Jarte - word processor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Lodewijk

Re: Jarte - word processor

#46 Post by Lodewijk »

Thank you. 8)

That was indeed what I had not done yet.

I thought that having cloned the new laptop with the latest system backup made from my used one that the same Wi-Fi connection to the printer would be there on the new one also. But not so. The printer was there showing on the new one, but not a Wi-Fi connection yet.

I'm glad it's solved. :lol:

The used laptop with not working buttons is on the way to the repair guys from the shop I got it from years ago. With a printed addresses label on the box.

I got that one after having bought a new laptop for some €350. I found out I got what I paid for. So I looked and found that brand new EliteBook for €950 because the original box was not with it. They told me they'd buy my cheapo laptop from me if I wanted, for €150. So I send it to them. Then they mailed me that after seeing it they were going to give me €175, put an SSD in the EliteBook for me, add a DVD player to be used with it, as it doesn't have one, and also send a Windows 7 Pro and a 8.1 Pro disk with it.

Good guys... :D

PS:
That Window 7 Pro disk is still unused. But it is made for HP laptops. (I'm using 8.1 with StartIsBack on it. I just like it better than 10, which my sister has, and I used for a try out. But that's just a matter of taste, as 10 is also good for those who like it.)

Stephen Leibowitz

Re: Jarte Version 6.0

#47 Post by Stephen Leibowitz »

The Jarte website now says:
Support is no longer provided for Jarte. No further development of the Jarte program is expected.

If you are a Jarte Plus customer who needs a new download link for Jarte Plus then please note that Jarte Plus is now freely available to everyone and can be downloaded from the Download page.

See the Jarte Help document for any other help you may need.
The Download page has a link for the portable version of 6.2, along with instructions.

Midas

Re: Jarte (Plus) v6.2

#48 Post by Midas »

Thanks for telling us, Stephen Leibowitz.

Since all Jarte versions are now free, I'm merging topics (all posts about v6.x are now in the official forum topic). :information_source:

Here's a recap on Jarte's portability: whatever its folder may be, to force Jarte to behave portably there needs to be a plain text file named 'Portable.ini' in its folder with the following content:

Code: Select all

[]
Portable=1

Should you forget to create that file before running Jarte from your Windows drive, you can create it afterwards but you'll have to copy the contents of '%APPDATA%\Jarte' to a sub-folder named 'Data' in the program's folder if you want to keep your settings.

Further portability info is at www.jarte.com /help_new/jarte_as_a_portable_word_processor.html.

fiddler007

#49 Post by fiddler007 »

Jarte, nice, just installed it, latest portable version.

However my firewall (TinyWall, latest) needs to be in autolearn mode or disabled for Jarte to start, although i gave it permmission.
Whats up here?

Stephen Leibowitz

#50 Post by Stephen Leibowitz »

Perhaps TinyWall was triggered by the setting in Jarte, Automatically Check for Updates. It is by default set to on, but can be turned off in Tools > Options.

It can be changed before running Jarte. In Data\Settings.ini
change
Auto Version Check=1
to
Auto Version Check=1

Ennovy

#51 Post by Ennovy »

Jarte Plus is now free
Jarte is a unique word processor based on Microsoft's WordPad word processing engine. The WordPad engine is already built into every copy of the Windows operating system. Jarte wraps itself around the WordPad engine and adds many more features than provided by the WordPad program. In effect, Jarte is a major upgrade to Microsoft's WordPad. However, Jarte does not replace or disturb your existing WordPad program. In fact, you can run both Jarte and WordPad at the same time.
But Microsoft is removing WordPad from Windows after nearly 30 years:
https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/3/23857 ... of-support
Microsoft is no longer updating WordPad and plans to remove the word processor from a future release of Windows. The software giant will instead recommend Microsoft Word, its paid word processor that has always been far more feature rich than the basic WordPad app that has shipped as part of Windows since Windows 95.

lintalist

#52 Post by lintalist »

softaims wrote:...being portable on a USB is super convenient.
You start to act and sound like a spammer. The comment is very generic and you didn't even read the post above yours I think. Your other posts are also not very helpful. Wouldn't be because you want to plug your website would it?

webfork

#53 Post by webfork »

lintalist wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:20 pm You start to act and sound like a spammer. The comment is very generic and you didn't even read the post above yours I think. Your other posts are also not very helpful. Wouldn't be because you want to plug your website would it?
Yeah looks like it's just a bot poster pushing a website. Thanks for pointing that out.

lintalist

#54 Post by lintalist »

A tip I just read here:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=38901390 wrote:Rip C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories and back it up somewhere. WordPad.exe is standalone. If you're running Win7+ you'll need the en-us/muis/etc, if you pull from an XP install wordpad.exe is all you'll ever need to do.

Ennovy

#55 Post by Ennovy »

lintalist wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:46 am A tip I just read here:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=38901390 wrote:Rip C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories and back it up somewhere. WordPad.exe is standalone. If you're running Win7+ you'll need the en-us/muis/etc, if you pull from an XP install wordpad.exe is all you'll ever need to do.

I tested this in Windows Sandbox where WordPad is not available
Copied the folder C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories and Jarte into the sandbox and both seem to work fine

juverax

#56 Post by juverax »

This thread is about Jarte .... and it tuns out this thread also contains valuable information about MS Wordpad ..... Interesting topic indeed!
I followed the instructions and got TWO versions of Wordpad.

First I got Wordpad from a XP ISO (expand wordpad.ex_ \yourpath wordpad.exe), as suggested somewhere. The wordpad.exe is 334 Kb and works like a charm.
Then I copied Wordpad from C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories as instructed, but it did not work, Error message: "Unable to create new document".
Size of Wordpad.exe: 4,443Kb
So I created a shortcut to Wordpad in a personal folder. This version of Wordpad now works, I can see that it is a different version with more functionalities.

Thanx to all the posters in this thread, I learned something today :D