Signal - cross-platform secure messaging (64-bit only)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
SYSTEM

Re: Signal - cross-platform secure messaging (64-bit only)

#31 Post by SYSTEM »

Signal has now adopted a cryptocurrency (with ties to Moxie Marlinspike, the Signal founder) for mobile payments: https://amycastor.com/2021/04/07/signal ... rlinspike/

This looks like a scheme to make money for Marlinspike: he most likely holds some MobileCoin reserves and they have now multiplied in price due to this announcement.

This looks highly shady. I recommend avoiding Signal from now on.

https://www.stephendiehl.com/blog/signal.html
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Midas

#32 Post by Midas »

Midas

#33 Post by Midas »

Better news for Signal (also for Telegram):
Sensor Tower Store Intelligence data reveals that mobile users flocked to alternatives led by Telegram and Signal following the announcement. In the first four months of 2021, Telegram’s installs climbed 98% year-over-year to more than 161 million, while Signal saw its first-time downloads surge 1,192% Y/Y to 64.6 million.

kirito

#34 Post by kirito »

SYSTEM wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:17 am Signal has now adopted a cryptocurrency (with ties to Moxie Marlinspike, the Signal founder) for mobile payments: https://amycastor.com/2021/04/07/signal ... rlinspike/

This looks like a scheme to make money for Marlinspike: he most likely holds some MobileCoin reserves and they have now multiplied in price due to this announcementNulls Brawl

This looks highly shady. I recommend avoiding Signal from now on.

https://www.stephendiehl.com/blog/signal.html
I had some doubts about Signal. but your post cleared them. thanks for sharing these links with us and for your advice.

thomas121

#35 Post by thomas121 »

Signal is designed to never collect or store any sensitive information. Signal messages and calls cannot be accessed by us or other third parties because they are always end-to-end encrypted, private, and secure.gbwhatsapp

Nioke

#36 Post by Nioke »

thomas121 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:42 am Signal is designed to never collect or store any sensitive information. Signal messages and calls cannot be accessed by us or other third parties because they are always end-to-end encrypted, private, and secure. nulls clash is a best app too.
Yes...It uses the end-to-end encryption powered by Signal Protocol which is used in the WhatsApp Messenger too.

hamasaki

#37 Post by hamasaki »

redrichard wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:08 am Is the signal a free app?

I just downloaded Signal App from Play Store a few days ago, and when I open the Signal App to register a account, a subscription message appears.
It is free, the subscription is optional and considered a donation. They try and get people to subscribe/donate to support the project:
https://signal.org/donate/

webfork

#38 Post by webfork »

kirito wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:25 pm But i don't think that any instant messaging app is gonna beat WhatsApp. Master Royale Infinity Download
WhatsApp is the largest messaging service in the world with over 2 billion monthly active users while Signal stands at 10-20 million monthly active users.[/url]
Not sure the objective is to beat them. For example, I don't think Apple has any plans to take over the PC or mobile markets, they're comfortable being the "premium" brand and staying at roughly 10%.

I will say I much prefer Signal to WhatsApp simplicity/reliability so even without the privacy stuff I likely wouldn't switch back.

Midas

#39 Post by Midas »

Mod note: Kirito's message has been deleted -- users reported it as (hidden) Spam...

Marie143

#40 Post by Marie143 »

This generally means that you sacrifice a lot of space for tools that work on any computer you like.

Midas

#41 Post by Midas »

For the community's consideration:
Molly is an independent Signal fork for Android. [...] Molly-FOSS is the community effort to make it 100% free and open-source.

bestty

#42 Post by bestty »

I think there is one problem in using signal which is it's not a free application like WhatsApp or telegram.

Which I think no one can afford to pay for it, its just useable for private messaging who want to be private on it.

webfork

#43 Post by webfork »

bestty wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:58 am I think there is one problem in using signal which is it's not a free application like WhatsApp or telegram.
Signal is free but does accept donations.

Whatsapp sells userdata to fund development so it's not really free.

Marc1

#44 Post by Marc1 »

bestty wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:58 am GB WhatsAppI think there is one problem in using signal which is it's not a free application like WhatsApp or telegram.

Which I think no one can afford to pay for it, its just useable for private messaging who want to be private on it.
While it's true that Signal is not a free application like WhatsApp or Telegram, its focus on privacy and security is worth the cost for those who prioritize those values. Additionally, Signal's use is not limited to just private messaging, as it can also be used for group chats and voice/video calls.

Robin-1

#45 Post by Robin-1 »

Marc1 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:04 am While it's true that Signal is not a free application like WhatsApp or Telegram, its focus on privacy and security is worth the cost for those who prioritize those values. Additionally, Signal's use is not limited to just private messaging, as it can also be used for group chats and voice/video calls.GBWhatsApp APK
It is FREE to use. Signal is not charging anyone for using its services. However, if you want to support it, then you can donate at your free will.