Ultimate++ - application development framework

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Ultimate++ - application development framework

#1 Post by webfork »

I wasn't looking for an IDE but I was drawn to some of the features around text manipulation. The interface takes some getting used to but I like how the program insists on starting with an example project to push you in the deep end.

Steps:

1. Download 7z archive and extract using 7zip or similar program.
2. Launch theide.exe

Resources (megs): Download: 152, Disk Space: 863, RAM: 96

Claims portability. From the website's Windows installation notes:
Windows release is a simple archive .7z archive. Unpack to directory of your preference, then just run theide.exe. U++ does not write anything to registry or outside its directory. (https://www.ultimatepp.org/app$ide$inst ... en-us.html)
Status: Portable, writes to application folder. Stealth: Untested

License: BSD for main program, multiple different licenses for plugins.

Andrew Lee

Re: Ultimate++ - application development framework

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

This looks really interesting. If I ever start another GUI project, I will test this out.

Cross-platform UI frameworks are a real drag for simple projects. I guess that's why people are turning to Electron/JS with all its pitfalls.

Midas

Re: Ultimate++ - application development framework

#3 Post by Midas »

I gave it a quick look and came away under the impression U++ was mainly a C(++) IDE (clang is the biggest part of its rather large heft).

webfork wrote: I wasn't looking for an IDE but I was drawn to some of the features around text manipulation.
I totally concur -- if only some savvy insider would strip away the more programming oriented elements, I'm quite sure U++ could easily become a killer text processor/documentation manager.

Just look at all the related goodies in the documentation, namely its RTF implementation (amusingly dubbed Quixotic Text Format).

Here's some extra info for topic completeness:

Ultimate++ latest stable is v2020.2 (rev. 15260) released 2020-10-XX (changelog is at www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$Roadmap$en-us.html; source repo at github.com/ultimatepp/ultimatepp; downloads at upp.sf.net/).
U++ is a C++ cross-platform rapid application development framework focused on programmers productivity. It includes a set of libraries (GUI, SQL, etc.), and an integrated development environment.
Windows release is a simple archive .7z archive. Unpack to directory of your preference, then just run 'theide.exe'. U++ does not write anything to registry or outside its directory. The archive contains CLANG based Win32 toolchain and also SDL 2, OpenSSL, MySql and PostgreSQL client libraries. TheIDE will also setup Microsoft C++ compiler if it finds one. U++ minimum requirement is Windows 7 64 with latest patches for theide to run and Windows 7 64 or 32 with latest patches for compiled applications.