Firefox - web browser

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Midas

Re: Firefox Portable

#106 Post by Midas »

In brief, there seems to be an expired certificate issue causing a problem with Firefox addons...

An expired certificate on the Mozilla Add-ons infrastructure is disabling Firefox add-ons for millions of users, and is also preventing users from re-activating or (re-)installing extensions.

billon

#107 Post by billon »

and they blame google for failures of their miserable "foundation"
with such friends you don't need any enemies
just fucking unbelievable

webfork

#108 Post by webfork »

Mike.S.G. wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:10 am The rest of us need to re-enable telemetry and studies, close then open Firefox.
Strange, I didn't see any of this. No issues on my Mac or Windows machines and I have a LOT of add-ons. Weird.

Midas

#109 Post by Midas »

Related announcement from the Mozilla Addons Blog...
There are a number of work-arounds being discussed in the community. These are not recommended as they may conflict with fixes we are deploying.

For further info on the fixes, check the above blog post, as well as https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/39047.

SYSTEM

#110 Post by SYSTEM »

Mozilla has a technical breakdown about the incident: https://hacks.mozilla.org/2019/05/techn ... on-outage/
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Qumbranie

#111 Post by Qumbranie »

Is there a portable Firefox available for Ubuntu that doesn't need to be installed to run?

Midas

#112 Post by Midas »

@Qumbranie: although your question is somewhat outside the scope of our forum, you might want to check https://bintray.com/probono/AppImages/Firefox. YMMV, though... :|

Midas

#113 Post by Midas »

Mozilla is apologizing for the whole extensions bungle and providing full disclosure:

www.ghacks.net /2019/05/10/mozilla-apologizes-for-recent-add-on-disabling-issue-and-provides-details/
betanews.com/2019/05/10/mozilla-firefox-add-ons-fix-telemetry-deletion/

OTOH, they're adding yet another tracking device to the browser, without convenient user safeguards or easy opt-out paths:

Mozilla revealed recently that it would integrate Hyperlink Ping Tracking in the Firefox web browser and enable it by default.

SYSTEM

#114 Post by SYSTEM »

Midas wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 5:08 am OTOH, they're adding yet another tracking device to the browser, without convenient user safeguards or easy opt-out paths:

Mozilla revealed recently that it would integrate Hyperlink Ping Tracking in the Firefox web browser and enable it by default.
From the linked article:
Martin Brinkmann wrote: It is quite puzzling that Mozilla would enable ping tracking in Firefox by default without user safeguards. Options could include highlighting links with the Ping attribute in a special way, displaying a prompt to users when they first encounter Pings, or better yet, disabling the feature by default but asking users whether they would like to opt-in when it is encountered.
Website owners can track users anyway (via JavaScript, for example). Not implementing ping tracking would merely drive site owners to use other techniques. And other suggestions here, such as displaying a prompt, would likely be extremely annoying (I bet that ping attribute is already being used all over the place).

I can see Mozilla implementing an option to disable the ping attribute, but not more than that.

Midas

#115 Post by Midas »

SYSTEM wrote: I can see Mozilla implementing an option to disable the ping attribute, but not more than that.
Which they should have done already, IMHO. :|

giulia

#116 Post by giulia »

hi
but it's not stealth
it creates several folder inside c:\Users\ ....
have you checked?
thanks

Guido76

#117 Post by Guido76 »

Hello,
Some say that the FirefoxPortable launcher has not integrated all the new features of Firefox, and it behaves differently depending on the version used: portable version or installed version.
Is that possible ?
Should it update the entire FirefoxPortable folder by downloading the new versions from the PortableApps website or update Firefox by accepting the Mozilla notification that appears when using the software?
Thank you for your answers, and my apologies for the English a bit hesitant ...

JohnTHaller

#118 Post by JohnTHaller »

You can use the built in updater but it will leave some empty folders behind on the local machine. The best thing to do is update the whole app. This is automatic and super-easy with the PortableApps.com Platform and takes just a handful of steps without it: https://portableapps.com/support/portable_app#upgrading
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

bitcoin

#119 Post by bitcoin »

SYSTEM wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:49 amWebsite owners can track users anyway (via JavaScript, for example). Not implementing ping tracking would merely drive site owners to use other techniques. And other suggestions here, such as displaying a prompt, would likely be extremely annoying (I bet that ping attribute is already being used all over the place).
how about just don't track people who don't want to be tracked?

SYSTEM

#120 Post by SYSTEM »

bitcoin wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:32 am
SYSTEM wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:49 amWebsite owners can track users anyway (via JavaScript, for example). Not implementing ping tracking would merely drive site owners to use other techniques. And other suggestions here, such as displaying a prompt, would likely be extremely annoying (I bet that ping attribute is already being used all over the place).
how about just don't track people who don't want to be tracked?
Who is that remark directed at?

This topic is about whether it's a good idea for Mozilla to implement ping tracking or enable it by default. Like I already explained, if Mozilla were to disable it by default, site owners would just use other tracking techniques. Sure, you can state that site owners shouldn't do it, but they still would.