I have used more than 20 torrent clients for Windows and so far I have not found one which totally meets my needs so I use different programs for different purposes. For mass seeding (1000+ torrents) I still prefer an ancient version of µTorrent which is as light as feather and very stable to boot, unfortunately newer version of the program cannot be an option for obvious reasons. qBittorrent has problems with seeding huge number of torrents and the portable mode it not implemented in a handy, user-friendly way, the developer seems hostile or at least indifferent to portability so I have given up hope to use the program in portable mode. Perhaps Tixati comes closest to being my favourite, it fulfills my requirements but it is not open source and on some private trackers dull administrators ban this client for no logical reasons so I cannot use ot on a regular basis. Other clients have different flaws, for example BiglyBT is heavy and requires the latest version of Java, the development of Deluge is very slow, Halite lacks essential features, PicoTorrent is buggy, while Transmission is the worst one I have ever used. So I continue testing torrent software. Some time ago I came upon another open source client- LIII BitTorrent Client, I tested it and although it is in early phase of development (the current version is labelled as pre-release) the program behaved decently being stable during my tests. When I first tested the program it was not portable (data and settings were saved in AppData) but I opened an issue, the developer responded positively and soon released the first portable version of the program so I am keeping my promise to review the LIII BitTorrent Client to The Portable Freeware community.
LIII BitTorrent Client is open source and cross platform torrent client which supports portable mode.
- Association with torrent files and magnet URLs;
- Drag&Drop for torrent files and magnet URLs;
- Pasting of magnet URLs;
- Limit number of downloads and bandwidth used;
- Set port automatically or manually;
- Tray control;
- Tray notifications;
- Project - GitHub
- Project - SourceForge
- Download - GitHub
- Download - SourceForge
- License - GitHub
- License - SourceForge
- Publisher - GitHub
- Publisher - SourceForge
Direct download links for LIII BitTorrent Client version 0.1.0.2 (released on 2018-11-10):
LIII BitTorrent Client version 0.1.0.2 - menu bar (animated image):
LIII BitTorrent Client version 0.1.0.2 - program settings (animated image):
LIII BitTorrent Client version 0.1.0.2 - context menu (static image):
LIII BitTorrent Client version 0.1.0.2 - program in action (animated image):
LIII BitTorrent Client version 0.1.0.2 - tray control (static image):
LIII BitTorrent Client version 0.1.0.2 - tray notification (static image):
LIII BitTorrent Client version 0.1.0.2 - about (static image):
LIII BitTorrent Client supports portable mode since version 0.1.0.2- data and settings can be saved in program folder. In previous versions data and settings were saved in AppData.
- Donwload the archive (bin.zip);
- Extract the archive to a folder of your choice;
- Create empty file without extension and name it portable;
- Run the executable (LIII.exe);
- Configuration files (LIII.ini and modelState.xml) will be saved in LIII sub-folder inside program folder;
Since LIII BitTorrent Client uses Qt5 I suppose it should run under Windows 7 or higher.
LIII BitTorrent Client is licensed under MIT License.
- LIII BitTorrent Client is written in C++.
- LIII BitTorrent Client is in early development so currently (as of version 0.1.0.2) the program is rather basic and does not offer many customization options.
- Since LIII BitTorrent Client is very easy to configure and use it is very suitable for less experienced users.
- LIII BitTorrent Client seems stable- during my brief tests I did not experience crahes or other problems.
- LIII BitTorrent Client is not huge- 10.9 MB compressed, 26.8 MB uncompressed.
- With less than 10 torrents LIII BitTorrent Client is very moderate on resource usage- under Windows 8 x64 it uses about 30-60 MB of RAM.
- The developer implemented portable mode 5 days after the initial request.
A couple of programs with similar functionality:
File details for LIII BitTorrent Client version 0.1.0.2 (released on 2018-11-10):
File Size: 11432546 Byte(s) (10.90 MB)
Modified Date: 2018-11-10 18:06
File Size: 8374834 Byte(s) (7.99 MB)
Modified Date: 2018-11-10 17:47