Notepad3 - text editor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Re: Notepad3 - text editor

#31 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:10 am Notepad3 defaults to a different locale date and time format
You might have wondered if anyone else would care as you were drafting that, but this is actually a frustratingly common topic for me. Thanks for the excellent detail.

Midas

#32 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote:You might have wondered if anyone else would care as you were drafting that, but this is actually a frustratingly common topic for me.

Don't tell me about frustration, this is one of my main gripes with most software I test. :(

So much so that I have come to take it for granted -- i.e., unless the dev expressly states otherwise, I expect formats to be excruciatingly non-compliant with international standards.

Thus, this effort isn't really selfless, it's here for the benefit of my future self... ;)

webfork

#33 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:27 am Thus, this effort isn't really selfless, it's here for the benefit of my future self... ;)
Of course :)

Midas

#34 Post by Midas »

Midas wrote: Notepad3 defaults to a different locale date and time format -- i.e., something along the lines of '%I:%M %p %m/%d/%Y' in a Python strftime(?) directive look-alike (e.g., see https://strftime.org/).

All of this is rather confusing because Notepad3 online help (https://www.rizonesoft.com/documents/) is void of any reference and so it took me days to figure it out.

Quick note to point out that Notepad3's Github repo (github.com/rizonesoft/Notepad3) does contain detailed info about the settings in 'notepad3.ini' file.

webfork

#35 Post by webfork »

So a new version of Notepad3 is out (Ennovy already covered the updated post) but two things that jumped out at me in the update include more markdown support and a dark mode.

The dark mode improvements are clear between new and old versions (new version is lower-left):

Midas

#36 Post by Midas »

Midas wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:10 am As it turns out, there was a further INI file at '%PROGRAMFILES%\Notepad3\Notepad3.ini' (my install location in Windows 10) [...]
This cascading configuration prevented other path changes from taking effect...
FYI, enlightenment on a host of Notepad3 INI directives can be found at the following Github entry: