Classic Browser (Chromium based)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
WinUser

Re: Classic Browser (Chromium based)

#16 Post by WinUser »

Andrew Lee wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:33 am How about settings?

eg. appearance, search engine etc.?
What about them? Your question is too broad. :?

Andrew Lee

#17 Post by Andrew Lee »

I mean, are settings preserved when running Classic Browser on a different machine?

WinUser

#18 Post by WinUser »

Andrew Lee wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:42 am I mean, are settings preserved when running Classic Browser on a different machine?
Only if you also grab this folder...

C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\ClassicUser

SYSTEM

#19 Post by SYSTEM »

WinUser wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:32 am
Andrew Lee wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:42 am I mean, are settings preserved when running Classic Browser on a different machine?
Only if you also grab this folder...

C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\ClassicUser
So that's not portable at all.

We have a definition of portability in our about page, and not having to manually copy settings around is the most important part.

I myself used to carry my external SSD between home and office every day. It was very convenient that apps I used retained settings between the two PCs: I didn't need to configure everything twice, live with defaults, or set up online synchronization (which is only available for biggest apps and is a wrong solution to begin with IMHO).
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Midas

#20 Post by Midas »

QED: "no-install" ≠ "portable"... :|

WinUser

#21 Post by WinUser »

SYSTEM wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:48 am We have a definition of portability in our about page, and not having to manually copy settings around is the most important part.
So I've been told... but it's full of fallacies:

ie: “It must not have any coupling with Internet Explorer…”

Well here’s some news for you fellas…

Every single 3rd party Windows browser relies on the presence of IE to work.

You see... the only true full-blown browser is IE which lays down all the complex communications networking protocols, handshaking and every single thing that makes communication with the Internet (and indeed any network) possible, thanks to its low-level assembly language programming that laid all the necessary foundations from the onset.

If you find a way to remove IE without damaging Windows, all other non-Microsoft browsers will simply not function anymore.

Therefore, not a single 3rd party Windows browser satisfies your definition of “portable”.

SYSTEM

#22 Post by SYSTEM »

WinUser wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:19 pm
SYSTEM wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:48 am We have a definition of portability in our about page, and not having to manually copy settings around is the most important part.
So I've been told... but it's full of fallacies:

ie: “It must not have any coupling with Internet Explorer…”
That's a part of Andrew's ideal definition of "portable": how portable apps would be at their best. The parts other than "run without installation" and "save settings in app folder" are optional.

In my above use case of carrying my apps between home and work, I didn't care about IE dependency at all. Both PCs have IE anyway.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

WinUser

#23 Post by WinUser »

SYSTEM wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:33 pm That's a part of Andrew's ideal definition of "portable": how portable apps would be at their best. The parts other than "run without installation" and "save settings in app folder" are optional.

In my above use case of carrying my apps between home and work, I didn't care about IE dependency at all. Both PCs have IE anyway.
Alright fellas… I’ll leave you to it then and maybe by 2030 you’ll reach some consensus! :lol:

It’s been nice meeting you all. :)