, tired and slightly hypher, :P)

webfork

Re: TTopRPG (.Net)

#2 Post by webfork »

Firewrath wrote: So, the BIG Question here:
Should this be added to the database?
Or, should it stay here in the forums?
I appreciate your enthusiasm for the project and I hope that whether or not it gets added to the database, you let the authors know how much you value their effort. Additionally, I am a former RPG player and I know first-hand how few options there are for effective software to help in the management of tedious game elements so I welcome programs like this. I would very much like to add it.

However, I recommend we make decisions about portability based not on the quality of an application, but in the capability to function reliably on public machines. At this time, there are many dotNET-based programs that I love that are not capable of this. As time goes by, accepting dotNET 2.0 will become more feasible as the XP market share continues to dive. However, the 3.5 dotNET libraries required by TTopRPG are only included by default with Windows 7 and are not available at all for Win2K (source).

Many programs that are dotNET 3.5 are already in the database and I do not advocate removing them. This site is run (mostly) democratically and users have seen fit to add dotNET apps. I just want to explain my position without becoming a wet blanket.

Alternately:
  • It would be possible to only list entries as functional in Windows 7, but I hesitate to contradict the official website's information about system requirements.
  • Encourage Microsoft to solve this issue by providing something similar to Portable Java.
Also: a more detailed discussion about dotNET and portability.

Firewrath

#3 Post by Firewrath »

webfork wrote: However, I recommend we make decisions about portability based not on the quality of an application, but in the capability to function reliably on public machines.
Many programs that are dotNET 3.5 are already in the database and I do not advocate removing them. This site is run (mostly) democratically and users have seen fit to add dotNET apps.
Yeah, such reasons are why i posted it here in the forum instead of submitting it, while i like the system here at TPFC, i didnt just want a couple of users voting it in,
i have major issue with .Net, and its not that i dont like .Net as a library, but i dont like anything that Locks you into using a program Only on computers that have it installed, its also 'required' space on my HD id rather not have taken up if i dont have to, but my biggest problem with it is that you cant compile your programs into self contained distributable packages, which is why i hope Qt starts catching on with more people.
webfork wrote: However, the 3.5 dotNET libraries required by TTopRPG are only included by default with Windows 7 and are not available at all for Win2K (source).
well, actually, i run TTop without problems and i only have .Net 3.0,
id be rather interested and see if someone with 2.0 can run the program,
webfork wrote: Encourage Microsoft to solve this issue by providing something similar to Portable Java.
Bwhahahah! ...yeah, that will happen, ;)

really though, such companys dont listen to people like 'us', specially when we're such a small part of their user-base And most of us are still on XP for ...reasons, :P
not to mention that Win7 actually runs some of its code from the .Net library, if i remember correctly, so its too deeply embedded in the system for Microsoft to have any reason to want to place it in a portable package anyways, plus, in 10years, most likely 80%-90% of all windows users will have Win7 or higher and wont need a portable version by then,

Anyways,...
After 100+ views i kind of wish people would comment on what they thought of the program already. Or if anyones used it or not interested or ...what, :P

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Firewrath wrote:... not to mention that Win7 actually runs some of its code from the .Net library, if i remember correctly, so its too deeply embedded in the system for Microsoft to have any reason to want to place it in a portable package anyways
I think this is the primary reason. Using WINE, non-Windows programs are capable of being run outside the Windows OS. This is one of my major issues with the whole language/framework. There are some projects that purport to make this work including Mono and WineTricks, but so far those aren't working.

dotNET talks about portability, but Microsoft has a vested interest in the software only running inside Windows.
Firewrath wrote:After 100+ views i kind of wish people would comment on what they thought of the program already. Or if anyones used it or not interested or ...what, :P
While there are millions and millions of people interested in RPGs in one format or another, its a much smaller group that is interested in table top stuff like this and even smaller that is interested in portability of those programs. I was however surprised that I couldn't find reviews on the web about the program.

Firewrath

#5 Post by Firewrath »

webfork wrote: I was however surprised that I couldn't find reviews on the web about the program.
well it seems to have only been out for around 2years, or at least thats how far back the News goes on the site, hence another reason posting it here, trying to get it out to a few more people,
and really, i only found it by accident, because someone referenced it on the Pathfinder forums,

everyone else wants to use one writen in java *shudder*
and for me, its GUI seems to be laggy and ...well, other reasons i dont care for it that i wont get into, but i have the same 'install' issue with Java as i do with .Net,

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

Firewrath wrote:everyone else wants to use one writen in java
It may be a reference to some type of cross-platform capability or to the relative success of the Java-based PCGen program. I really don't know.
Last edited by webfork on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (edit for clarity)