Vivaldi (Opera [inspired] browser alternative)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
bitcoin

Re: Vivaldi - Opera Browser Alternative

#106 Post by bitcoin »

the last time i tried Vivaldi each tab spawned a new process

zorro

#107 Post by zorro »

A general question regarding the portability of chrome-based browsers:
The Vivialdi database-entry states that by moving the installation to another PC some settings are reset, including the list of installed extensions - due to chrome generating a hardware binding.
That's right (for Vivaldi) - I tested my "stealth"-launcher once again and indeed by moving Vivaldi, extension data and some settings are reset.

But: why is this not mentioned for other chrome-based browsers like Opera, Chromium, SlimJet etc.
Do they behave different? If yes, how did the developers overcome the issue?
What about Google Chrome Portable from John (PortableApps)?

Vivaldi is the only alternative to Firefox that I found to be usable (for me) and since I did not manage to overcome the hardware-binding, it would be helpful to know, if really all chrome-browsers behave like this.

SYSTEM

#108 Post by SYSTEM »

zorro wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:10 am A general question regarding the portability of chrome-based browsers:
The Vivialdi database-entry states that by moving the installation to another PC some settings are reset, including the list of installed extensions - due to chrome generating a hardware binding.
That's right (for Vivaldi) - I tested my "stealth"-launcher once again and indeed by moving Vivaldi, extension data and some settings are reset.

But: why is this not mentioned for other chrome-based browsers like Opera, Chromium, SlimJet etc.
Do they behave different? If yes, how did the developers overcome the issue?
What about Google Chrome Portable from John (PortableApps)?
AFAIK, all Chrome-based browsers have this problem.

I added the note to Vivaldi's entry because I use Vivaldi as my primary browser and observed the behavior myself.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

zorro

#109 Post by zorro »

Ok, thanks!
But: what about Google Chrome Portable by John T. Haller? Well, I should test it myself or ask John directly...

JohnTHaller

#110 Post by JohnTHaller »

This is a purposeful limitation of Chrome itself and all browsers based on the same code base. It's about as portable-hostile as you can get. The Google Chrome Portable and Iron Portable launchers at PortableApps.com both have code to handle portablization of passwords. They had code to handle portablization of extensions/extensions data, but that was rendered obsolete when those settings were locked to individual PCs as well a few years back. Some other settings of the browser itself will also reset as you move (default search engine and homepage last I checked). You'll also lose any personal certificates you install because Chrome just uses it at the Windows level rather than having its own store. These issues are detailed on the Google Chrome Portable homepage and within the EULA agreement as you install.

The official recommendation for Google Chrome Portable is to remain logged into Google within the browser. That way your extensions/settings will be restored on each PC. Any Chrome-based browser that doesn't support logging into Google or have its own cloud sync option will just lose everything when you move PCs.

All of the above is why I refer to Firefox Portable as the best portable web browser. It doesn't suffer from any of these Chrome-style limitations and Mozilla has been a willing partner for having it packaged portably for over a decade.

It's worth noting that I've approached Vivaldi a couple times about doing a more portable version of their browser ("stealth" as its called here and adding password portability though it would still lose your extensions/some settings as you move PCs) but they are uninsterested. I think, like many companies, they view 'portable' more as 'not having to run an installer' rather than being able to move your stuff around.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

SYSTEM

#111 Post by SYSTEM »

JohnTHaller wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:31 pm Some other settings of the browser itself will also reset as you move (default search engine and homepage last I checked).
Vivaldi doesn't lose them in my experience. Maybe because Vivaldi implements its own UI (including the search box) and therefore stores those preferences independently of Chrome's.

zorro

#112 Post by zorro »

Thanks for the explanation, John!
Yes, Vivaldi seems special - I moved my "stealthed" version to some other machines and the only thing that gets lost is the extension-information. But only, what extensions are/were installed - the extension are there in the user data/default/extensions and if you install them again, you're done, because the settings are kept!

Nevertheless: Firefox is clearly - in my opinion - the best browser, not only in terms of portability... and even more after the controversial "Quantum"-update.
But Vivaldi makes a good and friendly companion...

JohnTHaller

#113 Post by JohnTHaller »

Vivaldi doesn't lose passwords as you move machines now? It did the last time I checked.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

zorro

#114 Post by zorro »

Hit! Just tested -> passwords are gone...
Didn't notice that, because I use KeePass and don' remember which passwords I saved in which browser.

3K3

#115 Post by 3K3 »

I did a quick test of Vivaldi 1.14.1077.50.
Search provider is still preserved but extensions and passwords are lost when you switch PCs.
zorro wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:10 am ...I did not manage to overcome the hardware-binding...
I’m using Vivaldi with a launcher that automatically switches profile folders. Extensions are shared between profiles and only settings are saved to current profile folder.

Specular

#116 Post by Specular »

Are the portable install steps still valid, or have they been superseded by these steps on the official site for the 'standalone' install?

SYSTEM

#117 Post by SYSTEM »

Specular wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:34 pm Are the portable install steps still valid, or have they been superseded by these steps on the official site for the 'standalone' install?
AFAIK, our install steps are still valid, and the main reason why we recommend extracting the installer is that doing so avoids running it.

Specular

#118 Post by Specular »

SYSTEM wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:37 pmAFAIK, our install steps are still valid, and the main reason why we recommend extracting the installer is that doing so avoids running it.
Well that was quick, thanks. So both are valid.

Specular

#119 Post by Specular »

Got around to installing Vivaldi in portable ('Standalone') mode and wanted to mention that it also creates files within AppData. Note that I used the installer to install in portable mode however I'm unsure if these files were created following the installation or after launching the program.

Code: Select all

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\
Currently within it is User Data>Crashpad with an empty reports subdirectory and a settings.dat (another copy of which can be found in the install directory so I'm not sure why it was placed in AppData as well).

Took a look at the registry values contained within HKCU\Software\Vivaldi as mentioned by the database entry and there are rather many tbh, including what appears to be various user and extension preferences. Seems a fairly loose 'portable' to me.

Specular

#120 Post by Specular »

I've noticed in use that when the 'Notify about updates' setting is checked the browser adds a 'Vivaldi update notifier' executable to the Windows Start-up list that checks in the background for updates and continues to run even after exiting the program. Originally I assumed enabling the option would check for updates only while running, especially given it was installed in portable mode.

I've read comments elsewhere that defend this by saying other browsers run such background check programs however in my experience neither Firefox installed normally or portably nor Chromium Portable does this so just a heads-up for those who'd rather avoid it.