Diskovery (storage dashboard)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
lintalist

Diskovery (storage dashboard)

#1 Post by lintalist »

[Mod Note: the present topic about Diskovery was first created from posts previously at the Bvckup topic: viewtopic.php?t=16768]

Related so I'll post it here first Diskovery, https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/?topic=42491.0
apankrat wrote:... in short it's basically an app that enumerates all local drives and volumes, extracts all information it can about them and then renders it nicely in the UI. In particular, it shows drives' SMART counters, temperature and it also allows to look into RAID arrays and see their individual drives († though some conditions certainly apply, YMMV, etc.)

It started as a unit test runner for a SMART diagnostics module for a backup app, but then as I played with it I kept adding this and that and it sort of started to evolve into something useful in its own right. Fast forward laughably short 3 months of abandoned kids, neglected wife and alienated friends and here it is - a brand new pile of bits entering its beta.

I haven't shown it publicly anywhere else, so I'm interested in all and any opinions - from the general idea to the functionality to the UI design to what have you and then some.

webfork

Re: Bvckup - high speed "delta" sync

#2 Post by webfork »

lintalist wrote:Related so I'll post it here first Diskovery
I felt sure you meant to post this elsewhere until I saw:
It started as a unit test runner for a SMART diagnostics module for a backup app (bvckup2), but then as I played with it I kept adding this and that and it sort of started to evolve into something useful in its own right.
The website indicates that Diskovery might be portable:

"Requires no installation, just save and run." [ https://pipemetrics.com/diskovery/beta ]

vacherin

#3 Post by vacherin »

Hi guys,
webfork wrote: The website indicates that Diskovery might be portable.
It is fully portable indeed: "diskovery.exe -c X:\Data\Diskovery"

Alex

smaragdus

#4 Post by smaragdus »

@lintalist
Nice find, thanks.

@vacherin
No, Diskovery is not portable- it creates Diskovery folder in AppData (C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Diskovery), containing diskovery.log and settings.ini files. For me portable means that all data and settings are stored inside program folder, not outside it.

vacherin

#5 Post by vacherin »

@smaragdus - I'm not familiar with exact semantics of the term "portable", but while the app in fact defaults to %LocalAppData%\Diskovery for storing all its data, the folder can be trivially changed with a "-c" command line argument.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

vacherin wrote:@smaragdus - I'm not familiar with exact semantics of the term "portable", but while the app in fact defaults to %LocalAppData%\Diskovery for storing all its data, the folder can be trivially changed with a "-c" command line argument.
There isn't universal agreement on the term "portable" but, if you’re a fan of Agile development, I put together a use case that sort of explains the point of all this. Let me know if that's interesting or useful.

Specular

#7 Post by Specular »

vacherin wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:24 pm Hi guys,

It is fully portable indeed: "diskovery.exe -c X:\Data\Diskovery"

Alex
Can confirm that using the path argument stores the settings and logs in the application directory. Thanks.

However the program still by default sets an association for .diskovery files. This can be changed in the self-generated settings.ini after the fact by changing conf.misc.add_file_association to 0, although I haven't tried creating an INI before the initial launch with that option set to see if the program respects the pre-set value.

Either way liking the program :)

Midas

Re: Diskovery (storage dashboard)

#8 Post by Midas »

Topic update: Diskovery v0.9.10.0 Beta released 2020-04-06 (changelog at https://diskovery.io/changes).

Diskovery collects and displays the details of data storage facilities of the computer, including its physical drives, disk arrays, partitions, volumes and mount points.