Defraggler

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
atao.m

Defraggler

#1 Post by atao.m »

Hello,
I'm a new user of the forum! Sorry for my poor english, I'm french...
I'v tried yesterday a new application not in the database yet...
Defraggler is a defrag tool from Piriform, the company that brought CCleaner and Recuva.
"Compact and portable":
"Defraggler was written in the same compact architecture as other Piriform products (CCleaner and Recuva). This results in a compact single EXE application, which can be copied to a thumbdrive and then used whenever you need it, without a complex installation process. The EXE itself is less than 1MB!"
It is a beta version, but after trying it I've seen incredible results! :D Very good, very fast.
I'd like to know if you have the same results please...

Ennovy

#2 Post by Ennovy »

Hi and welcome atao.m

Interesting post, thanks. :!: I use WinContig now. But I think defraggler has some more features and a nice interface.
Defraggler can analyse a drive or folder and then you can choose the files you want to defrag from the list or you choose all files. http://www.defraggler.com/screenshots/screenshot-2
That option is not available in WinContig. After analysing a folder you can defrag all files or quit.
I wait until defraggler is out of beta and then I try it. :wink: .

atao.m

#3 Post by atao.m »

Hi, thanks for your answer!
I use WinContig to, but now I have tested Defraggler I'm waiting for the final version! It seems this tool is very powerful! The results are better than with WinConti, according to me.
But there's some bugs... I will wait for the stable release before adding it to my Pstart... :cry:

carbonize

Defraggler

#4 Post by carbonize »

This is a new defrag program from the makers of CCleaner.
It differs from other defrag tools on the market, by enabling you to quickly and simply defrag the files you want to, without having to process the whole drive. Simply run it, select the file and defragment in seconds. No more struggling with the Windows defragmentation tool!
The download is a self-installing executable but you can open it with any decent compression program such as 7-Zip. Just extract the Defraggler executable and it will run.

Still prefer JKDefrag GUI though.

Fluffy

#5 Post by Fluffy »

I always thought that defragging an entire drive was pretty much the crux of the defragmentation exercise. I mean, who really gives a damn about the fragmentation of "Really good dick jokes.doc" ? It's not too terribly important to me that all 5 KB of that file are in a straight line, if you get my drift. I can somewhat see the usefulness of defragmenting data files for games, but it's still a better idea to just defragment the whole drive so everything's organized more efficiently.

Silly. But then again, I'm not really a "know it all" when it comes to computers so there may be some benefit I'm not seeing here.

[EDIT] The picture of a pear on the installation screens baffles me.

[EDIT AGAIN] Figured out the pear. Still don't like it. :P
Last edited by Fluffy on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

carbonize

#6 Post by carbonize »

Yeah it is a strange thing to offer. As I said I prefer JK Defrag GUI but some may like this program.

I do have to say though that apart from CCleaner there other programs are a bit pathetic when compared to the alternatives.

Fluffy

#7 Post by Fluffy »

carbonize wrote:Yeah it is a strange thing to offer. As I said I prefer JK Defrag GUI but some may like this program.

I do have to say though that apart from CCleaner there other programs are a bit pathetic when compared to the alternatives.
Actually I do like it. The interface is quite pleasant and not cluttered or nearly absent. I'm also playing around with defragmenting individual files (just got done defragging Rigel's 2.6 GB texture pack for Quake - yeah, it's that freakin' detailed and yeah, that's the original Quake I'm referring to) and I'm not quite sure what to think of it. Gimmick? Maybe, but hell, it does what it says it'll do.

And by the way, I'm a big fan of Recuva. Haven't had the need to use it much but again, the interface is just perfect and walks that thin line between too much and too little with great expertise. Shame that what few settings it has are stored in the registry, but I don't find that nearly enough reason to look for an alternative.

ohiozzz

Defraggler

#8 Post by ohiozzz »

Actually it will defrag the whole drive. Go to action in the top left hand corner select defrag drive than yes when it asks if your sure.

Fluffy

Re: Defraggler

#9 Post by Fluffy »

ohiozzz wrote:Actually it will defrag the whole drive. Go to action in the top left hand corner select defrag drive than yes when it asks if your sure.
Oh I know, I defragged my Windows partition with it. The point is that the program's selling point is being able to defrag individual files - a usefulness that seems a bit limited.

carbonize

#10 Post by carbonize »

I use Undelete Plus for my recovery (on the rare occasion I need it). I prefer JK Defrag over this due to it's Space Hogs sorting.

malikorx69

Defraggler 1.1.58 Beta

#11 Post by malikorx69 »

Change Log
- Added Verify drive feature
- Improved progress updating with large files
- Improved handling of Win2k system files
- Improved defragmentation algorithm
- Various stability fixes
- UI tweaks
- Minor bug fixes

Download it at http://www.defraggler.com/download