[Sordum] Windows Update Blocker

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Cornflower

Re: [Sordum] Windows Update Blocker

#16 Post by Cornflower »

juverax wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:26 pm ... I just don't get it ... Why use an app to block (completely or selectively) Windows 10 updates, when this can be achieved simply with registry tweaks?
There are many websites explaining how to do that: you see exactly the changes you are making to the registry and you don't have to worry if the app contains malware.
I agree with vevy. Not everyone is comfortable with the same abilities re: tweaking and registry as are others, even on this forum.

Most of my hacking was Windows 2000 and earlier, and before security lockdowns became the norm. I felt that I could really make my Windows 2000 "sing" through the registry.
But as I am now a bit (lot) older, I find I forget some of the places I have tweaks, etc. should I need to repeat any of them. I take more notes, and rely more on GUI or scripts with the parameters I know in either famulus or a batch file.

I really like the Sordum suite
ref: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25301
and viewtopic.php?f=22&t=25291

because so many of them do one thing and have both CLI and GUI options. I don't yet use many, but as I use one, I can use it either way, and my not-so-young mind can work with them.

I applaud your ability with the registry, juverax. Brings back memories.

Mike.S.G.

#17 Post by Mike.S.G. »

If I could BUMP this topic :)

Wonderin' if WUB is still used to help control Win10 and unwanted updates per the user's choice to do so? Does WUB still work as advertised or has MS made it harder (impossible) to control the OS with recent versions of 10 -- temp./perm. blocking unwanted updates/drivers, etc, rendering WUB basically useless?

If you run Win10 and have had success controlling what/how/when your OS is updated, and you're not doing it via WUB, what do you use, how do you accomplish such a goal?

TIA :)

Midas

#18 Post by Midas »

Mike.S.G. wrote: If you run Win10 and have had success controlling what/how/when your OS is updated, and you're not doing it via WUB, what do you use, how do you accomplish such a goal?
I'm precisely in that situation with one of my work machines -- but I completely gave up on updates, after trying multiple times (for further details, see viewtopic.php?t=25202).

When the situation becomes untenable, I plan a full updated re-install... :|

Andrew Lee

#19 Post by Andrew Lee »

Mike.S.G. wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:07 am If you run Win10 and have had success controlling what/how/when your OS is updated, and you're not doing it via WUB, what do you use, how do you accomplish such a goal?
Sorry, can't help you here. I schedule the update till the latest possible eg. 7 days from now. Then at a time that is convenient for me within that period, I select "Update now", cross my fingers, and hope for the best :D

It's a really painful part of using Windoze, but remember there was a time when M$ didn't even give you a chance to schedule the update. They just automatically do it and reboot the machine when you are not looking!

Mike.S.G.

#20 Post by Mike.S.G. »

Really sorry to hear Win10 is still a pain in the butt. I suppose the only thing one can do is delay (IIRC) about 30 days using Group Policy and a Metered Connection - this sucks. I have some old new parts and I wanted to build a SFF system and put Win10 Pro x64 on it but I don't want to stress that the next round of updates may/may break somethin'. If I can find 8.1 Pro x64 I think I will just install it instead.

Midas

#21 Post by Midas »

Mike.S.G. wrote: If I can find 8.1 Pro x64 I think I will just install it instead.

That was precisely my choice in a new laptop I'm setting up -- I managed to download the official ISO from my university repo, but a tool like HeiDoc DotNET Windows ISO Downloader might help you get the freely available installation images (you'll have to provide a license afterwards, if you don't already have one).

Mike.S.G.

#22 Post by Mike.S.G. »

Midas wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:39 pm
Mike.S.G. wrote: If I can find 8.1 Pro x64 I think I will just install it instead.

That was precisely my choice in a new laptop I'm setting up -- I managed to download the official ISO from my university repo, but a tool like HeiDoc DotNET Windows ISO Downloader might help you get the freely available installation images (you'll have to provide a license afterwards, if you don't already have one).
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it. As far as a legitimate key, I'd hoped to find something at newegg or amazon, nuthin' but win10 media last I looked.

Wonderin', did 8.1 come with the important update already installed... IIRC, kb2919355, referred to as 8.1 update? When I reinstalled 8.1x64 on a new ssd on my laptop the iso I downloaded from MS thankfully had it already applied... I did however have to run a scary dism command to get .net 3.5 installed, didn't want to rely on WU to get it done.

I know this is getting a bit off topic but I'll add this last bit, I hope it will help others.

As I said, I needed to reinstall my OS on to a new ssd, I knew my iso may or may not have the important update (kb2919355), I was grateful my iso had it already applied... the horror stories of failure were numerous due to the important multi update/update installation order needed for success. I believe I dodged a bullet not having to do it manually.

Also, I needed .net 3.5, the iso didn't have 3.5 installed, WU failed most of the time for others so the best I found was running a dism command, pointing to my usb source - keeping fingers crossed... here's the tip. The install was going fine until ~ 60% complete - then progress stopped, for literally 5 or 6 minutes, stuck at 64% - so I thought. This is where you need to be patient. It wasn't stuck, but was quietly working in the background. Boom, it continued on to 100% complete, successfully installed. Point is just be patient and keep your hands off the machine. I was fretting, was about to intervene - I'm glad I didn't - hands off.

Finally, and really scary - the dreaded bios flash... don't fear this anymore, definately not if you're using newer boards. I really like Gigabyte's qflash and qflash plus (no cpu required). OTOH, I needed to update my laptop bios the old school way, again patience, hands off. Most machines will reboot on their own when done. If you can use a battery backup. On laptops, charge up the battery and also plug in to ac power while flashing :)

Point here... my laptop did an unexpected thing causing me to jump, and panic... as part of the update process, the fan ramps up to 100% to blow out the dust. I didn't expect this, it startled me (very loud), I thought something was wrong, and I wanted to shut down my laptop... I'm glad I didn't. I noticed the fan begin to slow - things were back to normal. Point is - hands off, be patient. I did find some info on what happened, it was normal for my Lenovo, maybe laptops in general. Modern motherboards are very easy to flash, and you should, don't wait to have a problem - mitigate it :) The only thing I would avoid are the beta updates. If you feel apprehensive, of course leave well enough alone, it is after all your choice.

MSG steps off his soapbox :oops:

Midas

#23 Post by Midas »

I know of no easy way to check an ISO for inclusion of a particular system update, apart from checking available date and release information -- highly uncertain in my experience. But you could solve the issue by slipstreaming updates yourself.

Here's some resources dealing with the subject (untested!):

As for BIOS updates, fortunately this is something you only do once or twice in a machine life. I usually go for it as soon as I get a new machine and most often than not, never have to fuss with again.

Although that might be changing with the dissemination of tech such as UEFI/secure boot, TPM, PXE, AMT or IME... I strongly recommend anyone concerned with these should familiarize themselves with projects like CoreBoot or LibreBoot. It seems you can't be too cautious these days...

Mike.S.G.

#24 Post by Mike.S.G. »

Midas wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:57 am<snip> I know of no easy way to check an ISO for inclusion of a particular system update...
I assumed you had already installed the OS.

The first thing I did after installation (before going online) was check installed updates, I was happy to see kb2919355 was included.

Midas

#25 Post by Midas »

Mike.S.G. wrote: I assumed you had already installed the OS.

Oh, but I had -- I just didn't catch your meaning. Glad it worked out as expected for you. :)

Dwel

#26 Post by Dwel »

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks.