AnVir Task Manager Free (Freeware)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Island Boy

AnVir Task Manager Free (Freeware)

#1 Post by Island Boy »

Publisher's Description

Task Manager Free is freeware utility software that gives users a comprehensive set of tools to put them in full control of their computer. It gives you detailed information about every process that is running, and about applications running automatically on Windows startup including all hidden applications.

Advanced startup manager allows you to:
  • Get full list of applications running automatically on Windows startup including all hidden applications.
    Get all additional information about startup applications.
    Disable/enable, add/delete, edit startup entries.
    Stop or run once again startup application.

Startup guard allows you to:
    See alert when any new application adds itself to startup.
    Forbid some applications to be added to startup.
    See alert when Internet Explorer home page was changed.

Process manager allows you to:
    Get full information about all processes: CPU and memory usage, executable name with full path, priority, work time, user name.
    Get executable file properties, icon and version information.
    Stop many processes with one click.
    Change process priorities.

Tray icons allows you to:
    Get current information about CPU usage including list of most active programs.
    Get current information about HDD usage. Protection against viruses includes:
    Detection and destruction of most propagated viruses.
    Virus database update.
    Minimum usage of system resources.
Minimum Requirements:
Intel Pentium 3 500MHz or Equivalent processor
128 MB RAM
1 MB free hard disk space
Graphics mode 800x600
Microsoft Windows 98 / ME / 2000 / XP / 2003 / Vista
Internet Explorer 6.0

Perform following steps to run AnVir Software program as portable application:
  • 1. Install the software.
    2. Copy AnVir.exe and VirusTotalUpload.exe (optional) to the destination folder.
    3. Create anvir.ini in the destination folder. If file anvir.ini is found in the folder of executable, all setting will be stored to this file instead of registry.
    4. Copy all files from "c:\Documents and Settings\{user name}\Local Settings\Application Data\AnVir" to the destination folder. If file startup.dat is found in the folder of executable, all extended setting will be stored to this folder instead of "Local Settings" folder.
http://www.anvir.com/
http://www.anvir.com/taskfree.exe

GeddichNixan

#2 Post by GeddichNixan »

It looked nice to me at the first sight BUT:

Why does it phone home each time I start it?
Why does it stores paths to installed (and portable too) applications on my computer in the "lnkcash.dat" file?

The prog is deleted from my machine and won't be reinstalled til I get some very satisfactory answers to those two questions.

Geddich

GeddichNixan

#3 Post by GeddichNixan »

BTW it calls 199.7.54.190 (Verisign Inc.). For what reason? Well, I don't care any longer 'cause the prog won't get any chance to do so from my computer.

Island Boy

AnVir Task Manager Free totaly rocks!!

#4 Post by Island Boy »

"AnVir Task Manager Free" totaly rocks!! (IMO)
I use it at least once a week.

I think "phone home" to look updates. (They seem amout 1 a month)
Use a firewall.

It keeps note of applications running automatically on Windows startup
so, whem you run "AnVir Task Manager Free" again (a week or a month later), it crys 'bloody murder' if it finds a new app applications running automatically on Windows startup.
("AnVir Task Manager Free" is an anitmalware program)
I think thats why it "stores paths to applications in the "lnkcash.dat" file.

While I nolonger know if it shoud be listed at portablefreeware.com
I DON'T CARE!
It's small, simple, powerfull & pretty. I like it.

GeddichNixan

#5 Post by GeddichNixan »

It seems to be a very nice software and I liked it very much. As long as it only collects data of applications which run on startup it does what it should do, but in the "lnkcash.dat" there is not only a list of autorun apps but of ALL (or almost all) apps I have on my computer installed or as portables. I don't know what that should be.
In another file (signcash.dat) it collects data of apps with "Verisign" references and it calls Verisign Inc. or at least tries it at each startup. Not only after a few weeks, but EACH time I start it.
What I did was deleting the contents of the two files mentioned and put a write protection on them. Beside this I prohibited the prog to contact the internet. After that it worked fine but it took ages til it started completely. So I am not very sure if I really need that one, althogh it really seems to be an excellent piece of software, anyhow if you neglect it's strange behavior.
All in all if you like it and it fits your needs, just use it. It's your decision. I only wanted to inform others about my findings. What you do with this information or what others do with it is your or their business.

anvir

#6 Post by anvir »

Hello!
Developer of ATM here.

It the tray menu there is a list of last launched programs. When user starts a program from start menu ATM looks through *.lnk files in start menu folder and gets the name of the program. This information is cached into lnkcash.dat.

When we determine security risk level we suppose that files with signature (Verisign) is more relayable. So ATM gets signatures from running programs and saves cache in signcash.dat.

No of this information is sent to anywhere.
http://www.anvir.com

Island Boy

anvir, Thanks for shedding light on GeddichNixan concerns

#7 Post by Island Boy »

anvir, Thanks for shedding light on GeddichNixan (& my) concerns.[/b]

Island Boy

new portable zip file download

#8 Post by Island Boy »

new portable zip file download
No more setup steps, just unzip & run.
http://www.anvir.com/downloads/taskfree.zip

HOME http://www.anvir.com/
Download Page http://www.anvir.com/download.htm

Midas

Re: AnVir Task Manager Free (Freeware)

#9 Post by Midas »

Old topic update: AnVir Task Manager Free is a rather functional, comprehensive and well documented (check the website) process manager, which doubles as a malware contention tool, with some security functions reserved for the payware version -- a quick comparison chart between the free and paid version can be seen at http://www.anvir.com/task-manager-windows-startup.htm.

The portable download contains both the 32 and 64 bit task manager (including shell extensions), a 32 bit windows tweaker, and Virustotal uploader.

http://www.anvir.com/tutorial/ wrote:AnVir Task Manager controls everything running on the computer; it helps to enhance and accelerate Windows as well as remove viruses. [...] The startup window shows programs that run when Windows loads. AnVir Task Manager notifies the user when any program tries to add itself to Windows startup. The processes window replaces Windows Task Manager, providing full information on the running processes. The services window helps manage services. You can open the detailed information panel. Tweaker helps tweak Windows. AnVir Task Manager places icons that monitor the processor, disk, memory, network, and notebook battery in the system tray. It also adds useful commands to the standard window menu, which is accessible in each program by right clicking. For example, you can hide any window to the tray.

Download current AnVir Task Manager Free Portable version (v7.5.2.0) from http://www.anvir.com/download.htm.
Last edited by Midas on Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Island Boy

#10 Post by Island Boy »

Dito.

6 years from frist post & I still use it at least once a week.

smaragdus

#11 Post by smaragdus »

Although limited compared to the Pro version, AnVir Task Manager Free is a good program. Currently only the latest Beta (8.0.0 Beta 4) is available for download at the official web-site. The latest stable release (7.5.2) can be downloaded from Softpedia:
AnVir Task Manager Free
Portable AnVir Task Manager Free

__philippe

#12 Post by __philippe »

Ta smaragdus ! 8)

Just tested Anvir-8-Beta-4 (free portable version) under win XP. Seems to work fine.

I find the "DiskLoad" tab especially useful to pinpoint and monitor processes generating constant disk activity.

The streamlined beta package includes only 8 files as opposed to 15 in the stable 7.52 version.
Only AnVir.exe and VirusTotalUpload.exe have been updated in the beta.

Code: Select all

Path = taskfree-8-beta-4.zip
Type = zip
Physical Size = 1231523

Date      Time    Attr         Size   Compressed  Name
------------------- ----- ------------ ------------  ------------------------
2012-09-10 08:59:04 ....A         4245         1553  portable.txt
2013-09-30 13:45:42 ....A       172544        89556  VirusTotalUpload.exe
2013-01-30 16:32:24 ....A       107104        52227  AnvirHook75.dll
2013-01-30 16:32:24 ....A       126048        60015  AnvirHook75_64.dll
2016-01-25 12:17:50 ....A      2987248       956604  AnVir.exe
2013-01-30 16:32:24 ....A       146008        70359  anvir64.exe
2009-10-13 12:11:46 ....A           96           81  anvir.ini
2008-09-14 22:07:32 ....A            0            0  startup.dat
------------------- ----- ------------ ------------  ------------------------
                               3543293      1230395  8 files, 0 folders

__philippe

#13 Post by __philippe »

Anvir version 8.0 beta 4

Changelog
(from Anvir russian-language forum)
(posted by Anvir admin » January Mon 25, 2016 1:30 pm)

New:
• The memory icon in the system tray shows the paging file usage.
• Updated module CPU temperature monitoring and equipment.
• Updated database of startup programs.
• On the Startup page - a filter for the license to renew / disconnected elements.
• On the Services page - filter by running / not running services.
• When you run the program it is run with administrative privileges (without additional dialogue).
• With automatic removal program from startup or blocking the process Display a notification in the system tray.
• Explorer context menu on a separate tab Expanded startup.
• Display for hidden icons processes in tray
• Combination of Ctrl-Tab key to switch between the tabs
• By default, displays notification of all programs that have been added in all branches startup, except for codecs and shell extensions.

Bug Fixes:
• In some cases, the program (took) a long time to start up at startup.
• After loading Anvir sometimes did not appear in the system tray icon.
• Hanging program when a large disc was loaded.

tactictoe

#14 Post by tactictoe »

I downloaded the portable version and Anvir comes in two flavours (I thought):
Files after launch.png
Files after launch.png (8.54 KiB) Viewed 53601 times
I have a 64bits system but when trying to launch Anvir64.exe, even with administrator right: nothings is happening.
No problem whatsoever with Anvir.exe.
So I thought it might decide thru Anvir which version to launch?
And it is the case, both version are present in memory. Anvir64.exe is launched by Anvir itself after a couple of second delay (Detection of OS version).
Then I realized why Anvir64.exe is not unloading it's lil brother... The answer is inside the size of the executable.
Anvir.exe = 2918Kb
Anvir64.exe = 143Kb
It's a Mod, plugin or what ever you want to call it.
Weird.png
Please note the security risk of the software itself. :?

Also, why do I have some High risk security and it does not reflect into the detail if asked for it?
Huh.png
Huh.png (22.83 KiB) Viewed 53601 times
I did want so much to like it...
And also why at startup for the very first time it starts to put genuine software like classicshell I use to the quarantine? It did also include some genuine part of the operating system too WITHOUT ASKING? Did not have time neither to looks at a setting to disable this behavior. :evil:
If I did not have pay attention, here by luck, I probably would not have been able to restart my OS without trouble. So, it's a definitely NO for me until this is fixed. Especially the system rating part that declare a file rogue just like that even genuine, is this what triggered the quarantine bonanza paranoia? I pass on this one. I did want so much to like it, with what happened I just can't. But once again this is my humble opinion only.

Have all a nice day.
Last edited by tactictoe on Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

__philippe

#15 Post by __philippe »

@tactictoe
Are you actually running Anvir 8 beta 4 ?

Over here, under WinXP and Win7, Anvir-8-ß4 grants itself a generous 0% green security risk shield... :wink: