I have used several network monitors in the past (most of them were abandoned long ago). Years ago (in 2010) I discovered NetWorx and immediately it became my favourite bandwidth tool. Unfirtunately in 2106 it became a commercial program so I sought for alternatives. Later there came out a portable version of NetTraffic and I switched to it. NetTraffic is quite a nice program but it requires .NET which I don't like that much. A day ago I discovered a very promising program- TrafficMonitor (page in Chinese, English page) which tirned out to be a simple but nice program with small footprint on system resources. It seems that version 1.76 is the first release available in English so I will review it hoping that the developer may translate into English some of his other programs in the future.
FeaturesTrafficMonitor is a network monitoring suspension window software in Windows platform. It can display the current network speed, CPU and memory usage. It also support the functions of display in the taskbar, change skin and historical traffic statistics.
- Displays current network transfer speed, CPU and memory usage;
- Displays network connection details;
- Support for automatic or manual selection of network connections if there are multiple network adapters;
- Task bar integration;
- Tray control;
- Always on top;
- Customizable skins;
- Customizable tray icon;
- Historical traffic statistics;
- Project - GitHub (in Chinese)
- Project - GitHub (in English)
- Change Log
- Publisher - GitHub
Direct download links for TrafficMonitor version 1.76 (released on 2018-11-11):
TrafficMonitor version 1.76 - main window (static image):
TrafficMonitor version 1.76 - main window - more info (static image):
TrafficMonitor version 1.76 - options (animated image):
TrafficMonitor version 1.76 - tray control (static image):
TrafficMonitor version 1.76 - change skin (animated image):
TrafficMonitor version 1.76 - change tray icon (animated image):
TrafficMonitor version 1.76 - traffic statistics (animated image):
TrafficMonitor is set to run in portable mode by default. Data and settings are saved inside program folder (history_traffic.dat, config.ini, global_cfg.ini). To make it non-portable go to 'Options' - 'General Settings' and select 'Save to Appdata directory'. Then data and settings will be saved in AppData (C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\TrafficMonitor).
- Download the 7z archive (TrafficMonitor_V1.76.7z for Window Vista or later or TrafficMonitor_V1.76_.for.XP.7z for Windows XP);
- Extract the archive to a folder of your choice;
- Run the executable (TrafficMonitor.exe);
TrafficMonitor should work under Windows XP or higher.
TrafficMonitor is licensed under GNU General Public License v3.0.
- TrafficMonitor is written in C++.
- TrafficMonitor is slim- version 1.76- 1.63 MB compressed, 5.80 MB uncompressed.
- TrafficMonitor is light- under Windows 8 x64 it uses about 2.6 MB of RAM or less.
- Program control can be called from main window (if not disabled), from tray icon (if not disabled) and from task bar window (if not disabled).
- I find most of the skins unusable.
- I have tested TrafficMonitor for a couple of days and so far I have not encountered any problems- no errors, no crashes, no memory leaks.
A couple of programs with similar functionality:
File details for TrafficMonitor version 1.76 (released on 2018-11-11):
Windows Vista or later:
Name: TrafficMonitor 1.76.7z
File Size: 1717712 Byte(s) (1.64 MB)
Modified Date: 2018-11-11 09:27
Name: TrafficMonitor 1.76 XP.7z
File Size: 1714330 Byte(s) (1.63 MB)
Modified Date: 2018-11-11 09:27