Portable Microsoft Virtual PC 2007

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
lococobra

Portable Microsoft Virtual PC 2007

#1 Post by lococobra »

Download Here

What is Virtual PC?

Use Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 to run multiple operating systems at the same time on the same physical computer. Switch between virtual machines with the click of a button. Use virtual machines to run legacy applications, provide support, train users, and enhance quality assurance.

Virtual PC lets you create separate virtual machines on your Windows desktop, each of which virtualizes the hardware of a complete physical computer. Use virtual machines to run operating systems such as MS-DOS, Windows, and OS/2. You can run multiple operating systems at once on a single physical computer and switch between them as easily as switching applications—instantly, with a mouse click. Virtual PC is perfect for any scenario in which you need to support multiple operating systems, whether you use it for tech support, legacy application support, training, or just for consolidating physical computers.
Last edited by lococobra on Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lococobra

#2 Post by lococobra »

Aww come on people... do you not realize how awesome this is?

Even if it's not completely portable in the sense that it has to install/uninstall some parts..... it's better than moka5.

M@tty

#3 Post by M@tty »

Since I use Virtual PC 2007 quite regularly, and was unsuccessful in portabalising this myself (Even with Thinstall! Thanks to MSXML 6 and it's great annoyances - but with XP SP3 we wont have to worry about this :D) I was quite excited to see the thread title.

After having downloaded it, I can't seem to extract the files.

Can you confirm, is the password !xander_cian! or xander_cian? Alternatively, can you upload a zipped version with no password?

And I don't understand this point - "This is a NSIS style solution! Definitely not stealth!", as all the NSIS portable wrappers I write are indeed stealth. Can you please explain what you mean?

And yeah, source code is pretty much a must for stuff like this. You don't want to be accused of hiding nasty stuff in your programs (Check out the website of the original author of Portable Pidgin, not the PortableApps.com version).

As regards the legality - I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to redistribute the Virtual PC files. Perhaps you should do this the same way as pHamachi/Buri and Portable Foxit Reader do, distribute the wrapper and ask for the user to download the actual program themselves.

lococobra

#4 Post by lococobra »

Thinstall: Yeah, I tried it a bunch of times unsuccessfully... I don't think it's remotely possible.

About the download, try the new 7z sfx file I uploaded, I think that one works.

About the stealth... running the script does all of the following:
1. Installs MSXML 6
2. Installs the service VMMDriver (vmm.sys)
3. Installs the service VMNETService
4. Creates some reg entries

Of course I did my best to clean up everything that was created, but if there's a crash, there's nothing I can do. Also, there may be some stuff I missed...

The program was written in AutoIt, not sure how many people know how to interpret AutoIt code, but I'll work on getting it out there in one form or another.

Distribute it the way Buri... etc. is? Maybe... I have a feeling people would vouch not to try it because collecting all the virtual pc files would be pretty difficult... and (although I haven't really tried very hard) I don't think the files can be extracted via uniextract.

But again, I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the comment.

M@tty

#5 Post by M@tty »

You don't think people would try it if they had to download the files? Have a look at the Popular Titles list - #1 is Foxit Reader Portable. :)

lococobra

#6 Post by lococobra »

Okay, maybe this whole thread should be trashed and recreated...

I made a new version:

Download Here

The zip includes full installation instructions, as well as the program's source.

Enjoy.
Last edited by lococobra on Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

USB_Kx

#7 Post by USB_Kx »

M@tty and lococobra, have you folks bought thinstall? How is it?

Ive been wanting to try that software but it seems getting a hand on a trial is a bit demanding.

Mediocrity finds safety in standardization.
-- Frederick Crane

lococobra

#8 Post by lococobra »

I really don't think that this is the appropriate place to be talking about that, but yes I've tried it.

As for how it is: There are a lot of limitations that have not yet been addressed by the developers which make it not function correctly for the large majority of programs which one would actually want to use it on. Example: Portable Firewall? Thinstall does provide some limited dll/driver support, but it does not support services. Almost every firewall uses a service to monitor activity, so almost every firewall can not be thinstalled. Which makes it a moot point because those firewalls that do not use services can often be made portable without Thinstall. As for ease of use, it is extremely easy to use, but a bit more difficult to become proficient with. Also, since its file capture method is dual snapshotting, it has a habit of capturing registry/file activity which is completely unrelated to the program you are installing. This means that after every capture you complete with Thinstall, you must manually decide exactly what (that was captured) you want to keep. Doing this wrong will almost always make the final exe not function correctly, and not doing this step will lead to unnecessary files and bloated packages.

Good enough? Good.

nycjv321

#9 Post by nycjv321 »

Why not use Qemu for all those VM needs? (portable and more efficient and truly "Free" :) )

M@tty

#10 Post by M@tty »

More efficient? Is that your way of saying slower?

I have QEMU, fully set up in a stripped-down optimised portable manner. It still does not compare to Virtual PC. QEMU is fine for virtualising Linux or BSD etc, but for Windows XP the perfomance leaves a lot to be desired.

lococobra

#11 Post by lococobra »

Agreed

Did you take a look at the new download? Should be just what the doctor ordered. I also rechecked all the cleanup activities and everything looks good.

zoomtictac

what...? how......?

#12 Post by zoomtictac »

Hey guys, I'll tell you right away, I'm no programmer, and as far as learning the possibilities of putting programs onto thumb drives, let's just say I'm just dipping my toe into the pool so far. However, I'm very technically inclined and I learn quickly, sufficiently versed in just about anything Microsoft, and am currently working my way up the certification ladder (MCP, going on MCSA).

That being said, I was running a search for more portables and the words "Virtual PC portable" caught my eye. I scanned through this thread, hoping to find some good news - and instead, my interest switched gears toward wondering what you guys use to scrutinize these otherwise normal programs, package them up, and create a portable version? If someone has the time (or a link to a good resource), I would be VERY grateful to learn the workings behind all this.

PS. In the meantime, I *have* been to various forums before - so yes, I *will* utilize the search and check for FAQ's. :wink:

lococobra

#13 Post by lococobra »

Again, I don't think this is really the right place to be asking those sorts of questions, but I'll give you a bit of info anyways...

The main FAQ has some info... check out "How do you test the programs to ensure they are portable?"
http://www.portablefreeware.com/faq.php

If the program isn't already portable... things can get much more complicated. Most of the time, the only solutions for non-portable programs are: application virtualization or portable launchers.

For info about application virtualization, I suggest you take a look at This

For Portable Virtual PC I wrote a program launcher. All it really does is installs/creates/deletes everything necessary for the real program to launch, launches the program, then attempts to change everything back to how it was before.

Theres more, but that should get you started.

Firewrath

Re: what...? how......?

#14 Post by Firewrath »

zoomtictac wrote: ... my interest switched gears toward wondering what you guys use to scrutinize these otherwise normal programs, package them up, and create a portable version?
for testing, RegShot is generally used,
and some of us around here use JPE to create portable versions of programs,
others use NSIS,
JPE tends to be more on the stealth side but a little picky at times,
while NSIS scripts have a chance of leaving registry entries and files behind if the program crashes, or something similar occurs,

zoomtictac

#15 Post by zoomtictac »

Great. Thanks for the info.

And I apologize, I know random n00b questions like this are hardly at home in a thread like this - I should have researched first. I was just so damn excited. :D

Hopefully after I learn some more about how this all works, I'll be able to contribute to the forum as well. Thanks again.