Vivaldi - Opera Browser Alternative

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Message
Author
User avatar
SYSTEM
Posts: 1780
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Vivaldi - Opera Browser Alternative

#76 Post by SYSTEM » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:08 am

Vivaldi 1.5 released: https://vivaldi.net/en-US/teamblog/181- ... di-browser

Highlighted changes:
  • ability to drag multiple tabs into a different window at once
  • automatic screenshots in notes
  • Reader Mode
  • Philips Hue lights integration
  • delta updates on Windows
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 12th playlist: November 1, 2018

User avatar
joby_toss
Posts: 2902
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:57 am
Location: Romania
Contact:

Re: Vivaldi - Opera Browser Alternative

#77 Post by joby_toss » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:50 pm

It's my secondary browser for some time now and I'm quite happy with it; no issues yet (I was using Slimjet before, but it kept crashing my video driver for some reason... even gave me 3 BSOD's).

shnbwmn
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:59 am

Re: Vivaldi 1.6

#78 Post by shnbwmn » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:46 am

Image


Major features/changes:
  • Tab Notifications
  • The ability to rename Tab Stacks
  • Tab Selection


User avatar
joby_toss
Posts: 2902
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:57 am
Location: Romania
Contact:

Re: Vivaldi - Opera Browser Alternative

#80 Post by joby_toss » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:48 am

I have no idea why I can't find this entry in the database, can't imagine how no one added Vivaldi yet... :)

https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2869

Attention: Not stealth - saves multiple settings in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Vivaldi registry branch.

Note: carefully read the EULA (vivaldi://terms or pastebin) and privacy policy (vivaldi.com/privacy/browser).
Optional: go to Settings > Privacy > Report Diagnostics and disable it.
You can also delete additional Locales you don't need, to free up space.

Note2: one can also go through the installation process which provides an "Install standalone" option, but I find that it leaves too many things behind.

P.S. Please, keep in mind that Vivaldi is in no way the perfect portable browser (issues with losing some preferences when switching computers), so I don't think it's quite ready for the database, but I still wanted to create this entry!

User avatar
webfork
Posts: 7880
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: US, Texas
Contact:

Re: Vivaldi - Opera Browser Alternative

#81 Post by webfork » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:15 am

I've done a bit to the description and extract instructions. Hopefully that helps.

I also changed the License from "Freeware with open source components" to just "Freeware". I did this because I don't want to imply that Vivaldi is in any sense open source and lots of programs have open components.
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org

User avatar
Ennovy
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:21 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Vivaldi - Opera Browser Alternative

#82 Post by Ennovy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:17 am

Thanks @joby_toss I voted.

Very good description on how to extract, it works fine.

What if an update arrives? Can you describe what's the best way to update?
Tough times never last but tough people do
-- Robert H. Schuller --

User avatar
joby_toss
Posts: 2902
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:57 am
Location: Romania
Contact:

Re: Vivaldi - Opera Browser Alternative

#83 Post by joby_toss » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:37 am

Sure, here's what I do:
-extract the new installer in the same way (steps 1&2)
-enter Application folder from existing version and delete the launcher vivaldi.exe and the folder containing the app itself, the one with the numbers (1.6.689.40)
-copy from the new version the new numbered folder (1.7.725.3) and the new vivaldi.exe launcher file

Basically you need to keep your User Data folder and the stp.viv file.

I just don't understand why they don't allow the profile folder to be saved inside Application folder (it has to be one level up)...

User avatar
SYSTEM
Posts: 1780
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Vivaldi - Opera Browser Alternative

#84 Post by SYSTEM » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:38 am

Ennovy wrote:What if an update arrives? Can you describe what's the best way to update?
I just use the auto-updater. It likely leaves traces, but I don't care about them.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 12th playlist: November 1, 2018

HairyPorter
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:27 pm

Re: Vivaldi - Opera Browser Alternative

#85 Post by HairyPorter » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:22 pm

joby_toss wrote:saves multiple settings in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Vivaldi [...] issues with losing some preferences when switching computers
Vivaldi's newborn (& already public) database entry states: "Writes settings to: Application folder: /User Data", but doesn't mention that some settings (... Which ones ? Stored at HKCU\SOFTWARE\Vivaldii ?) are lost when Vivaldi's no-install folder is moved between PCs.

Perhaps some sort of remark on the entry to alert potential users ?

User avatar
SYSTEM
Posts: 1780
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Vivaldi - Opera Browser Alternative

#86 Post by SYSTEM » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:58 pm

HairyPorter wrote:
joby_toss wrote:saves multiple settings in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Vivaldi [...] issues with losing some preferences when switching computers
Vivaldi's newborn (& already public) database entry states: "Writes settings to: Application folder: /User Data", but doesn't mention that some settings (... Which ones ? Stored at HKCU\SOFTWARE\Vivaldii ?) are lost when Vivaldi's no-install folder is moved between PCs.

Perhaps some sort of remark on the entry to alert potential users ?
I added such a remark.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 12th playlist: November 1, 2018

User avatar
Ennovy
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:21 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Vivaldi - Opera Browser Alternative

#87 Post by Ennovy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:45 pm

joby_toss wrote:Sure, here's what I do:
-extract the new installer in the same way (steps 1&2)
-enter Application folder from existing version and delete the launcher vivaldi.exe and the folder containing the app itself, the one with the numbers (1.6.689.40)
-copy from the new version the new numbered folder (1.7.725.3) and the new vivaldi.exe launcher file

Basically you need to keep your User Data folder and the stp.viv file.

I just don't understand why they don't allow the profile folder to be saved inside Application folder (it has to be one level up)...
@joby_toss Thank you!
Tough times never last but tough people do
-- Robert H. Schuller --


freakazoid
Posts: 932
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:45 pm

Re: Vivaldi - Opera Browser Alternative

#89 Post by freakazoid » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:03 pm

I couldn't get Vivaldi running with the provided TPFC instructions on Windows 10.

Once I try to run Vivaldi, I see two vivaldi.exe processes in the Task Manager, but they quickly close afterwards.

However, I was able to get Vivaldi running using the regular standalone installer process.

This is with Vivaldi 1.7.735.46.

If you use the standalone installer, Vivaldi copies the entire vivaldi.7z and setup.exe file into its folder. Uncompressed filesize when using this method is 326 MB.
is it stealth? ;)

User avatar
SYSTEM
Posts: 1780
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Vivaldi - Opera Browser Alternative

#90 Post by SYSTEM » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:20 pm

freakazoid wrote:If you use the standalone installer, Vivaldi copies the entire vivaldi.7z and setup.exe file into its folder. Uncompressed filesize when using this method is 326 MB.
Likely reason for that is support for delta updates. A delta update contains the difference, or delta, relative to the previous version, which is useless on its own (without the previous vivaldi.7z).
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 12th playlist: November 1, 2018

Post Reply