VideoCacheView

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Checker

Re: VideoCacheView V1.52

#16 Post by Checker »

Emka wrote:I couldn't find such a statistic anywhere. Or, do you create it yourself?
It's not on TPFC. It's a simple checklist I do :wink:
guinness wrote:Checker tracks his/hers own updates!
It's his :lol:

guinness

#17 Post by guinness »

I kind of knew, but I did second guess myself since your avatar eye appears to be wearing makeup :P

SYSTEM

#18 Post by SYSTEM »

Checker wrote:I don't know the exact time period, but I think it's surely less than a month :wink:
It's about 10 days or so.
The period is exactly seven days.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... =12&t=7431
Andrew Lee wrote: This change restricts the rise of any database entry bubble to the top of the main page (and RSS feed) to once every seven days.
The time between the latest two updates of the VideoCacheView entry is six days, 21 hours and 55 minutes. ;)
guinness wrote:
Nice question
I said this before ... that limiting how often an application is shown in the DB can deter people from updating the DB, because most people like to show in some way or another that they are contributing to TPFC.
I do admit that updates of private entries are low priority for me.

IIRC, I have triggered the update frequency filter only once. I don't find the filter too strict.
guinness wrote: I also think it was a handful (only 1) which sparked the question of limiting the amount of updates per application.
That's not true. For example, in this poll 15 people wanted Andrew to do something to tackle the update frequency issue.
Checker wrote: Another "nice" question: "How many updates did this "only 1" person for TPFC this year" :?:
Sorry, I don't count my updates. I think that I alone have done few dozen updates this year.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

ashghost

#19 Post by ashghost »

guinness wrote:I also think it was a handful (only 1) which sparked the question of limiting the amount of updates per application.
Checker wrote:Another "nice" question: "How many updates did this "only 1" person for TPFC this year" :?:
SYSTEM wrote:That's not true. For example, in this poll 15 people wanted Andrew to do something to tackle the update frequency issue.
Checker and SYSTEM, I'm pretty sure guinness meant that it was one frequently updating app (PEStudio) that prompted the limitation, not that it was a single user.

guinness

#20 Post by guinness »

Yeh, I meant PE Studio but had completely forgotten the name since I hadn't seen many updates lately!

SYSTEM

#21 Post by SYSTEM »

guinness wrote:Yeh, I meant PE Studio but had completely forgotten the name since I hadn't seen many updates lately!
OK.

You're partially right. PeStudio is the application that was updated way too frequently when Andrew introduced the update frequency filter. However, KidSafe and NK2Edit were also used as examples.

guinness

#22 Post by guinness »

OK. I still would like to know has it made much difference having the filter in place?

I never believed that NirSoft or computerfreaker were updating their applications to grab the limelight. Like I would do if I add an update I want to get it into the public domain as soon as possible.

ashghost

#23 Post by ashghost »

guinness wrote:OK. I still would like to know has it made much difference having the filter in place?

I never believed that NirSoft or computerfreaker were updating their applications to grab the limelight. Like I would do if I add an update I want to get it into the public domain as soon as possible.
I never thought so, either. I suppose it's a transient problem - a developer has time to spare for a few days or weeks, and therefore churns update after update. At the time of those discussions, a few programs were coinciding with such a spurt of development. Maybe now that a couple of the biggest offenders have taken a breather (PEStudio was last updated over 3 months ago, and KidSafe hasn't been updated since October), the restriction could be lifted. On the other hand, as someone pointed out earlier, too frequent updates might be a sign of hurried releases, sloppy coding, or undeclared beta-testing.

As far as NK2Edit goes, I don't use it (or Outlook), so I haven't understood why that particular program of Nir Sofer's requires so much updating. I see now that the vast majority of changelog items are feature additions; perhaps requests for features keep trickling in, and Nir is focusing effort on filling those requests quickly?

guinness

#24 Post by guinness »

Plus, NK2Edit appears to be aimed at the business user so of course its a good stream of revenue!

Checker

#25 Post by Checker »

SYSTEM wrote:...I think that I alone have done few dozen updates this year.
That's for sure ... you are a busy bee, too :wink:
guinness wrote:...your avatar eye appears to be wearing makeup :P
My avatar may be, but not me :lol:

SYSTEM

#26 Post by SYSTEM »

ashghost wrote: Maybe now that a couple of the biggest offenders have taken a breather (PEStudio was last updated over 3 months ago, and KidSafe hasn't been updated since October), the restriction could be lifted.
There may have been more "big offenders" which we haven't noticed thanks to the filter. ;)

webfork

#27 Post by webfork »

Checker wrote:I did 441 version updates so far this year (according to my counter)
That's definitely something you should be proud of. A good chunk of what brings high search-engine rankings -- and to some extent the success of the site and portable freeware -- is frequent site updates.

For me, its motivating to work on the site when its constant update and change is so obvious.

vmars316

VideoCacheView 2.16 : how to run it ?

#28 Post by vmars316 »

Hello & Thanks ,
I downloaded VideoCacheView
and opened it up but I don't see
how to run it .
Does it have to be set up to run from .bat file ?
..vm

Checker

Re: VideoCacheView 2.16 : how to run it ?

#29 Post by Checker »

- Watch a video with your browser.
- Close :!: your browser.
- Launch VideoCacheView.exe

Now your browsers cache should be displayed :wink:

vmars316

Re: VideoCacheView 2.16 : how to run it ?

#30 Post by vmars316 »

Checker wrote:- Watch a video with your browser.
- Close :!: your browser.
- Launch VideoCacheView.exe
Now your browsers cache should be displayed :wink:
Thanks Checker ,
Pretty cool .
Didn't start working til I hit Refresh .

There are still 335 entries that I can't get rid of .
Anyone know why ?

The save to .html is pretty cool .

..vm