Tomboy-ng (notes manager with sync)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Midas

Tomboy-ng (notes manager with sync)

#1 Post by Midas »

Multi-platform FLOSS tomboy-ng (https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng; shouldn't be confused with upstream Tomboy, first mentioned by webfork at viewtopic.php?t=23270) proved to be a really lightweight (~7MB footprint for a couple of test notes) notes manager with some intriguing features as well as native portability.

Portability does require some tweaking but is sure to turn tomboy-ng into a self-contained, completely stealth Windows note taker with some interesting syncing capabilities (which I didn't test).

1. Download the installer from the wiki page noted below and (Uni)extract it.
2. Run 'tomboy-ng.exe' once with the "--config-dir=[PATH]" parameter (in my tests, the alternative "-c" syntax didn't work at all).
3. Close it ("Quit" from the start screen, "Menu | Quit" or CTRL+Q from any note).
4. Go into the PATH pointed in 2. and edit 'tomboy-ng.cfg' to set a relative path in "NotesPath=" (I used '..\Data\Notes').

Done. For my convenience, I turned this into the yaP launcher configuration copied below.

On related findings, the first line of a tomboy-ng note will be treated as the note title and although it can be freely edited to user discretion, in my brief testing I found no way to change the default to something a little less distracting; if you enable notes snapshots in the settings before completing the settings change and restarting the program, it's possible the snapshot will be saved to '%APPDATA%\tomboy-ng'; also if the "Don't show for normal startup" option is checked, I couldn't find a way to get the startup screen back, so be careful there; lastly, even if you close all windows, tomboy-ng will remain as a yellow icon in the system tray, from where you'll be able to access notes and other features with a click.

tomboy-ng is a note taking app that works and syncronises between Linux, Windows and MacOS. It will also Sync to Tomdroid on Android. It features a rich text markup, printing, spell check, backup and snapshot capability. Import and export (plain text, RFT, MarkDown). It has Tomboy's automatic linking between notes, searching abilities, NoteBooks and a similar interface. Importantly, tomboy-ng has little or in most cases no dependancies and so is an easy and lightweight install.
tomboy-ng is a rewrite of the much loved Tomboy Notes. It runs on Linux, Windows and MacOS. Is possibly file compatible with Tomdroid and GNote. [...] It will sync notes with other systems using Tomboy's File Sync model and to remote servers using sshfs.
From the included 'readme.txt'

Code: Select all

; configuration file for yaP v0.7.1.5 (http://yap.rolandtoth.hu/)
; application name: tomboy-ng
; version: v0.29
; website: https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng

[GENERAL]
application = App\tomboy-ng.exe
commandline = --config-dir="{YAPROOT}\Data"

; workdir = 

[BEFORE]
nowait = 1

Tomboy-ng latest Windows installer (currently v0.29) can be downloaded from https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng/wiki/Releases.

Midas

Re: Tomboy-ng (notes manager with sync)

#2 Post by Midas »

Tomboy-ng v0.31a released 2021-01-09 (release notes at github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng/wiki/Download_Release).

BTW, direct synch with Android devices appears to be in the works:
WARNING This page contains a quite raw version (ie 0.31c, updated 13th Jan) of tomboy-ng that can connect to an Android device running Tomdroid using just a USB cable. While you are welcome to download and test this version you must be aware that its quite experimental, you must have good backups and read the Tomdroid help note carefully.