Vivaldi (Opera [inspired] browser alternative)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Midas

Re: Vivaldi (Opera [inspired] browser alternative)

#136 Post by Midas »

Vivaldi latest stable version is v3.5 (2115.87), released 2020-12-08 (release announcement at https://vivaldi.com/whats-new-in-vivaldi-3-5/).

Interesting piece comparing what separates Vivaldi from regular Chrome:

While checking for registry junk, I realized that Google keys are set with "RESTRICTED" permissions that prevent them from being deleted by the regular user -- even with administrator privileges -- so I had to find a solution... luckily, this one worked:

Consequently, I have now added Sysinternals RegDelNull to my CLI toolset (docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/regdelnull).

SYSTEM

#137 Post by SYSTEM »

Midas wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:50 am Interesting piece comparing what separates Vivaldi from regular Chrome:
What do you mean "regular Chrome"? Vivaldi is not Chrome or a Chrome shell. It has fully custom UI, not derived from Chrome's. And with its focus on features and customizability, Vivaldi is clearly its own thing rather than merely improved Chrome.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Midas

#138 Post by Midas »

SYSTEM wrote:What do you mean "regular Chrome"? Vivaldi is not Chrome or a Chrome shell.

You may be right -- not my choice of words, though, but Vivaldi's own crew...

webfork

#139 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:50 am Google keys are set with "RESTRICTED" permissions that prevent them from being deleted by the regular user -- even with administrator privileges -- so I had to find a solution... luckily, this one worked
I have a feeling that's going to come for me in the near future. Good post.

Specular

#140 Post by Specular »

Midas wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:50 amWhile checking for registry junk, I realized that Google keys are set with "RESTRICTED" permissions that prevent them from being deleted by the regular user -- even with administrator privileges -- so I had to find a solution... luckily, this one worked:
To be clear, I'm assuming you mean these keys are set by Google Chrome rather than Vivaldi (which uses the Chromium engine), right?

Midas

#141 Post by Midas »

@Specular: I run no Chrome-based product other than Vivaldi and it has the annoying habit of auto-running even when you choose its "Stand-alone" install option, as detailed in previous posts.

So, while I'm not 100% sure, I am very inclined to believe they were created when this happened.

Midas

#142 Post by Midas »

Topic update: Vivaldi v3.6 released 2021-01-28 (changelog at vivaldi.com/blog/desktop/desktop-releases/vivaldi-tabs-two-level/; scroll to the bottom or search for "changelog").

FYI, current Windows desktop 64-bit version being offered is v3.6.2165.40.

juverax

#143 Post by juverax »

Vivaldi's update on cookies and ad-blocking
https://www.theregister.com/2021/04/29/vivaldi_3_8/ (and read the comments)

Midas

#144 Post by Midas »

Cool. 8)

The big G introducing yet another net scourge -- let the FLoC rain on (unsuspecting) people...

FTR, Vivaldi isn't alone in rejecting it:

SYSTEM

#145 Post by SYSTEM »

juverax wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:15 am Vivaldi's update on cookies and ad-blocking
https://www.theregister.com/2021/04/29/vivaldi_3_8/ (and read the comments)
Nice. :) Blocking cookie prompts is similar to how I have set Vivaldi to auto-reject any sites which ask for permission to send push notifications - almost no sites which want it have no business asking for it, and it's more convenient to just not even allow them to ask.

Midas

#146 Post by Midas »

SYSTEM wrote:... auto-reject any sites which ask for permission to send push notifications - almost no sites which want it have no business asking for it, and it's more convenient to just not even allow them to ask.
Ditto.

Midas

#147 Post by Midas »

Topic update: Vivaldi v4.3 2021-10-07 (changelog at https://vivaldi.com/changelog-vivaldi-browser-4-3/).

Please note current build is v4.3.2439.65.

juverax

#148 Post by juverax »

Vivaldi 5.0 : https://www.theregister.com/2021/12/02/vivaldi_5/
Quote: ... Vivaldi CEO Jon von Tetzchner: "I don't think we have any business with collecting information about what people are doing" ...

Midas

#149 Post by Midas »

For one, that stance won me over -- while it's not my primary browser, I use Vivaldi whenever I need a Chrome-based browser, including on Android...

SYSTEM

#150 Post by SYSTEM »

Vivaldi Mail is here: https://vivaldi.com/blog/vivaldi-mail-c ... -are-here/

After Opera and SeaMonkey, I'm once again back having email right in my browser like it should be. 8)