Firefox - web browser

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
bitcoin

Re: Firefox Portable

#121 Post by bitcoin »

SYSTEM wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:03 am
bitcoin wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:32 am
SYSTEM wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:49 amWebsite owners can track users anyway (via JavaScript, for example). Not implementing ping tracking would merely drive site owners to use other techniques. And other suggestions here, such as displaying a prompt, would likely be extremely annoying (I bet that ping attribute is already being used all over the place).
how about just don't track people who don't want to be tracked?
Who is that remark directed at?
you

SYSTEM

#122 Post by SYSTEM »

bitcoin wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:16 am
bitcoin wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:32 am

how about just don't track people who don't want to be tracked?
you
All right then. Fortunately I don't have a site of my own, so I already don't track you. Glad to be of help!
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

SYSTEM

#123 Post by SYSTEM »

Mozilla is considering a paid version of Firefox: https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/ne ... x-in-works

Midas

#124 Post by Midas »

Yep, seen it at Ghacks.net. Although I personally don't intend to use it, best of lucks is my wish. :|

webfork

#125 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:30 am Yep, seen it at Ghacks.net. Although I personally don't intend to use it, best of lucks is my wish. :|
Martin's (of Ghacks) thoughts mirror my own on the topic. I have already had good experience with Protonmail and ProtonVPN so if they were to create a partnership there, I'd certainly be on board. I've also really enjoyed Pocket but haven't felt drawn to the premium service. If it came as a packaged deal or included auto-donations to add-on developers, I'd be very interested.

That said, I do hope they continue to give 95% of their focus to the current browser effort and just make another service they offer.

rbon

#126 Post by rbon »

Hint request,
I am thinking of switching from Chromium (75.0.3770.80) to Firefox (67.x.x) and I would like to know if there are addons free (or pay) that allow you to print web pages (or parts of them) on a pdf file, as well as do (well) Chromium.
Thank You in advance.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

zorro

#127 Post by zorro »

Hi rbon,
I searched a while ago and decided to go with Print to PDF, because it seems the only extension, that processes the output in the browser, without help of distant websites/server.
The output is not as polished as in chromium browsers (I use Vivaldi as second browser and presume that its PDF-output ist the same as for the other chromium-based browser), but at least you have some options to tune the PDF.
Unfortunately you have to do that in the extension's general options dialog, so quickly changing the page size before saving isn't possible. If you press the button or the menu entry, you are immediately prompted with a "save to" dialog - no preview. Technically it seems to use an internal firefox-function.
These are certainly big drawbacks in comparison to the chromium way, but at that time I did not found any other extension working without homecalls.

For polished output and for websites where privacy isn't a concern, I use PrintFriendly with a bookmarklet, but they also have an extension for FF. The output is great and you can manually delete unwanted elements in the preview before saving. Of course this way doesn't work with with websites, where you have to be logged in to see the content, because technically PrintFriendly simply sends the URL to their server, where the website is processed.

Hope this answer helps you a bit :)

webfork

#128 Post by webfork »

rbon wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:57 am I would like to know if there are addons free (or pay) that allow you to print web pages (or parts of them) on a pdf file, as well as do (well) Chromium.
The previous version of PDF Edit was among my favorite extensions, and carried a remarkable amount of functionality. I miss some of those extras, but the version updated for WebExtensions (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search) is also very good. You can delete a lot of useless junk before export to PDF, saving time, ink, and removing distractions.

rbon

#129 Post by rbon »

Many thanks for Your fast answers to:
@zorro
@webfork

I'll try hints of both.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

Midas

#130 Post by Midas »

For the more privacy and security conscious Firefox users, an article detailing how to setup a lesser known new functionality.

How to enable DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH) in Firefox

There's no info on the minimum version for this to work, so I would assume it only does with the latest versions of the browser.

In a nutshell, all it requires is manually changing the following "Trusted Recursive Resolver" entries through 'about:config':

network.trr.mode
network.trr.uri
network.trr.bootstrapAddress

webfork

#131 Post by webfork »

enable DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH) in Firefox
This is great news and I'm surprised it took this long. As to the concerns by the UK that this will "cripple its national web blocking scheme" (source) all I can say is thanks but no thanks. VPNs have been doing that since almost the beginning.

I'll be enabling this on all my machines.

bitcoin

#132 Post by bitcoin »

SYSTEM wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:52 am

you
All right then. Fortunately I don't have a site of my own, so I already don't track you. Glad to be of help!
lol, i just meant other websites

bitcoin

#133 Post by bitcoin »

rbon wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:57 am Hint request,
I am thinking of switching from Chromium (75.0.3770.80) to Firefox (67.x.x) and I would like to know if there are addons free (or pay) that allow you to print web pages (or parts of them) on a pdf file, as well as do (well) Chromium.
Thank You in advance.
i use DoPDF v7.3 or so - installs to the OS instead of the browser so it works on whatever browser you are using

some of the later versions they were using that Candy something adware so i stayed at v7.3

SYSTEM

#134 Post by SYSTEM »

bitcoin wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:13 pm
SYSTEM wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:52 am

you
lol, i just meant other websites
In that case I refer right back to an earlier post of mine. Site owners would continue to track you, with or without ping tracking. Disabling ping tracking by default wouldn't help at all.

Specular

#135 Post by Specular »

It's my understanding that allowing FF Portable to update itself still retains its portability, correct? Just wanted to confirm since recent versions seem to force updates regardless of the user preferences or about:config options.